Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like

Fire on Naval Base.

I'm hearing reports of a considerable fire at the Naval Base this evening. Appears to be in the area of the Cadet school, next to the Wardroom?

German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

2. Thanks EUFighter, ibenji, DeV, Turkey thanked for this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the Echo and the Indo have it:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36428912.html

I can see the smoke from over the hill but no flames

4. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Yeah the Echo and the Indo have it:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36428912.html

I can see the smoke from over the hill but no flames
    That building was the Naval Service for about 50 years, housing Ops Room,and DCO accommodation on top floor, then Base CO, typists, and executive Officer next floor down, followed by MAA, and Administration on the ground floor, and rodents and junk in the basement. There was also a through walk to cliff stairs to access the Communications centre and an old Iconic Tower.
    The pity is that it is the second historic building gone up in smoke in the last 10 years. We dont have a good history of repairing or replacing bust up buildings. Perhaps it could be rebuilt as general classrooms/accommodation for general courses and visitors. For instance we don't have an actual administration school . There are many possibilities but please don't let it be an eyesore.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 22nd December 2017 at 09:34.

6. Thanks terrier, Turkey, na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes Tempest, GoneToTheCanner, sofa, restless liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    It should be easier to renovate than the building destroyed in the previous fire. The heat there did permanent damage to the structure of the limestone, and the water used to damp down the flames made it fatally brittle. The only hope is the frame around will stop it from falling down.
    Would I be right in thinking that everyone who used to be located in the building damaged in last nights fire moved to block 6 when it was renovated? If so it will suffer the same fate as block 4. No imputus to renovate it as it has no current use. It will join the long list of derelict buildings on Haulbowline, damaged by fire.
    Tank Building.
    Block 10
    Block 11
    Block 4

Where next?

8. Likes hptmurphy, restless liked this post
    bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have thought that under insurance that these buildings would be surveyed / inspected annually,,maybe not with the modern navy ,, No base inspections where areas are cleaned up etc for inspection ..This gets rid of lots of flammable rubbish ... A lovely building in its day and was the hub of activity..served its purpose..It was too easy to abandon it ...Maybe now someone with bars on shoulders should think,,, what building will burn next ,,, In the past few years there has been a run down of the island and it looks neglected in certain areas...,,We had pride in it back when I would regard it as a naval base and visitors always admired it ,, This building may be in luck as it is beside the officers mess and they will not like that eyesore when entertaining..so it may be restored/rebuilt..that is if a leader will put a good case forward for it not sit in an office waiting for next promotion..

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What insurance for State buildings ?
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

11. Thanks na grohmití, DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, The real Jack liked this post
    Intelligence Officer The Blue Max's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there still a NS fire appliance? There was previously a Dennis fire tender there.
    British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Max View Post
    Is there still a NS fire appliance? There was previously a Dennis fire tender there.
    They have at least one mobile unit and portable pumps connectable to fire mains to reach upper floors. Extendable ladders also available. They also had/have a fire training unit near the TT Bay.

14. Thanks The Blue Max thanked for this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given the size of the Island, the large quantity of fuel stored there and the clear risk of fire to two hundred year old buildings, its time to up the game a little? A pharma plant not far from the base has two fire tenders of its own.
    Or will we have to wait until an inevitable fire while one of the ships are being fuelled?

16. Likes sofa liked this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Given the size of the Island, the large quantity of fuel stored there and the clear risk of fire to two hundred year old buildings, its time to up the game a little? A pharma plant not far from the base has two fire tenders of its own.
    Or will we have to wait until an inevitable fire while one of the ships are being fuelled?
    There is probably a FF system with foam at the oil wharf enclosure which includes a bund around the tanks.The overall fire prevention program for the Base is overseen by the Corps of Engineers.

18. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does DFTC have its own fire brigade? Is it due to the Ammo Depot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haulbowline is probably the only place that everyone has firefighting training

21. Likes DeV, sofa, The Blue Max liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    There is probably a FF system with foam at the oil wharf enclosure which includes a bund around the tanks.The overall fire prevention program for the Base is overseen by the Corps of Engineers.
    There is no FF system at the oil wharf.

23. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwatch View Post
    There is no FF system at the oil wharf.
    This is a frightening reality, given the proximity of the wharf to every other important building on the base.

25. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bravo20 View Post
    haulbowline is probably the only place that everyone has firefighting training
    n.m.c.i

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like

DFTC

Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    The Camp always had a wide range of buildings and range of occupancy from ammunition Depots, wooden hutments, prison, hospital, childrens schools, and internment camp. They always had a FB based at the Water Tower. In my childhood the brigade was looked after by a SNCO by the name of O'Sullivan/ Sullivan. His son was commissioned and his daughter later wrote a child's memories of the Curragh. The Brigade was in heavy use with many accidental fires and an attempt to burn down the Internment Camp. There were many reasons to have an adequate Brigade not least the ammunition Depot. My abiding memory of the Curragh, as an adult, on Mil Courses was the wanton neglect of the Military Graveyard and partial dishevelment of individual graves including those of families left in our care. Hopefully things have now improved.

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    It's been there for a long, long time (taken over from the British, run by the COE).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The Camp always had a wide range of buildings and range of occupancy from ammunition Depots, wooden hutments, prison, hospital, childrens schools, and internment camp. They always had a FB based at the Water Tower. In my childhood the brigade was looked after by a SNCO by the name of O'Sullivan/ Sullivan. His son was commissioned and his daughter later wrote a child's memories of the Curragh. The Brigade was in heavy use with many accidental fires and an attempt to burn down the Internment Camp. There were many reasons to have an adequate Brigade not least the ammunition Depot. My abiding memory of the Curragh, as an adult, on Mil Courses was the wanton neglect of the Military Graveyard and partial dishevelment of individual graves including those of families left in our care. Hopefully things have now improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaithiDub View Post
    It's been there for a long, long time (taken over from the British, run by the COE).
    Yes but we are talking about 2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Why are we asking why the Camp has its own firefighters?
    There are large industrial companies that I know of have trained personnel in firefighting as a first line of defence, i mean with BA's and hoses etc, not just a hiviz and fire extinguisher.
    Why shouldn't the largest military base in ireland have its own unit?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

31. Likes Sparky42, na grohmití liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    It dates back to when the Curragh was a town itself, with a cinema, shops, amenities etc. Even the hospital used to (and still did until quite recently) treat civis, I remember being on sick parade and an MO was designated for the civis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    Why are we asking why the Camp has its own firefighters?
    There are large industrial companies that I know of have trained personnel in firefighting as a first line of defence, i mean with BA's and hoses etc, not just a hiviz and fire extinguisher.
    Why shouldn't the largest military base in ireland have its own unit?
    Discussion

A lot of those reasons are outdated. More modern design, building materials and firefighting equipment is available

My personal view is that it isn’t a the stage (yet) that it should be got rid of but my understanding (I could be wrong) is that they (like Baldonnel) provide fire cover in the immediate area as well. Do Kildare Fire Service and Dublin Fire Brigade providing funding for this.

My own job has an Emergency Response Team who train to use hydrants etc so I do see the utility.

Thread Information