No announcement yet.

LÉ Tom Crean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is one thing to name a ship after him, but the ship needs to be worthy of his name.
    This man served with distinction firstly in the Royal Navy and then on many Antarctic expeditions most famously with Scott and Shackelton. Was Scott not from Kildare?
    Successive RN research vessels have been named after Scott Shackelton and James Caird.
    Also why not name a class of these ships after our forgotten Antarctic explorers.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

For someone that they claim is forgotten, Tom Crean is remarkably well known.....why not simply change the name of the State's own research vessel from Celtic Explorer to Tom Crean?

Comment

Given that we aren't going to have a new hull for several years at this stage, perhaps this might be better served waiting until Eithne's replacement is tendered, rather than done now years before any movement?

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          For someone that they claim is forgotten, Tom Crean is remarkably well known
          I have been following this campaign on Facebook for a few years now and have often thought that myself. At least they have now figured out how to honour Tom Crean, for the first year or so they just called on the Irish government to honour him without making any suggestions as to how.

Comment

Well, in the meantime, if they get a David F replacement, they could call it after Tom Crean. It's not like he gives a shit which boat they name after him...maybe they could ask the RN, as he served them, not us.

Comment

Just for the record I am all in favour of naming a ship after Tom Crean, his is an excellent story and somebody we should be very proud of. However I can't help but wonder that if he hadn't been Irish would i.e. if he was English, would anyone have heard of him, given that he wasn't an officer and the tendency to allocate all the credit for successes in a mission to the officer in charge.

Comment

Well, in the meantime, if they get a David F replacement, they could call it after Tom Crean. It's not like he gives a shit which boat they name after him...maybe they could ask the RN, as he served them, not us.
                DoD vessels are being contracted out as far as I know

Comment

The David F is a long time razor blades. At present same company who do the Cape Clear ferry are doing the job. Ugliest vessel in history. Like someone started converting a trawler and forgot what they started.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                    Just for the record I am all in favour of naming a ship after Tom Crean, his is an excellent story and somebody we should be very proud of. However I can't help but wonder that if he hadn't been Irish would i.e. if he was English, would anyone have heard of him, given that he wasn't an officer and the tendency to allocate all the credit for successes in a mission to the officer in charge.
                    I'm sure he would. He had a very important role in both the Scott and Shackelton expeditions. He was awarded the Albert Medal for his actions. (A lifesaving medal since replaced by the George Cross). He was awarded three Polar medals. There were only 91 awards of this medal. Other Non Irish recipients are still well known, such as Ernest Joyce (RN Seaman), Ranulph Feinnes (only a Lt), Edmund Hillary (Kiwi who was only a Conscripted Navigator during WW2). Kenneth N McKenzie, who served as an underage private during WW1, and who was only a Marconi Officer before joining Discovery, has a bay in Antarctica named after him.
                    Crean's role in both expeditions are so significant that it is difficult to read accounts of both events without his significance being mentioned. Crean being among the search party that discovered the tent within where the bodies of Scott's polar party. He was of course one of the three who ventured accross South Georgia to reach the Whaling Station at Stromness.
                    It would be hard to tell this story without mentioning the significance of Crean, next to Frank Worsley(Lt Cdr) and Ernest Shackelton(From Athy, officially a Sub Lt aboard Discovery, but otherwise a Merchant navy Master Mariner).

Comment

I don't agree with Tom Crean as long as we have guys worthy of it who served in our own Navy.

L/Sea Mick Quinn DSM, deceased.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

There was no " us " at the time.

Comment

Most of our soccer teams serve HMG. Jack Charlton was given the freedom of the city of Dublin

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                            As a small country Hero's are far and few in between, So we big up the ones we have and get annoyed when Britain claim them.
                            Hero's like Crean have being ignored by us because he was not shot by the Brits failing at something, a mind set brainwashed in to us by our founding fathers.

Comment

Heroes.

Comment

Working...
                              X