No announcement yet.

Rescue 116

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By coincidence, a brother of a work colleague of mine was one of those called in to man the Casa for that mission and he went in, despite not being officially rostered for on-call. One of the pilots was recalled from holiday leave, not just at home in bed, so it illustrates the difficulty of rounding up an ad-hoc, unrostered posse to fill the Casa (six people, isn't it, for a full crew?) as well as techs to get the aircraft ready from a standing start. If you had had a few pints, you couldn't have gone in, with the best will in the world. so,if anyone is to get a slap for this, take it to AC management and then to the DoD and Finance.

Comment

AS we all know, the fishing industry is one of the most dangerous work environments and considering this, take a look at ais right now 100km off the mayo coast and zoom in to note the amount of, size of , nationality of and imagine the amount of people working out there plundering our waters right now. IT sickens me to think that brave men and women of the coastguard and NS/AC have to put their lives on the line every time some poor exploited deck hand gets injured due to poor and unlawful working environment. The money men behind this complete military style exploitation/ hovering up of fish stocks should be made pay for rescue in some way (i know this is being idealistic) but just take a look at current ais. I think the rescue services will continue to be as busy as they have been for the last few weeks in and out to this fleet (3 long range helo ops in the last two weeks involving ns). It just sickening and all wrong in my opinion. rant over!

Comment

Declan Powers on Marian Finucane this morning. From 30min 50sec. worth a listen.

Comment

My god her voice is irritating.

Good point well made though. (Not that Declan was listened to).
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

plundering our waters right now
            Grind your axe elsewhere . If you want to raise a topic about fish quotas in the EU by all means but 4 people lost their life here on a shout. Have some fking perspective. The modding on this thread is going to get far harsher if this plonkery continues.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

His points were well made but that didn't stop that wagon from glossing over them.

It's a telling indication of the DoDs level of competency, efficiency and agility when they still have Simon Coveney as the Minister on their website

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                Grind your axe elsewhere . If you want to raise a topic about fish quotas in the EU by all means but 4 people lost their life here on a shout. Have some fking perspective. The modding on this thread is going to get far harsher if this plonkery continues.
                Your the one missing the point. As an IRCG volunteer who has worked with some of the crew of 116 i can assure you i have more respect than most. Fact is, there wouldnt have been a shout in the first place (3 in two weeks and all to this fleet) if this massive commercial exercise wasnt happening.

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
                  His points were well made but that didn't stop that wagon from glossing over them.

It's a telling indication of the DoDs level of competency, efficiency and agility when they still have Simon Coveney as the Minister on their website

http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/do...2570BA00421F88

You must be looking at a different one

Comment

Your the one missing the point. As an IRCG volunteer who has worked with some of the crew of 116 i can assure you i have more respect than most. Fact is, there wouldnt have been a shout in the first place (3 in two weeks and all to this fleet) if this massive commercial exercise wasnt happening.
                    How the fk is regular fishing activity relevant ? I'm posting this in white cos I just can't see how you can make the intellectual leap here "fish quotas got R116 crew killed" By that logic you can keep that train going till "European Union kills R116 crew " . Like I said start another thread cos it stinks of axe-grinding.
                    Last edited by trellheim; 20 March 2017, 13:05.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                      How the fk is regular fishing activity relevant ? I'm posting this in white cos I just can't see how you can make the intellectual leap here "fish quotas got R116 crew killed" By that logic you can keep that train going till "European Union kills R116 crew " . Like I said start another thread cos it stinks of axe-grinding.
                      to be strictly fair, its well known reaction to loss - if X hadn't happened, then Y would not have happened.

if the deckhand hadn't injured himself - or been fishing off Spain - then the helicopter wouldn't have been in the air and therefore wouldn't have crashed. technically that might be true, if something failed then that failure might have been spotted on the ground, or that Seagull wouldn't have flown into the engine - but its flawed logic, the truth is that if you operate helicopters you're eventually going to lose one/some, and if you operate helicopters at night, in crap weather, over the water and sometimes at the ragged edge of their capabilities then you're going to lose more.

my ex-wife holds this view over the death of her mother - if someone had called 999 instead of calling NHS 24 when she showed signs of having a stroke she might have survived, this however misses the point that if you smoke 30 a day for 40 years you're eventually going to die of lung cancer. which she did.

