Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like

National Day of commemoration: Live Blog.

Writing things as I see them. Cos I'll forget later.
    Whats wrong with Leo's hands? I's like he has forgotten what he has them for.
    Must be the last year seeing the Green Deauvilles in use. 10 years in service next year. No longer in production. I'm hearing a BMW replacement rumoured.
    President seems to be having issues walking on the cobblestones. If you can put a red carpet on Croker so he can meet the teams maybe here too so he can inspect the GoH without tripping?
    Combined Army-Air Corps-Navy GOH looks very smart. Great idea letting them leave the event as soon as their job is done. Long enough standing in the sun. Is there still a defence force representative audience forced to stand in the background? Avoided it one year by volunteering for duties in the glen on a Saturday night. Have the all been detailed to Farmleigh instead?
    Leo looks lonely.
    Why does singing lady have so much eye make up? Must have taken ages to put on because she hadn't time to brush her hair. Great voice though. So easy to murder those particular hymns.
    Who's the geezer with the beard and sunglasses strolling through in the background? Unless he is a medical person of some sort surely it can wait until after?
    Just think, the guy sitting at the back of the band with the drums gets tech pay, even though there won't be much use for him today.
    And there's the new GOC AC, on his first outing with the full bar.
    Ah, there is a mandatory military representative body after all. Or is that the GoH after being retasked?
    Big cadet class at present, plenty to pick from, expect these future officers to be top class.
    Was wondering what the purpose of the Air Corps officer in the corner of the square was.
    Still think the FN reverse arms was the most impressive. The new AUG one is better than the old though.
    CLOSE YOUR JACKET LEO!
    Yup, an Uachtarain not good on his feet today. Hope he's OK. The knee giving trouble again perhaps?
    Nice Shiny 25pdr.
    Have to say I hate hearing a person who can't speak irish sing the national anthem.
    Nicely timed flypast too. Seems to have blown over the laurel wreath.
    Excellent work from Na Daltaí, the GoH and the Army band.
    Now on to Farmleigh for another working day without pay.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

2. Thanks ias, Buck, apc thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy, Tempest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Representative body was a separate entity from the GoH, I was part of it. Rehearsing how to sit, only in the army!

4. Likes na grohmití liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The GOH always departs once its tasks are complete.

6. Likes DeV liked this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now on to Farmleigh for another working day without pay
    I was there - what is your point ?
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

8. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    I was there - what is your point ?
    My point is while the open day at farmleigh provides a fantastic opportunity for the public to get up close and personal with the DF and their equipment, providing an excellent PR opportunity and inspiring many future soldiers, on the other hand, the members of the Defence forces manning the stands will not get paid extra for this work. Many already struggle to afford fuel for the normal daily commute, and are then expected to turn out on a sunday - not a normal working day. Many will have left their homes and own families shortly after dawn to attend this event.

The members of the PDF are happy to do it. But their families would prefer some financial reward for these extra days in the public eye in uniform.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

10. Likes sofa liked this post
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure they'll get a day in lieu, it's not money but it's better than nothing NG
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the dotted line on the enlistment papers need to be explained .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Maybe the dotted line on the enlistment papers need to be explained .
    Would you ever **** off.

People are leaving the DF in droves and one of the issues that has been constantly raised is the work/life balance that is non existent in the organisation.

A "swing up the arms" attitude while the organisation is in an absolute mess does nothing productive for anyone.

14. Likes Buck liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    I'm sure they'll get a day in lieu, it's not money but it's better than nothing NG
    A day in lieu doesn't pay the bills and doesn't replace having a weekend taken off lads.

16. Thanks na grohmití, apod thanked for this post
    Likes Buck liked this post

Thread Information