Any news on the budget!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any news on the budget!

I heard Minister Donahue saying there was an increase in funding for defence but no mention of numbers. Anyone able to provide clarity?

Extra €7m in Current Expenditure (which broadly covers pay & pension)
    Extra €3m in Capital Expenditure (equipment, buildings, capital maintenance and ICT)

Comment

The full breakdown by subhead should be available later today

Comment

F****** joke
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Extra €3m in Capital Expenditure (equipment, buildings, capital maintenance and ICT)

So Feck all in reality.

Comment

Jaysus that's paltry! How will Naval and Aer Corps fleet replacement progress with no budget allocation? And that's before "crazy" stuff like Scorpion replacement, more helicopters and anything else that's badly needed gets tackled.

Even forgetting about Capital expenditure for a while the least I would have expected would have been a huge staff retention package across all three branches to address the current brain drain and staff shortages.

Very dissapointing

Comment

The total current expenditure allocated for 2018 and projected to 2020 is €869 million, I imagine that is a figure meant to be adjusted for inflation/budget figure and, politics being what they are for a minority government, we can only take 2018 as certain. So % spend of budget remains unchanged at 1.4% (of the budget, not of GDP).
              Capital expenditure on top of that is allocated as €77 million for 2018, €106 million in 2019 and €113 million in 2020.

It seems that they are hedging that the Defence Forces can just muddle through until debt reduction gives financial space?
              The question is what kind of Defence Forces will remain by the time a future government thinks it can afford to raise the Defence budget to at least 1% of GDP.

Whatever happens, I suspect the Defence Forces need not bother looking for any significant change until 2021 or after. Brexit and the gods of economy permitting.
              Last edited by expat01; 10 October 2017, 17:40.

Comment

Process for CASA replacement and MRV (Eithne replacement) to commence in 2018

Comment

http://www.defence.ie/WebSite.nsf/Re...5?OpenDocument

Process for CASA replacement and MRV (Eithne replacement) to commence in 2018
                  Any date on that ?

Comment

thumbsuck: no reason a CASA replacement won't be finalised in 2018, but I imagine the MRV will be signed off in 2019.
                    Question: does the 68 million for OPV4 come out of 2018 or is it already spent?

Comment

Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                      thumbsuck: no reason a CASA replacement won't be finalised in 2018, but I imagine the MRV will be signed off in 2019.
                      Question: does the 68 million for OPV4 come out of 2018 or is it already spent?
                      It was paid for in stages.
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                        Any date on that ?
                        id imagine around 2020

Comment

id imagine around 2020
                          Do you mean the decision on what gets picked or when the start of the build? If the process starts in 2018, how soon before we'd start seeing some info on proposed specs?

Comment

Very soon. The process in reality started long ago.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                              Do you mean the decision on what gets picked or when the start of the build? If the process starts in 2018, how soon before we'd start seeing some info on proposed specs?
                              It will probably go to tender 2019 I'd say

Comment

Working...
                              X