Major CT ex yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
    the current use of SF (its a joint SAS/SBS pool) to supplement civilian police in the UK has two purposes - firstly the traditional 'to weigh in when the rozzers are out of their depth' role, but arguably more importantly given the massive strides the Police CT SFO's have made in capability to take on both active shooter and hostage rescue tasks, its to just massively increase the number of very highly trained, heavily armed people available to respond to these events.

this, i think, is being lost in this debate - all this stuff about who turns up and when utterly fails to grasp that these events last 10 minutes, if your people aren't there by then, these geezers will just drive off. or have killed a hundred people...
    Agreed though it depends on the type of scenario you are facing.

In the London Bridge type of incident the responders are very much reactive...so yes multiple callsigns to deal with the threat and contain the scene.

If you are looking at a proactive intelligence led operation a lot of effort will be put into looking at who is best placed to neutralise the threat. Is it AFOs...or military?

To use a Northern Ireland analogy...the Police never had the manpower or firepower to take on an armoured lorry with a DShK mounted on the rear. The Army did.

They could also bring to bear manpower and kit which the police couldn't...someone mentioned the SRR...

I realise apod the situation may be different in Ireland I'm simply giving my perspective from my experience.

Interesting times and an interesting debate.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
      That was then.Poorly trained Gardai and Soldiers(by todays standards).
      This is now. ARW and ERU are very different now to the early 80's and train together constantly.

Having said that ERU always have one eye on the European convention on human rights when they operate. ARW when deployed would have a a lot more "freedom" given to them by Government(COC: OC ARW straight to the minister).That's why they are the last resort.If they get called in the bad guys would be lucky to leave in cuffs and not body bags.
      You are so full of it.

ARW CO reports directly to DCOS Ops, not to the minister.

"Train together all the time" - yeah sure. Ask the ARW what they think of the ERU doing fast roping exercises. Chequered to say the least.

Seriously, you talk some amount of shite. Stick to what you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
        You are so full of it.

ARW CO reports directly to DCOS Ops, not to the minister.

"Train together all the time" - yeah sure. Ask the ARW what they think of the ERU doing fast roping exercises. Chequered to say the least.

Seriously, you talk some amount of shite. Stick to what you know.
        Oh. Them's fightin words.
        First off buddy you don't know me from adam and you sure as hell don't know what I know or don't know.But hey with the massive tally of all 16 posts in 10 months of membership I will humor you.

1/ OC ARW reports directly to the MINISTER.That is the chain of COMMAND. The CoS and both DCoS's COMMAND nothing.Nor does the ACoS. In terms of COMMAND OC ARW has the same status as a GoC or FOCNS. GoC DFTC has oversight of the Wings Admin and discipline but he has no Operational COMMAND over them.
        2/ If ARW are operating in a particular Brigade the Minister will place them under Tactical Command of the Relevant GoC as advised by the DCoS Ops.this is for legal reasons and to shield the OC ARW from having to deal with the media etc and subsequent enquiries.
        3/ If you THINK you know better please feel free to brief the Brigade legal officer who briefed my Units BN CO,all his officers,SNCO's and Sgts on COMMAND only last week.A brief I was at personally. So yes I think I know what I am talking about.Unless of course you want to call the GoC's Chief legal advisor a liar too?

So who is full of shite now?
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Folks please desist from the name calling - this is not that thread . Take it to PM and be civil.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
          X