Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Argentine Submarine

Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm guessing this won't end well

A Nasa research plane joins the search for the vessel, now missing in the Atlantic for three days.

Made me think of the Kursk...that was 17 years ago...time flies...
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

A USN P8 and the HMS Protector have joined the search, think a Chilean MPA has also joined it, but yeah things aren't looking great for it. Given the appalling state of their military however it's not surprising think they were averaging something crazy like only 6 or so hours dive time on the subs in the last decade, while they had other examples like the 42 that sunk in harbour. It must be awful for the families.

Comment

Terrible way to go if that's what's happened

Comment

Reports that the sub may have tried to make contact with it's emergency system:
        Argentina's Navy says it does not have clear evidence that newly detected distress calls came from a lost submarine with 44 crew.

Comment

Well that's hopeful someone was still alive yesterday afternoon

Comment

Looks like neither the Navy nor Iridium can confirm the reports of Satellite calls on Saturday, at this stage it's not looking good for the crew.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
              Looks like neither the Navy nor Iridium can confirm the reports of Satellite calls on Saturday, at this stage it's not looking good for the crew.
              Its not I'm afraid.

I've been following the thread on ARRSE...the submariners on there don't seem hopeful...they believe the crew can generate oxygen for about seven days...providing there hasn't been a fire or leakage of hydrogen chlorine from the batteries to contaminate the air.

We're five days in.

If these sounds are from the sub...then shes at 200 metres...with people still alive inside.

Sounds that were detected during the search for a missing Argentine navy submarine did not come from the vessel, the navy said late Monday.

Horrendous.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but would they not have an emergency epirb that could be launched from torpedo tube?

Comment

Now it's being reported that the sounds reported are biological not from the sub...

Comment

Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
                    Pardon my ignorance, but would they not have an emergency epirb that could be launched from torpedo tube?
                    Apparently they have some kind of cable deployed system which can be launched from the sub which allows surface comms.

Comment

a trailing aerial for normal comms and a tethered bouy for emergency comms.

Comment

There is also on some types that are launched manually when the boat bottoms out without power, to mark its resting place. I understand it must be manually launched though. If the crew are incapacitated it remains in its container.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

There's meant to be a briefing at 10AM local time but nothing yet, must be impossible for the families.
                          On a bit of related news an RAF Voyager landed in Buenos Aires for the first time since '82 to help in the search.

Comment

Absolutely horrific situation for the crew and their loved ones.

I'm hoping for a miracle on this to be honest - that nothing at all has been heard is very disconcerting.

Everyone knows the state of the Argentine navy in recent times...

If there's any positive whatsoever in this, it's seeing the British contribution to the search and rescue effort.

Comment

I keep coming on here hoping someone will have posted good news

It's really not looking good for them

God help them

The bouy they deploy for comms...would it be likely to get ripped away in the sea states they're seeing down there?
                              Last edited by spider; 22 November 2017, 23:07. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X