• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions i have about joining the reserve defense forces

I was thinking of applying to join the reserves but i have noticed that

*They do not serve overseas
    *They only train once a week

My question is do they get a salary and what is the point in joining the reserves

Welcome to IMO (just to point out that IMO is in no way affiliated with the Defence Forces):

Does the RDF serve overseas? No - under current legislation the RDF cannot serve overseas - I believe it could be looked at as part of the White Paper on Defence at a future date

Do they train once a week? In most units yes, probably 2 hours one evening per week plus probably on average 1 weekend a month plus at least 1 full 7 day week annually. If you available, willing and have approval you could probably do 4 times that if you have reason to be there.

Does the RDF get a salary? No, when your one full time training you will be paid. That could be the odd day here and there during the year (depending on what your involved in and what is approved), it will normally be 7 days min a year (14 days annually for approx your first 2 years). If your able and get approval you could do 56+ days paid (the issue is getting the time & more so the approval). You will not get expenses or milage.

What is the point in joining the RDF ? - I suppose it depends on why your thinking of joining?

Comment

The Reserve doesn't serve overseas *yet*, you must consider the RDF in its current form has only existed since 2005, or 2012 depending on how you look at it.

The more you progress in the organisation the more important you realise you become to it - depending on your unit you'll likely be involved in playing "the enemy' for Mission Readiness Exercises (MRE) for the Permanent forces going overseas, assisting in running ranges or shoots, etc. and you could be an integral part in preparing the PDF for service overseas. If you look at it that way,which I do, you are involved in the team effort of preparing your counterparts in serving overseas for 6 months in Lebanon and Syria, etc.

Comment

Working...
      X