Rescue 116

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The black boxes would be designed to survive a water landing and should "ping" for a month, provided they activated.......I met Dara Fitzpatrick once at an Open day and she gave me and my friends a very comprehensive tour of the S92. May she and her colleagues rest in peace.

Comment

Shocking news, RIP.

Comment

RIP. Very sad news.

Comment

As I've already posted elsewhere, all SAR professionals the world over share in your grief. So that others may live comes at a bitter cost sometimes. Rest easy Rescue 116.

Comment

I'm not that familiar with the equipment that these crews would be wearing to deal with a water crash landing. Would they have access to life rafts? Cold weather survival suits?
              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

They would more than likely be in immersion suits with life jackets and EPRIBs.

The aircraft had ELTs.

Comment

Reports that the Black Box beacons have been detected:
                  Rescue workers searching for three missing Irish Coast Guard members have detected a signal from the black box belonging to the R116 helicopter.

Comment

One winchman is former AC

Comment

Granuaile is on its way to the location now. Hopefully this indicates that they have found the main wreckage.

I think it's notable that at least as a state we now possess the resources to cope with a complex rescue and recovery operation like this ourselves, which probably wasn't the case in past decades. Helicopters and planes with sophisticated sensors & long endurance, ships with the required survey, sonar recovery equipment, ROV's etc.

Hoping they recover the remaining crew members soon.

Comment

Even fishermen with light and camera booms on the trawling gear and very sensitive sonar are an asset in these dreadful events.

Comment

Hearing reports confirmed this morning that air corps Casa was requested to do top cover on the op r116 was lost on. Air corps declined coast guard request due to crew availability issues. More to follow.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                            Hearing reports confirmed this morning that air corps Casa was requested to do top cover on the op r116 was lost on. Air corps declined coast guard request due to crew availability issues. More to follow.
                            Bloody hell
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              A section of the missing Coast Guard helicopter R116 has been found by Air Accident Investigation Unit inspectors on Blackrock, some 10 kilometres off the Mayo coast.

Meanwhile, the Defence Forces has confirmed a request for it to provide top cover in the mission Rescue 116 subsequently crashed on, was logged at 10:06pm on Monday night, but the Air Corps was not able to carry out the mission as its fixed-wing aircraft was unavailable.

The request was denied due to the fact it was outside normal hours and there was a lack of "experienced personnel" available.
                              It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                              It was the year everything changed.

Comment

At least the military was defended on Newstalk - they pointed the finger at funding and resourcing by department of defence as a reason for loss of key staff and operational knock on effects. i'm shocked and saddened but the budget BS and penny pinching as been going on for too long now. Ill bet the lads and lassies in the AC, especially on the CASA teams will feel pretty down and angry right now, I hope some f***ers in govt are choking on coffee and biscuits this morning. What can you expect from a country without even a full department of defence or full minister - says it all about how seriously our elected gods take the defence protection and support of our nation.
                                Last edited by morpheus; 16 March 2017, 10:21.
                                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                                X