• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did PDFORRA and RACO get on in the pay talks lads

come on what was the word I cant wait for Ingrid Miley
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Sounds to me like anything that will be given back will be taken away (and more) in higher pension contributions

Comment

I think they have been shafted by the unions inside the tent. They will have to pay a higher pension premium because of the accelerated pension i.e. it will take less than 40 years to earn a full pension. However this does not take into account that they have to leave earlier (particularly other ranks).

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
        I think they have been shafted by the unions inside the tent. They will have to pay a higher pension premium because of the accelerated pension i.e. it will take less than 40 years to earn a full pension. However this does not take into account that they have to leave earlier (particularly other ranks).
        I'm not sure what the issue with them having leave earlier is though. An OR in their late thirties or forties is still highly employable. I might have to leave my job earlier in the morning due to redundancy etc...

Comment

I am talking about comparing soldiers to other public servants. Yes it takes other public servants 40 years to accrue a pension but they are allowed stay in their employment in order to do so whereas a soldier has to leave at 5, 12 and 21 years unless certain criteria are met, and then have to retire at 60 (or that might have been reduced to 50). The public service unions inside the tent have ****ed over the representative associations outside the tent.

Comment

Trade Unions are ruthless. They aren't going to care much for those with no representation or even their own future members.

Military service is quite different to any other public service job (with exception of the Gardai perhaps) and keeping every soldier until 60 just isn't feasible for the proper functioning of the organisation.

If a soldier has to leave after 5 or 12 years, can he/she not get another pensionable job? For a private sector worker to accrue the benefits of fast accrual receiving soldier, they would need to be placing a colossal amount of their own income in as AVCs. An amount far far far larger than the current pension levy.

Maybe things aren't as good they were from a pension perspective for the PDF but it's still far in excess of what you'd get outside public service.

Comment

Army pension is a far cry from a civil/public service pension Auldsod
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

What age can they draw the Defence pension at?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  What age can they draw the Defence pension at?
                  Pre or post 94? No point in me answering this one though. One of the full timers can handle that one...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    Pre or post 94? No point in me answering this one though. One of the full timers can handle that one...
                    Both

Comment

Three different pension schemes for enlisted in the DF.

1/ Pre 94/Pre 06: Pension can be drawn down at 21 years service on leaving.But you must do 21 to get ANYTHING.You leave after 20 years 11 months you get nothing.

2/ Post 06: Standard public service pension. You must serve 30 years to accrue full pension.You can leave after 5 years with five parts of the pension etc etc.The snag is that weather you do 5 ,16 or 30 yaers you must wait util you reach age 55 before it pays out.

3/ Post 13: Same rules as 06 pension except it is career averaged by rank and contributory.You spend 19 years as a Pte and two as a Cpl and the bulk of your pension is going to be at the lower level.Brought in to stop people going on POTs course in their last few years just to get a higher pension.Qualifying criteria for the course amended to stop over forties going on the course also.

Just a point.The so called Gold plated pension is nothing of the sort.The Pre 06 pension(21 year) was copied from the UK(22 year) as the original thinking was with hard soldiering your body would be knackered by that time and also it was supposed to incdentivise people to move on.The actual amounts paid out unless you are a SNCO are not very high.I can leave in a few months with a full pension but there is NO way I could live on it.

I was listening to that prat Niall Boylan today stirring the anti public sector pot today an I honestly wanted to kill him.He used an example of someone on €70,000 a year in the public sector getting a pay rise(not true,pay restoration for the money we had to "contribute" to bail out the bankers and builders who ruined the economy) as fuel to stoke the fire.
                      I know NO-ONE in my line of work getting that. FFS there are some soldiers on FIS just to feed their families!! People who are lambasting the public sector of course are most probably the same cnuts who sneered at us during the boom and said they wouldn't get out of bed for the money we were on.Same cnuts have the gall to jeer us now the lowest paid are due to get a paltry pay restoration?

Hypocrites.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Boylan is scum. Anyone tuning into him on a work vehicle radio is soon educated.

In the same way you educate the recruit singing "ooh ah up the RA" in the mess.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                          Three different pension schemes for enlisted in the DF.

1/ Pre 94/Pre 06: Pension can be drawn down at 21 years service on leaving.But you must do 21 to get ANYTHING.You leave after 20 years 11 months you get nothing.

2/ Post 06: Standard public service pension. You must serve 30 years to accrue full pension.You can leave after 5 years with five parts of the pension etc etc.The snag is that weather you do 5 ,16 or 30 yaers you must wait util you reach age 55 before it pays out.

3/ Post 13: Same rules as 06 pension except it is career averaged by rank and contributory.You spend 19 years as a Pte and two as a Cpl and the bulk of your pension is going to be at the lower level.Brought in to stop people going on POTs course in their last few years just to get a higher pension.Qualifying criteria for the course amended to stop over forties going on the course also.

Just a point.The so called Gold plated pension is nothing of the sort.The Pre 06 pension(21 year) was copied from the UK(22 year) as the original thinking was with hard soldiering your body would be knackered by that time and also it was supposed to incdentivise people to move on.The actual amounts paid out unless you are a SNCO are not very high.I can leave in a few months with a full pension but there is NO way I could live on it.

I was listening to that prat Niall Boylan today stirring the anti public sector pot today an I honestly wanted to kill him.He used an example of someone on €70,000 a year in the public sector getting a pay rise(not true,pay restoration for the money we had to "contribute" to bail out the bankers and builders who ruined the economy) as fuel to stoke the fire.
                          I know NO-ONE in my line of work getting that. FFS there are some soldiers on FIS just to feed their families!! People who are lambasting the public sector of course are most probably the same cnuts who sneered at us during the boom and said they wouldn't get out of bed for the money we were on.Same cnuts have the gall to jeer us now the lowest paid are due to get a paltry pay restoration?

Hypocrites.
                          I have to admit pensions (and PRSI) are 2 things I'll always hold my hand up and say I'm not 100% sure on.

So compared to other public servants it's only pre 2006 that is different am I right?

The main difference is a soldier possibly joined younger than many civil servants?

Don't know many full Colonels?

Comment

I think I might end up being down money if this is implemented.

****ing hell.

Comment

Did PDFORRA crunch the numbers at all ?
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                              X