Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFTC

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Why does DFTC have its own fire brigade? Is it due to the Ammo Depot?
    The Camp always had a wide range of buildings and range of occupancy from ammunition Depots, wooden hutments, prison, hospital, childrens schools, and internment camp. They always had a FB based at the Water Tower. In my childhood the brigade was looked after by a SNCO by the name of O'Sullivan/ Sullivan. His son was commissioned and his daughter later wrote a child's memories of the Curragh. The Brigade was in heavy use with many accidental fires and an attempt to burn down the Internment Camp. There were many reasons to have an adequate Brigade not least the ammunition Depot. My abiding memory of the Curragh, as an adult, on Mil Courses was the wanton neglect of the Military Graveyard and partial dishevelment of individual graves including those of families left in our care. Hopefully things have now improved.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Why does DFTC have its own fire brigade? Is it due to the Ammo Depot?
      It's been there for a long, long time (taken over from the British, run by the COE).

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
        The Camp always had a wide range of buildings and range of occupancy from ammunition Depots, wooden hutments, prison, hospital, childrens schools, and internment camp. They always had a FB based at the Water Tower. In my childhood the brigade was looked after by a SNCO by the name of O'Sullivan/ Sullivan. His son was commissioned and his daughter later wrote a child's memories of the Curragh. The Brigade was in heavy use with many accidental fires and an attempt to burn down the Internment Camp. There were many reasons to have an adequate Brigade not least the ammunition Depot. My abiding memory of the Curragh, as an adult, on Mil Courses was the wanton neglect of the Military Graveyard and partial dishevelment of individual graves including those of families left in our care. Hopefully things have now improved.
        Originally posted by DaithiDub View Post
        It's been there for a long, long time (taken over from the British, run by the COE).
        Yes but we are talking about 2018

Comment

Why are we asking why the Camp has its own firefighters?
          There are large industrial companies that I know of have trained personnel in firefighting as a first line of defence, i mean with BA's and hoses etc, not just a hiviz and fire extinguisher.
          Why shouldn't the largest military base in ireland have its own unit?
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

It dates back to when the Curragh was a town itself, with a cinema, shops, amenities etc. Even the hospital used to (and still did until quite recently) treat civis, I remember being on sick parade and an MO was designated for the civis.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
              Why are we asking why the Camp has its own firefighters?
              There are large industrial companies that I know of have trained personnel in firefighting as a first line of defence, i mean with BA's and hoses etc, not just a hiviz and fire extinguisher.
              Why shouldn't the largest military base in ireland have its own unit?
              Discussion

A lot of those reasons are outdated. More modern design, building materials and firefighting equipment is available

My personal view is that it isn’t a the stage (yet) that it should be got rid of but my understanding (I could be wrong) is that they (like Baldonnel) provide fire cover in the immediate area as well. Do Kildare Fire Service and Dublin Fire Brigade providing funding for this.

My own job has an Emergency Response Team who train to use hydrants etc so I do see the utility.

Comment

Working...
              X