Any news on the budget!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queens of the garage.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

body armour for troops.

So the somewhat disliked current BA is going bye bye?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
        https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...raft-1.3251330

So the somewhat disliked current BA is going bye bye?
        One would hope.But the article does not imply that.It could be just more purchases of the same.
        Hopefully not.The current model is ok for CSS personnel but no good for Infantry etc.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          so what makes the LTAV a disaster?
          Seems that they are carried more than driven, to the degree they rarely get brought out and hence are quite unpopular, but then again the whole concept of LTAV seems to have come full circle, being too small ( crew wise ) to be effective unless deployed as part of a bigger group and given we have relatively a small amount or a largely unreliable vehicle they have no real role. But.. and a big but... the AMLs both 60s and 90s tended to be hanger queens unless used regularly and only really became reliable when the engine changes came about in the latter days of their lives...so don't give up on the LTAVs just yet!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

yep, just like aircraft; use them or lose them.

Comment

Wrt LTAV, worth having a look to see what others are replacing the type with. Humvee replacement being a prime example.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Appears our problems with vehicles in the LTAV class aren't completely unique anyway:

The vehicles designed to protect British troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are overheating, soldiers say.

Wonder what the lads in the BA think of them generally

Comment

Basically the entire generation of ltav (panther, eagle iv, etc) had massive problems. There are plans for more, hopefully when the jltv will be availablefor export.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                    Appears our problems with vehicles in the LTAV class aren't completely unique anyway:

The vehicles designed to protect British troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are overheating, soldiers say.

Panther (IVECO LMV) also suffers reliability and maintenance issues

Comment

so is it electronics failing to cope with Irish rain? what's breaking down on them?

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                        so is it electronics failing to cope with Irish rain? what's breaking down on them?
                        Shoddy build quality. Lack of standard construction (wiring), drive shaft couplings, ECu configurations, etc etc etc

Comment

About twenty parked up at Warcop ranges Cumbria yesterday, don't know if they are running lot of weeds around them.

Comment

I've a little bit of experience of Foxhound.

I think its a good bit of kit...offers great mobility and protection especially in an urban environment...but also has good cross-country capabilities.

A convoy of UK military vehicles has been hit by a blast in the Afghan capital, UK officials say, with seven reported injured but no British casualties.

If that had been SNATCH... IMHO they'd have all been killed or VSI.

Foxhound is also much less intimidating and more manoeuvrable than MRAPS or Bushmaster.

Being careful about what I say...its biggest issue has been overheating (already open source) in hot and dusty places...but that is being addressed.

Its also quite maintenance intensive generally.

Apart from that its quite liked by those who crew it...my main criticism of Foxhound is that there is no proper protection for the top-cover sentries...ie no coupla.

I'm not sure why it was designed without one...possibly to do with height / weight / centre of gravity etc...more likely to save money.
                            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                              I've a little bit of experience of Foxhound.

I think its a good bit of kit...offers great mobility and protection especially in an urban environment...but also has good cross-country capabilities.

A convoy of UK military vehicles has been hit by a blast in the Afghan capital, UK officials say, with seven reported injured but no British casualties.

If that had been SNATCH... IMHO they'd have all been killed or VSI.

Foxhound is also much less intimidating and more manoeuvrable than MRAPS or Bushmaster.

Being careful about what I say...its biggest issue has been overheating (already open source) in hot and dusty places...but that is being addressed.

Its also quite maintenance intensive generally.

Apart from that its quite liked by those who crew it...my main criticism of Foxhound is that there is no proper protection for the top-cover sentries...ie no coupla.

I'm not sure why it was designed without one...possibly to do with height / weight / centre of gravity etc...more likely to save money.
                              Do they use a top cover sentry?

No seat for IED protection

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                Panther (IVECO LMV) also suffers reliability and maintenance issues
                                They seem to do the job intended though, 4 spaniards walked away after one went over a mine in lebanon the other year.

Comment

Working...
                                X