Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Baltinglass
    Posts
    406
    Post Thanks / Like

    Patrolling a hard border

    The only option I see if that ends up happening is airborne: drones or Spectres with groundscanning radars detecing vehicle movements and FLIR for looking at licence plates, working with ground based cops to intercept anything suspicious.

  2. #2
    Lt General apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    4,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think the three new Cessna replacements will be used for eh??
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  3. #3
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like
    A big wall , and forget about them on the other side .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

  4. #4
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    If/when NI leaves the EU Customs Union, the responsable agency will be Revenue Customs & Excise Division. If you look at their badges you’ll note 12 yellow stars around it. They and similar agencies around Europe will be tasked with facilitating legitimate trade and engaging in enforcement action as required. They have the powers and the big stick.

    Revenue primarily work via risk assessments and have excellent IT systems (from what I’ve experienced).

    I would forsee approved roads types situations, random checkpoints etc

  5. #5
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    What do you think the three new Cessna replacements will be used for eh??
    And what about the Rock Apes, what part will they play?

  6. #6
    CQMS spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Intelligence

    Jointly shared

    Leading to planned ops to catch smugglers

    With suitably deterring sentences in both jurisdictions (that's where my plan falls on its arse)

    A hard border is unsustainable unless you're going to crater the side roads

    Been tried before...didn't work
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

  7. #7
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can barely stop smuggling now when there is very little that incurs duty or is controlled by customs. Brexit will men everything coming from the UK will incur a duty of some kind, and all these goods will be smuggled.
    As soon as you lay the first brick of a border wall, it will become a target to terrorists on both sides. Unless you introduce a 15km border zone either side, which would need to be patrolled and manned round the clock.
    I don't think anyone realises just how many Police, Army and Customs officers worked on the border during the 70s and 80s, and the fact that this concentration of experienced staff no longer exists on either side of the border.
    You can't just pluck them from mid air.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  8. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Likes Tempest, sofa, DeV, morpheus, hptmurphy liked this post
  9. #8
    CQMS spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmit� View Post
    We can barely stop smuggling now when there is very little that incurs duty or is controlled by customs. Brexit will men everything coming from the UK will incur a duty of some kind, and all these goods will be smuggled.
    As soon as you lay the first brick of a border wall, it will become a target to terrorists on both sides. Unless you introduce a 15km border zone either side, which would need to be patrolled and manned round the clock.
    I don't think anyone realises just how many Police, Army and Customs officers worked on the border during the 70s and 80s, and the fact that this concentration of experienced staff no longer exists on either side of the border.
    You can't just pluck them from mid air.
    What he says.

    And to take us back to the 90's (Deacon Blue, Madonna etc) the security effort in Northern Ireland required approx SIXTY
    RAF, Army and RN airframes. And the border still leaked like a sieve. Money spent on checkpoints etc would be better invested in proactive intelligence led teams, ANPR technology and paying touts sorry Covert Human Intelligence Sources.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

  10. Likes DeV, Shaqra liked this post
  11. #9
    C/S
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,056
    Post Thanks / Like
    Northern Ireland will stay in the customs union and the single market and there will be a wet border. The DUP will accept it because unless theyre total cretins they know that

    A) This deal will mean that the North's mainly protestant farmers will also retain CAP funding and what industry there still is in Belfast wont last five minutes in the brexiters world of cheap food and industrial imports,
    B) They dont want Corbyn or John Mc Donnell from Labour striking the deal
    C) Deep down they know the English want to get rid of them
    D) Theresa May will sell them down the river in an instant for a deal that helps the City of London, shes caved in on money ( Florence's £20Billion has transformed into tonights £100 billion) and EU citizens rights, the EU is on a roll and leo and Simon can't back down on the border.
    E) The hard right brexiteers are extreme liberitarians who believe that the state and all those who work in it should be cut back to the bare minimum or privatised and wil sack every spare public sector worker in the north that they can.

    Unless they're a bunch of inbred religious maniacs who believe that God has predestined this, they should know that their best bet of retaining their way of life is striking a deal now and agreeing to it before the brexiters "Singapore on thames" vision of the future has a chance to come to fruition, because if Liam Fox , Daniel Hannan, Arron Banks and David Davis' vision of the U.K. is realised then well have Ballymena and Bushmills voting for a united ireland by a landslide, and maybe even liverpool and manchester..
    Last edited by paul g; 29th November 2017 at 00:04.

  12. #10
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paul g View Post
    Northern Ireland will stay in the customs union and the single market and there will be a wet border. The DUP will accept it because unless theyre total cretins they know that

    A) This deal will mean that the North's mainly protestant farmers will also retain CAP funding and what industry there still is in Belfast wont last five minutes in the brexiters world of cheap food and industrial imports,
    B) They dont want Corbyn or John Mc Donnell from Labour striking the deal
    C) Deep down they know the English want to get rid of them
    D) Theresa May will sell them down the river in an instant for a deal that helps the City of London, shes caved in on money ( Florence's £20Billion has transformed into tonights £100 billion) and EU citizens rights, the EU is on a roll and leo and Simon can't back down on the border.
    E) The hard right brexiteers are extreme liberitarians who believe that the state and all those who work in it should be cut back to the bare minimum or privatised and wil sack every spare public sector worker in the north that they can.

    Unless they're a bunch of inbred religious maniacs who believe that God has predestined this, they should know that their best bet of retaining their way of life is striking a deal now and agreeing to it before the brexiters "Singapore on thames" vision of the future has a chance to come to fruition, because if Liam Fox , Daniel Hannan, Arron Banks and David Davis' vision of the U.K. is realised then well have Ballymena and Bushmills voting for a united ireland by a landslide, and maybe even liverpool and manchester..
    Excellent points but unfortunately they are cretins. As are their Westminister buddies

  13. #11
    Lt General apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    4,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    And what about the Rock Apes, what part will they play?
    Eh? What you talkin about Willis?
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •