Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience in RDF vs PDF when applying for job in Close Protection

Hi All,

I work as a commercial security officer. Im doing my CP (close protection) course abroad with fire arms next month and i also applied for Reserve Defence Forces.

In RDF i will have to complete 2 weeks of full military training every year plus other duties number of times per month.

Today,Permanent Defence Forces started their recruitment campaign. I always had interest in army and i believe would fit very well in there and also this is my last bell,as im 24 y/o and max age to join is 25.

The thing is im happy enough with my current job and im earning a good bit more than freshly recruited soldier. Normally it would not matter to me,but i have to think about my family.

My plan was to complete CP course and spend number of years in RDF,gain experience and training necessary to find decent job as a CPO,while working as security.

Question is: When applying for a CPO Jobs,does it make several difference if i have 5 years PDF experience or 5 years in RDF?

Whats your opinion? Thanks in advance.

My opinion...for what its worth from someone in another army...is that you will struggle to break into CP land unless you've done armed CP work either in the military or in the police.

Mate of mine...ex police...Spunked all his resettlement money on a CP course about seven years ago. He never got hired because he was never CP.

Forget about it for now...join the Army...look at it again a few years down the line would be my advice.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I don't think service in the RDF will count for much to anyone hiring for the CP role.

Comment

Most of the people doing CP work based in Ireland(contracts at home and abroad) are ex military/Garda. esp former ARW. Bit of a closed shop.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Times are changing constantly,especially for CP Operatives in UK,France,Germany,Spain and the reason is well known-no need to explain. There is plenty of work and will be much more i believe. Its very difficult to get into CP loop,but once youre in,your wheel is spinning. I have security experience,im on my way to gain military experience ( fitness test for RDF in Galway 7th OCT) and i believe,after completing CP course+military training i will eventually get into the loop. I know i have what it takes and i know i can and will do it.

Let me quote a member of CP forum regarding this topic who is in the game:

Depends on the CP role and the whim of the client.
          Some roles need Military background (hostile for example) so the better your army background the better the chance of getting it.

Some corporate stuff you're protecting a guy who has strong views on what he wants, and that's an ex-Mil guy, regardless of whether that's what he needs, it's what he wants and he's paying, and typically they won't really be bothered if you're reserve or not, if you tick the box then you make it past the first round, then it's down to what else you offer and if he likes you.

Some corporate stuff doesn't need Mil background at all, I don't have one and I'm doing quite well
          I've also known clients (often women) who positively refuse to have ex Mil looking after them - they feel (rightly or wrongly) that short hair, tats down their arms, 'military temperament' and language are not what they need in their busy polished life, so go for talented civvies and ex-plod.

Best advice is go with what you want right now, and enjoy whatever you do. You might hate CP when you try it (it's not for everyone) so spending a few years doing something you don't like in order to get a job you end up hating is just daft.

Comment

I did shitty domestic security work for an ex-forces-only company in 2015, and most of the guys I worked with were lads who were coming home from the middle east to do their 90 days in the UK for tax purposes. Even they, boys who were still working in the gen-up CP role in Iraq, Afghan, Egypt couldn't get CP work in the UK or Ireland.

Think about that. Ex military, mostly ex-RM, operational tours under their belt, actively employed as CP.... but nothing for them back home.

Don't do it. Don't let these shysters sell you a qualification for nothing. The furthest you'll go is manning doors on any old nightclub. They've sold you the idea that once you've broken in, you'll be squared away, but it's not the case at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat View Post
              Times are changing constantly,especially for CP Operatives in UK,France,Germany,Spain and the reason is well known-no need to explain. There is plenty of work and will be much more i believe. Its very difficult to get into CP loop,but once youre in,your wheel is spinning. I have security experience,im on my way to gain military experience ( fitness test for RDF in Galway 7th OCT) and i believe,after completing CP course+military training i will eventually get into the loop. I know i have what it takes and i know i can and will do it.
              you are deluded.

you are wrong.

the overwhelming majority of CP courses are an efficient way of chanelling money from idiots. given your complete lack of experience - guarding bananas at Tesco, or hoofing drunks out of toilets in clubs does not count as experience - you will not get a job in CP or armed security work anywhere regardless of what courses you've put on your credit card.

joining the RDF does not count as military experience in the security industry - you may as well put Airsoft in your CV. by the way, well done for telling the recruiting team that you're only there for some walting - you've put your age, job, and when and where you're doing a fitness test. quite how difficult do you think they'll find it to work out which muppet you are?

the going rate for the lowest end of the market - and you really, really don't want to work at the lowest end of the market - is four years regular service, an overseas tour and an €8000 'course'. with that you'll be working for a total cowboy, with total numpties, and for €400 a week. you won't be armed, you'll be more roadie than CP, and you'll be expected to do whatever is asked of you regardless of how illegal. if your boss doesn't like you you'll be sacked with no notice and how you get home is your problem - you will, as with all jobs with cowboys, find actually getting paid something of a lottery.

give your heard a shake, put your mums money away, and go to college.

