Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    there is indeed.

( and I did not know this ). but now with Google Street view lol https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.63728...7i13312!8i6656
    Can't get over how high security it is

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
      The recent recruit course run on Bere Island was the first large occupation there in a number of years and it was a dry canteen so I'd like to know what you mean by that comment?

As for conditions on Bere Island, the accomodation and dining areas are much improved with new roofs, windows and heating. It could definitely do with a few proper section rooms but with just one platoon, there are plenty places to conduct classes even during foul weather.

As for the earlier suggestion that RDF commanders picked the remote location to somehow hide from the PDF, the RDF commanders were told where to run the course and then swung up the arms and got on with it. The simple fact is that there is a desire from higher up to see more use made out of the facilities on Bere Island. 1BAR RDF normally conduct FTT training while integrated with their PDF colleagues in the Glen of Imaal and don't need to hide from anyone.
      jesus a dry canteen, wouldnt have happened in my day!

Comment

Originally posted by apc View Post
        jesus a dry canteen, wouldnt have happened in my day!
        .... as the old song goes (Dylan I think) "ah the times they are a-changing..."
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

By dry, do they include the fact that the island lacks drinking water?
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            Unsure if there's a range on Bere Island. But then again, there are TCVs to get the troops to Kilworth, should it be needed
            The range must cease firing when any vessel passes behind the butts. Kilworth Camp is roughly 4 hours drive away. (Not including the wait for the ferry). Kilworth is not realistic, no more than Bringing recruits from the Curragh to the range in Finner.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
              The range must cease firing when any vessel passes behind the butts. Kilworth Camp is roughly 4 hours drive away. (Not including the wait for the ferry). Kilworth is not realistic, no more than Bringing recruits from the Curragh to the range in Finner.
              Stranger things have happened Carnagh and Kilworth are both 90 mins from the Curragh, Curragh units have fired APWTs on both in the last 2 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                By dry, do they include the fact that the island lacks drinking water?
                "Dry" = no alcohol
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                X