Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stuff found on the web

https://youtu.be/X0cppzIbSdU
    Thought some of you might be interested in this.

2. Thanks danno, na grohmití, Galloglass, DeV, hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are so lucky that none of our ships have gravity Davits any more. Such an overly complex launch and recovery procedure compared to the single point launcher in use here and by many other European navies.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder are they the very same avon seariders used today on the le ciara? if so they are tough little ribs, not a great bow design by todays standards but tough nevertheless.

5. Likes na grohmití liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eh you guys do know that HMS Swift is LÉ Orla right?

The same davits are in still in active daily use and the Avon seariders are still in active daily use.

Although they are a bit like Triggers broom at this point, having had so many parts replaced etc since we got em.
    Last edited by Toolbox; 7th May 2017 at 17:22.

7. Thanks restless, na grohmití, hptmurphy thanked for this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    thought it was the ciara!

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    We are so lucky that none of our ships have gravity Davits any more. Such an overly complex launch and recovery procedure compared to the single point launcher in use here and by many other European navies.
    I know, what a faff, Id hate to be threading water waiting for that palaver

10. Likes na grohmití liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder what the drill is if a MOB goes off during a RAS?

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same, but the ship doesnt stop.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    thought it was the ciara!
    HMS Swallow is LÉ Ciara

14. Thanks restless thanked for this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    At all times while underway there is a designated rescue boat crew who while going about their normal duties will respond instantly to a man overboard.

They will close up, dress and launch with 2/3 mins.

16. Thanks restless thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post

The same davits are in still in active daily use and the Avon seariders are still in active daily use.

Although they are a bit like Triggers broom at this point, having had so many parts replaced etc since we got em.
    The pre edit version made me laugh ... thought it was a nickname

Post Thanks / Like
    It is interesting that film was made in the same year we bought them.
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post

Those seariders are well gone.......

New type are grey hulled with modern electronic systems.

Bought circa 2009 to replace orange hulled boats on Peacocks & Emer class.

20. Thanks restless thanked for this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    The boats are still unique in the fleet though, compared to what's used on the other ship types. Did they get diesel outboards or are they still using petrol?

Post Thanks / Like
    Original Seariders were known as 5.4 metre Class. Unsure of what the newer boats are called.

Our original boats came with Eithne, fitted wrong way round on the upper boat deck with a single 70hp Johnson Engine.

Aisling was the first of the PVs to be trialled with a Searider, was done one Wednesday afternoon in the basin,must check my diary for the specific date but it was 1988. We also tested a new Dunlop boat the same day against the searider but its driver position was found to be problematic. The Avon Rep presented a couple of us drivers with a nice Avon pen on the day.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 8th May 2017 at 12:19.
    Just visiting

23. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same, but the ship doesnt stop.
    Would you launch on the business side of the RAS if the ready boat is so deployed?

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am at a loss as to the purpose of your question. I'm not working in an organisation who is currently involved in RAS. I suggest you ask someone who is. I'm sure they'll be happy to entertain you with their SOPs.

Post Thanks / Like
    The boats are still unique in the fleet though, compared to what's used on the other ship types. Did they get diesel outboards or are they still using petrol?
    Peacocks using 5.4m New Avon Sea Riders

P50s using Twin Petrol 4 stroke Deltas

P60s using inboard diesel MSTs

P31 is using Delta inboard diesels

27. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Those seariders are well gone.......

New type are grey hulled with modern electronic systems.

Bought circa 2009 to replace orange hulled boats on Peacocks & Emer class.
    100% correct, which is the Triggers broom reference.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am at a loss as to the purpose of your question. I'm not working in an organisation who is currently involved in RAS. I suggest you ask someone who is. I'm sure they'll be happy to entertain you with their SOPs.
    Fair dues to you for being big enough to admit the lack of your info on this subject. I posed the question as it would appear risky to launch off the business side during a RAS lest the ships close to or bear away enexpectedly.

30. Dislikes na grohmití disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Fair dues to you for being big enough to admit the lack of your info on this subject. I posed the question as it would appear risky to launch off the business side during a RAS lest the ships close to or bear away enexpectedly.

In a real world RAS situation, (with large Navies US, RN etc) there is a guardship astern of the two vessels involved in the RAS. That ships role is to rescue a MOB if required. Not always available if its a solo ship tasking, but if working in a task group with more than 2 ships, it is utilised.

32. Thanks na grohmití, danno thanked for this post

Thread Information