Comment

If only his excellency The Baron Sir Shortt of CastleShortt, MBEE, ABE saw this thread, his little eyes would be all a twinkle!!

Comment

I'd love to know what happened to him, there's been little to nothing from him for years. He must really rue the rise of social media, it makes it so much easier to spot the walts these days.

Comment

If you go into the DF, get a trade. Just being a gun bunny leads you nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      If you go into the DF, get a trade. Just being a gun bunny leads you nowhere.
                      Plenty of taxi drivers and pub doormen are ex gun bunnys.....
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                        you are deluded.

you are wrong.

the overwhelming majority of CP courses are an efficient way of chanelling money from idiots. given your complete lack of experience - guarding bananas at Tesco, or hoofing drunks out of toilets in clubs does not count as experience - you will not get a job in CP or armed security work anywhere regardless of what courses you've put on your credit card.

joining the RDF does not count as military experience in the security industry - you may as well put Airsoft in your CV. by the way, well done for telling the recruiting team that you're only there for some walting - you've put your age, job, and when and where you're doing a fitness test. quite how difficult do you think they'll find it to work out which muppet you are?

the going rate for the lowest end of the market - and you really, really don't want to work at the lowest end of the market - is four years regular service, an overseas tour and an €8000 'course'. with that you'll be working for a total cowboy, with total numpties, and for €400 a week. you won't be armed, you'll be more roadie than CP, and you'll be expected to do whatever is asked of you regardless of how illegal. if your boss doesn't like you you'll be sacked with no notice and how you get home is your problem - you will, as with all jobs with cowboys, find actually getting paid something of a lottery.

give your heard a shake, put your mums money away, and go to college.

Judging by what you wrote,you must have had very rough experience.
                        Minimum wage in security industry in 2017 is €11.05 ph so for guarding bananas like you mention,you're getting €442 per week,with overtime €500+ and you're telling me that after 4 years service,overseas tour and completing €8000 worth course you get €400 per week? I wouldnt think so,we are not in 70s anymore. Sorry but that does not sound convincing to me. If thats what you were getting,i understand your attitude to this industry.

Recruiting team wont have to figure out anything,because i will clearly state my reasons for joining and 'some waiting' is definitely not one of them.

Retail security and commercial security are two different markets,mister.

I am aware it is very difficult to get into CP,but it does not mean its impossible. Im networking for number of months,talking to people,following forums/websites/news/cp job adverts and i disagree with you. Your information is out of date.

In UK,even a lad in his 30,finance administrator,NO security/military/police experience whatsoever. After completing CP course with well known training provider Ronin,got a job as a CPO.

Every person has different ambitions,dreams,priorities and resources. Let it be 3,5 or 10 years,but i know that constant action and focus on my goal will result in achieving it. Dont measure everybody by your own ruler.

Either way,thanks for your opinion ~Ropebag. Appreciate it.

Comment

Mat , if and when you get to be interviewed to join the PDF be sure to tell them all about your plan the use them as springboard into the CP industry . I am sure they have a team of instructors awaiting your arrival to guide you on your way . That of course if they don't tell you to take a flying you know what well before then .
                          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Mat View Post
                            In UK,even a lad in his 30,finance administrator,NO security/military/police experience whatsoever. After completing CP course with well known training provider Ronin,got a job as a CPO.

Every person has different ambitions,dreams,priorities and resources. Let it be 3,5 or 10 years,but i know that constant action and focus on my goal will result in achieving it. Dont measure everybody by your own ruler.
                            Right that's it, you are a wind up. There's no way there's a serious bloke behind these posts.

edit: is this the X-factor "dream big you can do it" generation coming to the fore?

Comment

OP RDF are civilians, the chances of a civilian getting into CP gigs even with thousands spent on civilian courses in the US/Israel are pretty ****ing low. When Iraq was covered in PMCs after the invasion you could have maybe got a job if you trained with a legit provider, but now why the **** would they hire someone with zero experience when there's truckloads of exers to hire ahead of you?
                              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X