2017 Cadet class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Cadet class

started day before yesterday with 108 members.

It'll be like west point lol
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    started day before yesterday with 108 members.

It'll be like west point lol
    All the offices are currently in containers and the blocks are being refurbished

Comment

Great that there are a lot of people getting in. If they took on this many when I went for it in 2012, I would have gotten in :P

But does this point to a bigger issue in the DF, if this number of cadets are being taken in, obviously there is a massive shortage in the junior ranks. What guarantee does the DF have that it will hold these guys five years? The private sector is a tempting proposition to young and ambitious graduates. An interesting article on the millennial applicant https://goo.gl/vLCUjj,

Millennials tend to be far less patient in their careers than Baby Boomers and Gen-Xers and, as such, employers are investing heavily in the need to understand and cater to these behaviours.
      The DF does not promote officers on meritocracy in the junior ranks, so, will the millennial generation have patience that outweighs their ambition, especially when they see former colleagues climbing in the current competitive careers market.
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

We saw it on another thread.

There had been a huge number of Lts over establishment for a number of years and then lots of vacancies for Capt & Comdt.

This to me would say that promotion competitions weren't being run (mainly due to the financial situation).

The last figures I saw were that there were approx 30 vacancies for army capts and around 15 for Lts.

Lack of promotion is going to be a push factor. It will effect morale and take home pay.

Comment

Yellow pack LTs will be fired out the far end of the green machine unless then invest in the time and instructors for these people.
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
            Yellow pack LTs will be fired out the far end of the green machine unless then invest in the time and instructors for these people.
            ???

Comment

When you go from a class size of 50 to a class size of 100, and dont ensure that you invest enough time, instruction and enforcement of the standards that they are held to vs the standards that their predecessors were held to, purely in an effort to play the numbers game and ensure that you get enough out the gate.... then you end up with a lower quality of graduate and some who would have been kicked off the previous courses. Lets hope that that doesn't happen. These larger classes are an effort to stem the loss of officers in the defence forces.
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

When you go from a class size of 50 to a class size of 100, and dont ensure that you invest enough time, instruction and enforcement of the standards that they are held to vs the standards that their predecessors were held to, purely in an effort to play the numbers game and ensure that you get enough out the gate.... then you end up with a lower quality of graduate and some who would have been kicked off the previous courses. Lets hope that that doesn't happen. These larger classes are an effort to stem the loss of officers in the defence forces.
                TBH I think they should have kept the 21 months and increased cadet pay

I very much doubt standards will be diluted and it isn't as if they will have sections of 20 instead of 10

Comment

I'd say instructors are getting pulled in from all angles to supplement the permanent staff of Scoil na nDaltaí
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    I'd say instructors are getting pulled in from all angles to supplement the permanent staff of Scoil na nDaltaí
                    Nothing me there but was talking to an instructor who commutes a long enough distance and things the instructors allowance is worth it

Comment

100% Bang on.Even the existing officers are saying it.The DF is going to s**t because we have kids instructing Kids with no experience behind them.

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      Correct.The posting is for 12 Months so it is widely unpopular with some lads/lasses with young families being detailed because "it's an honour" to Instruct up there.No SIC allowance,unlike the permanent staff,but it's an Honour

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Nothing me there but was talking to an instructor who commutes a long enough distance and things the instructors allowance is worth it
                      Bollocks.That guy is either naive or stupid. €25 a week Instructor allowance. Duties on the weekends,so away from home two weeks at a time. Kept in the school by the RSM even when not rostered for a class for days. Wear and tear on car.I could go on and on.
                      The only reward is a 667B and a point.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        100% Bang on.Even the existing officers are saying it.The DF is going to s**t because we have kids instructing Kids with no experience behind them.

Correct.The posting is for 12 Months so it is widely unpopular with some lads/lasses with young families being detailed because "it's an honour" to Instruct up there.No SIC allowance,unlike the permanent staff,but it's an Honour

Bollocks.That guy is either naive or stupid. €25 a week Instructor allowance. Duties on the weekends,so away from home two weeks at a time. Kept in the school by the RSM even when not rostered for a class for days. Wear and tear on car.I could go on and on.
                        The only reward is a 667B and a point.
                        Can only go on what I was told he said it was happier (and had a shorter commute (both are long distance) than in the Bn

Comment

fk sake ? 25 a week extra - is that really all it is ?

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            fk sake ? 25 a week extra - is that really all it is ?
                            For attached instructors, yes.

Comment

whaaat but thats shite

Comment

Working...
                              X