troops helping out in Donegal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• troops helping out in Donegal...

is it just me or is 35 a rather pathetic number of soldiers to send to a location to deal with a natural disaster?

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    is it just me or is 35 a rather pathetic number of soldiers to send to a location to deal with a natural disaster?
    Might that depend on what the Council asked for rather than the DF choosing a number?

Comment

It always seems to be like that.

Could be all they have available, could be worried about how long it will go on for, could be mission dependant, etc

IMHO they should deploy loads of troops on jobs like this, more done and more quickly, win-win

Of course maybe they are trying to make a point.

Comment

According to the radio they arrived from Finner on Friday morning, taskings only issued around lunch time

Comment

It is ATCA after all - so the local authority dictates proceedings in the first instance
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            It is ATCA after all - so the local authority dictates proceedings in the first instance
            so LA looked for 30 odd bodies......poor form if the council can't gather up 30 odd of it's own bodies to do the work......it's not exactly hurricane Harvey levels of destruction......

cheap DF labour again i'd suggest.
            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Council labour manpower nationwide is at an all time low. Virtually all council work these days is contracted out. the old days of having a standing army of Council or Corpo men is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                so LA looked for 30 odd bodies......poor form if the council can't gather up 30 odd of it's own bodies to do the work......it's not exactly hurricane Harvey levels of destruction......

cheap DF labour again i'd suggest.
                I'm with you on this. I fail to see what the role the DF has to do here other than optics. From the photos all they seem to be doing is the donkey work, filling skips etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  Council labour manpower nationwide is at an all time low. Virtually all council work these days is contracted out. the old days of having a standing army of Council or Corpo men is gone.
                  agreed.....but doesn't change the fact that DF are seen as a quick fix, when the reality is the civil authorities have other options (civil defence, etc.) and probably should have better contigency plans for such incidents.

what about cancelling leave, calling in off duty LA personnell, actually paying said contractors to do civil clean up???

bus strikes, bin strikes, flooding, snow....call the army, we can't cope!!!! but God forbid the army would be equiped sufficiently to do its actual job
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

And then have it back fire from a PR perspective. When it was announced the questions asked were Why did it take 3 days? Why only 30? and then why did it take them until 1pm to show up on Friday?

Comment

The ATCA no matter what we think about its effect on operations is a major source of great PR when it is done well. Quick support of the DF to such events just helps to promote a positive image of the DF amongst the general public. It is public support of the DF that allows any budget to be allocated, if it falls any further we can shut up shop. It can also be seen as a chance especially for the Engineers to show what they can do, it can be seen as operational training, repairing road, bridges etc.

As for leaving the decision to the LA here we have a large county with some major infrastructure damage and the decision about support in such cases should be with the government. After all the LA will always ask the government to pay the bills in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                        And then have it back fire from a PR perspective. When it was announced the questions asked were Why did it take 3 days? Why only 30? and then why did it take them until 1pm to show up on Friday?
                        And will probably show up (a) how undermanned the DF (b) probably LA incompetence

Troops arrived in the morning not allocated jobs

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                          agreed.....but doesn't change the fact that DF are seen as a quick fix, when the reality is the civil authorities have other options (civil defence, etc.) and probably should have better contigency plans for such incidents.

what about cancelling leave, calling in off duty LA personnell, actually paying said contractors to do civil clean up???

bus strikes, bin strikes, flooding, snow....call the army, we can't cope!!!! but God forbid the army would be equiped sufficiently to do its actual job
                          I agree with the sentiment but the council I would probably have all the personnel (that they can get) out anyway. The councils etc are covered by a lot of employment legislation that the DF aren't (e.g. Cancellation of leave). They are extra (not replacement) bodies

Comment

30-odd lads to shovel dirt and fill sandbags is a cover job, saving face and being seen to do something, when what should have been was a full Company of Engineers with diggers, Bailey bridges, water pumps, Hinos to clear rubble,etc,etc. Civil defence have been conspicuous by their (televisual) absence. Is the CD gone the way of the RDF?

Comment

It's the same here, even with Harvey. The local authorities request help from the State, if they have the capability, then good. If not, then the State requests the National Guard. If it's bigger than the Guard, then they can request the Feds. My experience with this is some local authorities are good, they simply ask for a capability, i.e. "we need high water vehicles and a pumping unit", others just say "send me troops". The latter is not helpful, because we want to match the response to the need. Here in the US, local govt has primacy in a disaster and woe betide any external asset be it state or federal who just charges in there to help.

I would imagine a similar situation in Ireland, the local authorities request help rather than DoD deciding what is needed and sending what they think is best. While those of us in uniform may have a more nuanced view of how we are employed, it's not up to us. Like in Ireland, local authorities are covered by employment law and do actually have some limits on what they can do. Also bear in mind, in a disaster, those local authority workers may be the ones needing rescue, can't get to work or dealing with a flooded house or whatever. It's good to be a loyal council employee, but my family comes first.

The news has lots of footage of our Guardsmen rescuing people and carrying the elderly to safety, it's a great photo op in the sprit of "if it bleeds it leads" world of the media. What you won't see much of are the troops filling sandbags, handing out bottled water, coordinating shelter spaces & rendering healthcare. It's the unglamorous part of it and in the next few weeks when Harvey is not so newsworthy, you certainly won't see news of troops shoveling debris, loading skips and doing the scut work of disaster recovery.

So, if troops were needed in Donegal to do basic work, then they do it not because hey like it or it raises the DoD profile. They do it because they are Soldiers and told to do it.

A

Comment

Working...
                              X