Looking Forward/Loooking Back 2017/2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not meant to be antagonistic so please do not takenit as such:

It is an easy way out for units. Keep the reserve occupied with a load of range days which require a limited enough PDF contribution and then for the rest of the year you dont need to worry about them looking to use up resources doing things that just create work.

The reserve is on its knees. It is easy to blame the PDF for the recruiting challenges etc but the reality is that it was killed by the recruiment freeze.

As a concept we do not do volunteerism very well long term in this country. People take up hobbies and activities and drop them a few weeks or months later. People will not stay in the reserve for 30 years and be there every week either. It is unrealistic to expect that they would.

I am not sure how to speed up recuitment. They still need to go through the hoops of vetting (even though the latest version is a joke), medical, fitness etc. Fitness failures and no-shows is well over 50%.

You cannot have a scenario where people are allowed to train without being vetted.

Since the majority of the cadres were do away with and the well flagged shortages in the PDF the RDF are a double edged sword. They need a lot of resources to get them to the level that they are useful / dependable / capable but the units do not have the resources to do that.

Comment

Where is the dark side. Im same callsign as morpheus and my feelings are same. 21 years in and the last 4 have been shite. All about stp and bugger all else.
      Im thinking about discharge and joining Garda reserve

Comment

How much of the insistance on doing shooting competitions is coming from the RDF? Over the last 4 years there must have been changes in the Bn leadership so the only constant is the RDF element

Comment

Recruiting is a major issue now because not enough was done about retention in the past (everyone from recruit up has to accept a degree of responsibility for that).

To use this STP, is it aiding retention

Will people recruited fall by the wayside? Of course they will but if we are left 50% of a full recruit pln in 2/3 years....

Recruiting is and will always be important don’t get me wrong

Comment

You cannot have a scenario where people are allowed to train without being vetted.
            No-one is arguing against vetting, after 32 years in the force vetting is not the current problem, Vetting has been in since before I joined and by and large . Post 2012 the problems with induction are entirely outside RDF control and are nothing to do with vetting whatsoever . There have been several PQs this year on this topic, where the recurrent answer is to prioritize PDF recruitment over RDF

We could admin the recruitment/induction ourselves - a simple matter to have Manpower or Bde HR take a few RDF Sgts and Officers from the Line units so that process is maintained

As a concept we do not do volunteerism very well long term in this country. People take up hobbies and activities and drop them a few weeks or months later. People will not stay in the reserve for 30 years and be there every week either. It is unrealistic to expect that they would.
            Beg to differ. In addition you have the same IV ( Irish Volunteers) on your tunic buttons that I do.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              Thanks! one who had put a firecracker up his arrse and lit it...

Seems appropriate...

Seriously though, hope you're doing well.
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post

Seems appropriate...

Seriously though, hope you're doing well.
                I'm going to be humming that all evening now! I've just been told I'll be home by the weekend
                Last edited by Flamingo; 2 January 2018, 16:33.
                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  Depressing wait on promotions - is there really that few people in our DF HR and manpower - same thing seen in RDF recruitment "we're too busy cos we're doing PDF recruitment" - well let us do it then, it cant be any worse, as usual interfacing with pay is like a stone wall only I'd have torn the wall down by now
                  We've corporals who've gotten into their forties waiting for SNCO vacancies to be filled, ptes who've gotten into their thirties waiting for corporal vacancies. Our last recruit was six years ago. There were only a couple of people on Camp and we've recently ceased parading entirely because of the numbers situation.

All entirely avoidable. On the upside, I get a nice service medal this year.

Comment

We've corporals who've gotten into their forties waiting for SNCO vacancies to be filled, ptes who've gotten into their thirties waiting for corporal vacancies. Our last recruit was six years ago. There were only a couple of people on Camp and we've recently ceased parading entirely because of the numbers situation.
                    I'd like to address a couple of these points

a) a Sgt is not a senior NCO = CS/CQ/BSM/BQ
                    b) there are tons of corporal vacancies, just not in your unit or sub-unit
                    c) there has been some level of agreement that the next rounds of induction will apply to join a unit rather than a location ( see RDFRA last newsletter )

Many people do not see themselves as ever transferring and its fair to say many commanders dont encourage it but if you are stale where you are ( I did it twice now and both times was a huge change, some was positive, some was negative, but I'd never go back )

Comment

But his Naval Equivalent a Petty Officer is a Senior Rate....
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

( see RDFRA last newsletter )
                        These are still a thing?

Many people do not see themselves as ever transferring and its fair to say many commanders dont encourage it but if you are stale where you are ( I did it twice now and both times was a huge change, some was positive, some was negative, but I'd never go back )
                        I think we are going to need to adopt a PDF like attitude to promotions soon. Panels and points based on effectiveness, KPIs, Courses completed, Courses/time as an instructor etc. It will not work in all locations, like if you are going to a CS/CQ promotion board while living in Dublin and the available vacancy is in Kerry.

Comment

I'd like to address a couple of these points

Correct but if there are no Sgts vacancies then Sgt vacancies can only be created by promotion (of Sgts to SNCO rank) and natural wastage

Originally posted by odin
                          I think we are going to need to adopt a PDF like attitude to promotions soon. Panels and points based on effectiveness, KPIs, Courses completed, Courses/time as an instructor etc. It will not work in all locations, like if you are going to a CS/CQ promotion board while living in Dublin and the available vacancy is in Kerry.
                          It won’t be an option for a huge amount of people.

IMHO due to the nature of the RDF panels (like PDF now have) aren’t an option, it would end up like the reorg (people apply for Cork and get Donegal. The best option is to advertise vacancies as they occur (and make the criteria/areas assessed in line with what you suggest).

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                          These are still a thing?
                          yes

Comment

adopt a PDF like attitude to promotions soon. Panels and points based on effectiveness, KPIs, Courses completed, Courses/time
                            Already applies for competitive officer promotions, its 85/90% on 451s, 108s , file and courses , 10% on interview.

667s are not required to be completed for RDF NCOs which is appalling

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              It won’t be an option for a huge amount of people.

IMHO due to the nature of the RDF panels (like PDF now have) aren’t an option, it would end up like the reorg (people apply for Cork and get Donegal. The best option is to advertise vacancies as they occur (and make the criteria/areas assessed in line with what you suggest).
                              It would be feasible in Cities and Counties that have more that one unit or Corps. Some units will be within an acceptable distance, Ennis and Limerick, Mallow to Cork, Kilkenny and Dublin to the Curragh etc. I am not for a second suggesting Donegal to Cork as an option, but it might work on a regional basis.

Comment

You can advertise nationwide for a post to be filled competitively "Successful applicants MUST be able to parade in Cathal Brugha Bks on a regular basis, min 3 parades + 1 weekend per month"

It is up to the applicants to decide whether to put themselves up for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X