No announcement yet.

Warship? (TV Documentary, Ch4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An awful lot of the day to day stuff would bore the paint off a wall and does not make good TV; lads shooting guns is cool, lads hauling boxes of teabags into a ship is not. In my time, we had quite a few TV crews visit the Don, film for days and 90% of the footage was junked. An awful lot of what the film crew observe is filtered out.

Comment

The child on comms during the live RAS scared me. "Are we pumping diesel now yeh? wha?"
      Training and discipline again shown to be very weak. The engine cooling getting blocked while transiting through potentially hostile waters is also a very worrying problem on a vessel commencing a tour as vessel in command of a task group.
      It was also sad that they insist on referring to ocean as an aircraft carrier. Something she was never built or designed to be. Just because a ship carries aircraft, that doesn't make her an aircraft carrier. Hence the awe in the crew's face when a Proper CV passed them with its air group on deck. I fear for the RN following this show. They seem to be believing government spin.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

It seems that whenever a TV program is made involving the RN it involves a lot of the ship is broken down and old kind of stuff , you would think that someone is trying to portray the service in a poor way so as to gain public support for it's once very proud Britannia rules the waves Navy .
        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

I remember a similar show some years ago following the Antarctic patrol ship which culminated in it being declared a total loss due to flooding caused by machinery failure. The end result was replacing it with another less suitable commercial vessel pressed into naval use.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
            I remember a similar show some years ago following the Antarctic patrol ship which culminated in it being declared a total loss due to flooding caused by machinery failure. The end result was replacing it with another less suitable commercial vessel pressed into naval use.
            Well to be fair, the Endurance (the one that had the flooding) was also a commercial design before it was taken over by the RN. Besides in 2011 when it was formally replaced, the RN had feck all budget for a new build design (remember this was after the 2010 Review).

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
              It seems that whenever a TV program is made involving the RN it involves a lot of the ship is broken down and old kind of stuff , you would think that someone is trying to portray the service in a poor way so as to gain public support for it's once very proud Britannia rules the waves Navy .
              Well I suppose it depends, I mean I remember watching a program about RN operations in the Caribbean, which had the same issues (engine breakdowns), but then you look at the fact that it was based on a 42 that was basically a helicopter platform with a gun at that stage, so it's not surprising that it was breaking down so much.

Comment

A previous version of "Warship" is on ForcesTV on Sundays. It's on HMS Illustrious in 2010. It isn't even out of the Channel before it breaks down. The production IMHO is much better.

It also (so far) protrays the RN as a much more professional outfit.

"Navy School" - oh my lanterning Jesus, made the RDF look shite hot in every aspect

Comment

Navy School! Oh that was so awful, I was mortified for them. Naval Training there seems to be all about being happy and comfy and ringing mumsie when things are getting a bit too difficult.

Comment

Navy School! Oh that was so awful, I was mortified for them. Naval Training there seems to be all about being happy and comfy and ringing mumsie when things are getting a bit too difficult.
                    If it's that bad I'm surprised that the RN actually left it air to be honest, sounds utterly shite in terms of promoting the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                      If it's that bad I'm surprised that the RN actually left it air to be honest, sounds utterly shite in terms of promoting the service.
                      There was a lot of it showing people on orders for failing drill module xyz, and then having a good cry down the phone before deciding that maybe the navy is not for them, only to come back 3 months later.
                      Another was based around a female recruit who was seen in uniform, giving her marine boyfriend a kiss goodbye, breaking the no-touching rule.
                      Anything actually resembling military training was more like what you would expect to see on an ACF training camp. The RDF is the SAS by comparison.

Comment

The report into the near loss of the Endurance found that the flooding was due to an unneeded cleaning of a seawater cooling intake filter which flooded which in turn was due to lack of supervision of a non-mech rating who was helping incorrectly refitted the switch poles causing it to open inadvertently . Poor and all as RN machinery is reputed to be this loss was due to human causes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                          I was chatting to an RN CPO about this the other day.

Apparently whichever gimp was responsible for signing off on the production of this program...signed over absolute editing rights to the people who filmed it.

So what you had was hundreds of hours of footage...trawled for what people want to see.

And unfortunately people aren't interested in military training...

My youngest was quite keen on the Royal Navy...fit...tough...bright...great sportsman...keen to go to sea...travel...its all there...

Then he watched that program you're talking about.

He's applied to join the Army instead.
                          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

These are doing the Service no service;

THREE Royal Navy sailors were arrested after an alleged attack on a kebab shop boss and attempt to steal takings. The men, aged 27, 25, and 21, had been boozing and got into an argument at the late…

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                              These are doing the Service no service;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/361112...b-shop-attack/
                              Originally posted by thescum
                              One of them had been making sexist comments about his girlfriend but the owner is Bengali and speaks a little English so understood what he was saying
                              Originally posted by thescum
                              You don’t expect behaviour like that from British Royal Navy sailors.
                              LOL
                              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X