No announcement yet.

Any news on the budget!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funds secured for Cessna replacements, CASA replacements, Roisin & Niamh mid life upgrade, APC upgrade and procurement process for MRV

Also talk of what sounds like a UK style military covenant

Comment

About the Mid life refits of the 50's, is there anything major planned or is it just going to be refreshing the onboard equipment/systems?

Comment

Mid-Life refit and upgrade Naval Ships

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        About the Mid life refits of the 50's, is there anything major planned or is it just going to be refreshing the onboard equipment/systems?
        The Budgeted target is to extend the life of the ship with relevant equipment upgrades , rectifying where possible any faults or damage that limits operational deployment. A tight refit specification is drawn up, new and replacement equipment and services identified and on completion the ship should be Good to Go to perform in today's operational environment. If the work is just a lick of paint, change the bulbs, overhaul ME's and Generator's, and put new carpet here and there, then the opportunity is lost.We will have to wait and see. The least I expect is that Roisin should be Good to Go , in all respects, for International deployment.

Comment

I wonder is it possible, mid life, to reconfigure the powerplant on the P50 to a system similar to that seen on the P60? The P50 powerplant is its biggest problem. Not in terms of reliability, but efficiency. It lacks the ability to loiter well.
          A over the horizon sensor upgrade beyond navigation radar would also be nice.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
            I wonder is it possible, mid life, to reconfigure the powerplant on the P50 to a system similar to that seen on the P60? The P50 powerplant is its biggest problem. Not in terms of reliability, but efficiency. It lacks the ability to loiter well.
            You mean like a PTO type system?

Comment

Not necessarily. Just something that doesn't need to be at full tilt to be operating efficiently.

Comment

A ship's powerplant is a large structure consisting of the Main Engines , Gear Boxes, Intermediate shafts, Tailshafts and propellers. The under Engine foundations are specially designed to give all that power train a required rigidity. Holes are drilled to take the engine Bed Plate and it in turn is drilled to take the Engine mountings. The critical dimension at the outset, is the dimensions of the Main Engine, if that is changed then everything else has to be adjusted to fit. You can change the power plant if you can bear the cost. Some ships have a removal route to do just that for major Engine room requirements such as the elderly P31. My own belief would be remove Funnel, engine room casing, open intermediate decking, lift out engine, and replace it with similar designed for slow running. However it might be better to replace the bow thruster with a dual Thruster/Loiter gear system with increased Power Output matched with Power provision. I would go to half the original cost of the ship to get it right for another twenty years.

Comment

Thank you sir for your well informed response. Exactly what I was asking.
                  I am familiar with the ER spaces on the P50 and they are quite snug. While I could see engine removal being a possibility, would an option be to rejig the gearing to allow the electrical generators to run one or both of the props?

Comment

Thank you sir for your well informed response. Exactly what I was asking.
                    I am familiar with the ER spaces on the P50 and they are quite snug. While I could see engine removal being a possibility, would an option be to rejig the gearing to allow the electrical generators to run one or both of the props?
                    If there was space to put new gearing in you could couple the props to Electric Motors. But I am not sure the space is there and if operationally it would bring much of an improvement. The P60, have in addition to the Electric drive an improved stability system which work's at the lower speed, when the fin stabilisers are ineffective. This would be more difficult to retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                      If there was space to put new gearing in you could couple the props to Electric Motors. But I am not sure the space is there and if operationally it would bring much of an improvement. The P60, have in addition to the Electric drive an improved stability system which work's at the lower speed, when the fin stabilisers are ineffective. This would be more difficult to retrofit
                      Given your latest post on Tanks I really think you should let the experts at it when it comes to ships as you are really out of your depth so to speak on either subject!
                      #
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

If there are shaft generators then maybe they could be replaced with a set capable of Taking Power through the Switch Board and driving the shafts similar to the P60's. Loitering is always a problem for Medium speed Diesels due to low loads coking up the Main Engine. Bursts of high speed every 30/60 minutes helps to blow out deposits. However often the speed for docking and departure is also too high which requires adaption such as doing it on one engine and thruster , and squirting the speed as required. Another solution is using Bow loiter gear with propulsion capability up to 6/7 kts. These matters should be on the table at Building Design phase.

Comment

You would have to wonder then why we sent niamh to sophia instead of one of the more capable 60 class where the loiter function would probably be a daily requirement?

Comment

Originally posted by restless View Post
                            You would have to wonder then why we sent niamh to sophia instead of one of the more capable 60 class where the loiter function would probably be a daily requirement?
                            Don't know. It is doable using good procedures and reading your task requirements closely. The ship and her commander were " in all respects ready for sea" as per Sailing Order No.---. Loiter is compensated by loading the ME at suitable intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by restless View Post
                              I don't loiter driver is a misson killer, when you think of loiter drive in hostile environments, think stationary target!
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X