Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like

Mid 80s Vehicle crew Uniform?

Just wondering would anyone have a picture or a link to the type of uniform of vehicle crews being worn by the Defence forces in the mid 80s?

The ones seen in this photos,
    Scorp 1.jpgScorp 2.jpgscrop 3.jpgscrop 4.jpg

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like standard uniform of the time to me

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Standard OG combats with square pockets mean its pre 1986. Also the crew are wearing ties, which were part of the Combat uniform up to 1981 I think.
    The Crew helmets are the more modern Gentex type. They have changed again since but the difference is barely visible from afar. Early photos of the Scorpion in use have the crew wearing larger helmets that have the intercom inside the shell.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Standard OG combats with square pockets mean its pre 1986. Also the crew are wearing ties, which were part of the Combat uniform up to 1981 I think.
    The Crew helmets are the more modern Gentex type. They have changed again since but the difference is barely visible from afar. Early photos of the Scorpion in use have the crew wearing larger helmets that have the intercom inside the shell.
    What would be the uniform for crew from 1986 on then? and would you have a photo/name of the type of combats used?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep standard OG combats of that time
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    What would be the uniform for crew from 1986 on then? and would you have a photo/name of the type of combats used?
    From 1986 on, the only change was from square chest pockets to zipped internal ones, known as "slash pockets". Unique to the Irish Defence forces, most came with a black "FF" stamp on the chest. This OG uniform remained in use until the early 2000s, when DPM was introduced.
    Worth noting that the OG square pocket combats was identical to the british army issue of the 1950s. Gradually they introduced DPM, first only to the smock, later to the entire uniform. We remained in OG throughout the troubles to avoid being confused with the British Army.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

7. Likes Tempest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From 1986 on, the only change was from square chest pockets to zipped internal ones, known as "slash pockets". Unique to the Irish Defence forces, most came with a black "FF" stamp on the chest. This OG uniform remained in use until the early 2000s, when DPM was introduced.
    Worth noting that the OG square pocket combats was identical to the british army issue of the 1950s. Gradually they introduced DPM, first only to the smock, later to the entire uniform. We remained in OG throughout the troubles to avoid being confused with the British Army.
    Never saw an FF on OG clothing apart from wet gear

Never saw a mix of DPM and OG being worn either

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    You never saw the OG wet jackets with dpm pants?
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

10. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The FF stamp was on the OG and DEV you need to RTFQ, the word he used was "They" meaning BA

12. Thanks na grohmití, DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably not old enough.....

the year after the FCA were issued DPMs they became very hard to get and as a result we sent a class of recruits, a full troop on Camp to Kilkenny in freshly issued OGs.....
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 18th July 2017 at 22:26.
    Just visiting

14. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FF stamp on OG - yep I did. Usually saw the stamp over the left breast pocket. Seemed to stop once reservists started getting issued combats around 92 or so, for some reason.

Re: mixture of DPM/OG - I did. PDF personnel were issued with the DPM in (I think) 1998/99. First units to receive it were the outgoing UNIFIL Bn and the ARW. Reserve didn't get it until 2001
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 18th July 2017 at 22:40.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Last issue of OGs I got had the FF stamped on the "inside" of the pockets. Never saw it stamped on the outside (except the wetgear) but it was usually on the inside of a pocket. I assumed it was just a "property of DF" type mark.

17. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfect mate cheers, exactly the kind of info i was look for,

Attachment 8463Attachment 8464Attachment 8465

Quick follow up question then, what are these then? The hooded jackets in particular, is the older lad in centre just wearing the new style jacket or is it different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Attachments not available Count, the curse of IMO strikes again

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick follow up question then, what are these then? The hooded jackets in particular, is the older lad in centre just wearing the new style jacket or is it different?
    Hoods were detachable and often private purchase. Three buttons on underside of collar for attachment
    Just visiting

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    My FCA unit, A Coy/23Bn shot against a Dublin unit in the All-Army that had issued OG in 1982. I know because we were astonished to see the entire unit of Dubs, about a full company, all in clean, fresh OGs. Naturally, we asked how they had got them and they laughed at us for even asking, until they saw us turn out in recycled M65 jackets and para trousers and realised that we were serious . Anyone who had OG in the South was either issued it as an NCO or Officer or "acquired" it. In my time in the Don, the standard jacket usually had at least one obvious FF stamp and one discrete one, usually inside a pocket or under a collar. During all of my time in the FCA and Don, there were the usual dire warnings about being caught with an OG outside, ie, that had fallen off the back of a lorry, but Irish combats appeared to be plentiful on building sites and farms and the running joke was that the QM's kids had a better selection of kit than we had.

22. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    the guy on the right appears to have taken the melted beret look a bit far...;-)

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reuploaded the images

Attachment 8469
    Attachment 8470
    Attachment 8471

So what are these then? and when were they introduced? The hooded jackets in particular, is the older lad in centre just wearing the new style jacket or is it different?

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reuploaded the photos here,

So what are these then, and from when were they used? Also the Gentex crew helmet did these have radio comms attached? dosent look like they have in the photos but probably unadded for training?

Thread Information