Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Late John O'Brien ex CS of the 28th Bn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Late John O'Brien ex CS of the 28th Bn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JOHN OB + RIP +.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	699696

It is with sadness that I post news of the passing of John O'Brien ex -C.S.of S.P. Coy of the 28th Infantry Bn at Finner Camp.

His sudden demise after a brief spell in Sligo Hospital came as a shock to many serving and time served members of the 28th Infantry Battalion.

He was held in high regard by many from outside the Battalion who had occasion to stay at Finner.

Nothing was to much trouble for John too help any based their or passing through who needed assistance.

John or "OB" as he was known and hailed from Ballyhaunis started his career with the 18th Infantry Battalion (FCA)

after joining the PDF he was based in Finner Camp, where I made his acquaintance first in the late summer of 1976 when he held the post of OPPS SGT.

By the time I left in 1997 he was Company Sgt of SP Coy 28th Inf Bn.

Recently retired, he sadly had not much time to enjoy his life in civvie street.

May he + Rest In Peace +

Funeral arrangements for O.B. reposing in Feehily's Funeral Home Cartron Cross Sligo from 2 till 5 Monday 8th May, departing at 5 o'clock for Gavin's Funeral home in Ballyhaunis for 7 departing Gavins Funeral Home at 8 for Church Mass of the Resurrection Tuesday 9th at 12 in Ballyhaunis.

For those people who may not be able to attend John O'Briens funeral on Tuesday in Ballyhaunis 1200hrs a webcam will be available by going to ballyhaunisparish.ie to view the webcam. There is also a facebook connection on the site.

He seemed like a really great bloke. It's sad when the good ones go.
    Sorry for your loss CS.
    RIP OB.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I was introduced to OB as a young 3 star Pte in the fca back in 2003/2004. From that day on whenever I was in Finner he made a point of coming over to say hello. As I went up the ranks he would make a point of asking if I needed anything stopping for a chat no matter how busy he was.

I have a brother in Finner who he knew was going on leave. He asked him was he heading away and the brother told him I was getting married and that's why he was going off. Straight away he asked for my number and sent me a message the night before my wedding wishing me all the best.

For all the animosity that exists between PDF and Rdf, it didn't matter to OB. A true gentleman to everyone.

RIP John,

Comment

R.I.P.
        Bohs till I die

Comment

R.I.P. apologies my earlier post forgot to delete signature .
          Bohs till I die

Comment

RIP
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
            X