Comment

• I agree. Its called attrition; you put enough people in harm's way and, unsurprisingly, some of them won't get to come home. Flying helicopters, even sophisticated ones, is still a risky business and the loss rate of helicopters is always higher than that of fixed wing aircraft and SAR ops hold a higher risk than just tootling from the Don to the Curragh......Ireland,as a State, doesn't do attrition well; it hates having to fess up to making mistakes, especially ones that cost lives; the Niemba massacre, the crash of DH 248, both of which highlighted organisational failures. sadly, it has taken yet another fatal accident to highlight some positives; we, the people hold our rescue services in high esteem (regardless of who is actually flying the helicopters), especially when the rescuers are prepared to go all out for the job; we, the people still respect volunteerism (which is cynically exploited by the State in all walks of life instead of actually funding services) and will often go to the ends of the earth to do it......@ropebag, that logic reminds me of Middle east logic; a taxi was hired by a colleague in Dubai and the driver hit another car at a roundabout, yet my colleague got blamed; if the foreigner hadn't hired a taxi and collided with a native, then it wouldn't have happened, so it's all the foreigner's fault. Money changed hands and my colleague was whisked out of Dubai and never set foot there again.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                          I never once mentioned quotas sir, nor have i any interest in discussing the cfp. There is nothing "regular" as you put it about the fishing activity off our west coast as the numbers are increasing every year. There are 110 approx vessels out there ranging in size from 70m to 110m factory ships, at an average of 30 souls per ship thats 3000 working in very dangerous conditions on these unregulated vessels. the law of averages suggests the bigger the numbers at risk the more callouts for us, or can you not understand that? Im glad it has finally reached the public domain today that the callout turned out to be a laceration to someones thumb, which the skipper of the foreign vessel couldnt manage to communicate properly (something the rescue community have been aware of from day one making this all the more difficult to swallow). when these fleets have moved on to exploit other seas without even a look over their shoulder we will be left to bury our dead. yes im mad and i make no apologies for it.

Comment

• Twice I have had to ring for a Ambulance and each time I was asked questions about the patient.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              I agree. Its called attrition; you put enough people in harm's way and, unsurprisingly, some of them won't get to come home. Flying helicopters, even sophisticated ones, is still a risky business and the loss rate of helicopters is always higher than that of fixed wing aircraft and SAR ops hold a higher risk than just tootling from the Don to the Curragh......Ireland,as a State, doesn't do attrition well; it hates having to fess up to making mistakes, especially ones that cost lives; the Niemba massacre, the crash of DH 248, both of which highlighted organisational failures. sadly, it has taken yet another fatal accident to highlight some positives; we, the people hold our rescue services in high esteem (regardless of who is actually flying the helicopters), especially when the rescuers are prepared to go all out for the job; we, the people still respect volunteerism (which is cynically exploited by the State in all walks of life instead of actually funding services) and will often go to the ends of the earth to do it......@ropebag, that logic reminds me of Middle east logic; a taxi was hired by a colleague in Dubai and the driver hit another car at a roundabout, yet my colleague got blamed; if the foreigner hadn't hired a taxi and collided with a native, then it wouldn't have happened, so it's all the foreigner's fault. Money changed hands and my colleague was whisked out of Dubai and never set foot there again.
                              Excellent post...
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Cue loss of Casa maritime patrol to private operator like CHC which doubles as fixed wing TC - saves the exchequer lots of money (in the here and now) and drives another nail in the coffin of the AC - through no fault of the AC's and to the satisfaction of the useless shower of f**ks in DOD.
                                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                                X