Experience in RDF vs PDF when applying for job in Close Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mat View Post
    Sorry but that does not sound convincing to me. If thats what you were getting,i understand your attitude to this industry.
    That figure of £400 a week is more like ropebags mess bill.

Comment

I have worked with lads like you, lads with ambition who believed all the hype that these training providers sell, but from exprience I believe you are setting yourself up for a fall, if your lucky you might get a gig securing a movie set or premiere in the hope you get spotted for a better gig, but I doubt it.
      It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
      It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
      It was a new age...It was the end of history.
      It was the year everything changed.

Comment

A long time ago now I worked in comms/support to a very specific civilian/Garda CP operation. My civvy workmates did earn extra allowances for their placement and for additional training courses (driving/UAC etc), but spent most of their time bored out of their skulls sitting in a converted garage or in a car, or putting up with the petulances of their 'VIP' subjects. The ones who thought it would be exciting couldn't wait to get out, the ones who relied on the little extras for their mortgage felt they were stuck with it. Low-level CP work in my experience is drudgery of the highest order.

So, as others have advised, have a serious re-think. To think you'll have a glamorous, well paid, exciting life with the level of qualification you will have is pure Walter Mitty stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest View Post
          A long time ago now I worked in comms/support to a very specific civilian/Garda CP operation. My civvy workmates did earn extra allowances for their placement and for additional training courses (driving/UAC etc), but spent most of their time bored out of their skulls sitting in a converted garage or in a car, or putting up with the petulances of their 'VIP' subjects. The ones who thought it would be exciting couldn't wait to get out, the ones who relied on the little extras for their mortgage felt they were stuck with it. Low-level CP work in my experience is drudgery of the highest order.

So, as others have advised, have a serious re-think. To think you'll have a glamorous, well paid, exciting life with the level of qualification you will have is pure Walter Mitty stuff.
          I know where you coming from. I work in security industry for number of years and i do know what boredom is. I dont expect that after completing my course i'll have work all over the shop,neither i dont expect to be famous,protect president,earn six figure a motnh etc. For me its just a progress in my career. I'll learn new skills,get qualifications and its already advantage to me. I dont really care about money as long as i can provide decent life for my family. What i care about is doing what i enjoy and im good at. Doesn't have to be protecting Taoiseach,i'd be happy with any progression in my career. Even tho i will complete Cp course and will never work as a CP,for me its a milestone and step forward.I have thought about joining RDF for a good while and now that i have chance i did it. I dont see it as 'some waiting' or 'springboard'. I have interest in carrying out duty as long as i can,because i treat it as a passion/hobby and not of extortion.

Comment

All the london prisons have at least close protection guy who took the wrap for his employer, its part of the job description, so you might end up doing time if some saudi prince knocks over some old lady with his super car. .

Comment

If you want to provide for your family, you won't do it by paying £8000 to learn CP. Keep that money for the house deposit / rainy day / emergency fund. If money doesn't bother you, join the Gardai or PDF, get the experience there and hopefully get some CP quals through them. There's no standard 'career' progression in CP, you simply go from job to job - if there are any - and hopefully get to demand more money as your experience increases.

Anyway, I'm done lecturing you. Best of luck, hope it works out.

Comment

Working...
              X