Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: LÉ Tom Crean

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like

LÉ Tom Crean

There is a petition to name an NS ship after Tom Crean:

https://www.change.org/p/d%C3%A1il-%...ntent=ex3%3Av1

bit of background on the man here: https://www.facebook.com/honourtomcr...08612722723879

thanks!

(I hope i am not violating policy here ..)

2. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, sofa, terrier liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is one thing to name a ship after him, but the ship needs to be worthy of his name.
    This man served with distinction firstly in the Royal Navy and then on many Antarctic expeditions most famously with Scott and Shackelton. Was Scott not from Kildare?
    Successive RN research vessels have been named after Scott Shackelton and James Caird.
    Also why not name a class of these ships after our forgotten Antarctic explorers.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

4. Likes sofa liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    For someone that they claim is forgotten, Tom Crean is remarkably well known.....why not simply change the name of the State's own research vessel from Celtic Explorer to Tom Crean?

6. Likes na grohmití, DeV, restless liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given that we aren't going to have a new hull for several years at this stage, perhaps this might be better served waiting until Eithne's replacement is tendered, rather than done now years before any movement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    For someone that they claim is forgotten, Tom Crean is remarkably well known
    I have been following this campaign on Facebook for a few years now and have often thought that myself. At least they have now figured out how to honour Tom Crean, for the first year or so they just called on the Irish government to honour him without making any suggestions as to how.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, in the meantime, if they get a David F replacement, they could call it after Tom Crean. It's not like he gives a shit which boat they name after him...maybe they could ask the RN, as he served them, not us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for the record I am all in favour of naming a ship after Tom Crean, his is an excellent story and somebody we should be very proud of. However I can't help but wonder that if he hadn't been Irish would i.e. if he was English, would anyone have heard of him, given that he wasn't an officer and the tendency to allocate all the credit for successes in a mission to the officer in charge.

11. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, in the meantime, if they get a David F replacement, they could call it after Tom Crean. It's not like he gives a shit which boat they name after him...maybe they could ask the RN, as he served them, not us.
    DoD vessels are being contracted out as far as I know

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    The David F is a long time razor blades. At present same company who do the Cape Clear ferry are doing the job. Ugliest vessel in history. Like someone started converting a trawler and forgot what they started.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    Just for the record I am all in favour of naming a ship after Tom Crean, his is an excellent story and somebody we should be very proud of. However I can't help but wonder that if he hadn't been Irish would i.e. if he was English, would anyone have heard of him, given that he wasn't an officer and the tendency to allocate all the credit for successes in a mission to the officer in charge.
    I'm sure he would. He had a very important role in both the Scott and Shackelton expeditions. He was awarded the Albert Medal for his actions. (A lifesaving medal since replaced by the George Cross). He was awarded three Polar medals. There were only 91 awards of this medal. Other Non Irish recipients are still well known, such as Ernest Joyce (RN Seaman), Ranulph Feinnes (only a Lt), Edmund Hillary (Kiwi who was only a Conscripted Navigator during WW2). Kenneth N McKenzie, who served as an underage private during WW1, and who was only a Marconi Officer before joining Discovery, has a bay in Antarctica named after him.
    Crean's role in both expeditions are so significant that it is difficult to read accounts of both events without his significance being mentioned. Crean being among the search party that discovered the tent within where the bodies of Scott's polar party. He was of course one of the three who ventured accross South Georgia to reach the Whaling Station at Stromness.
    It would be hard to tell this story without mentioning the significance of Crean, next to Frank Worsley(Lt Cdr) and Ernest Shackelton(From Athy, officially a Sub Lt aboard Discovery, but otherwise a Merchant navy Master Mariner).

15. Likes ropebag liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't agree with Tom Crean as long as we have guys worthy of it who served in our own Navy.

L/Sea Mick Quinn DSM, deceased.
    Just visiting

17. Likes apc, na grohmití, Turkey, hedgehog liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was no " us " at the time.

19. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes Bravo20, spider, morpheus liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of our soccer teams serve HMG. Jack Charlton was given the freedom of the city of Dublin

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    As a small country Hero's are far and few in between, So we big up the ones we have and get annoyed when Britain claim them.
    Hero's like Crean have being ignored by us because he was not shot by the Brits failing at something, a mind set brainwashed in to us by our founding fathers.

22. Likes ropebag, morpheus, hedgehog, ibenji, bohs fan liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heroes.

24. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes ropebag liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    For someone that they claim is forgotten, Tom Crean is remarkably well known.....why not simply change the name of the State's own research vessel from Celtic Explorer to Tom Crean?
    The work boat /tender that operates from Celtic Explorer is named the Tom Crean .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

26. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post

Thread Information