Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking Forward/Loooking Back 2017/2018

I'll start

First full year in a new place, one that welcomed me with open arms, work programme as long as your arm and new courses and out helping people with real things

Depressing wait on promotions - is there really that few people in our DF HR and manpower - same thing seen in RDF recruitment "we're too busy cos we're doing PDF recruitment" - well let us do it then, it cant be any worse, as usual interfacing with pay is like a stone wall only I'd have torn the wall down by now

Looking forward again hopefully teaching some new people and working closely with PDF counterparts, I can see it getting every busier so thats satisfying.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

2. Likes sofa, Truck Driver, DeV, smegers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tbh my year was awful. First 4 months taken up with stp. Then nothing. Occasional weekend training which was cancelled or changed at short notice.
    Most of the ncos in my callsign have put in for transfers.
    For 2018 id like to see some recruits and some proper training. Also a plan which stays as proposed

4. Thanks trellheim thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curates egg of a year. I spent New Years Eve last year in hospital after burning my right foot and after it got infected I spent a month in hospital needing a toe amputated and long term IV antibiotics. Spent from April to September getting my fitness level back up and learning how to run again and carry a rucksack.

End of November, a scar on my left foot flared up, and I've spent the last month in hospital having had a toe amputated on my left foot and long term IV antibiotics! So I guess I'm spending April- September learning how to run and carry a rucksack - again!

It won't happen next year - because I've run out of little toes!

Never mind, I shouldn't have joined if I can't take a joke!
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

6. Thanks trellheim, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes hedgehog, Pegasus, apod, Shaqra, hptmurphy liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow! Curates egg doesn't quite cut it! get well soon!

8. Thanks Flamingo, trellheim thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    SFC taking more and more effect

10. Thanks trellheim thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Curates egg of a year. I spent New Years Eve last year in hospital after burning my right foot and after it got infected I spent a month in hospital needing a toe amputated and long term IV antibiotics. Spent from April to September getting my fitness level back up and learning how to run again and carry a rucksack.

End of November, a scar on my left foot flared up, and I've spent the last month in hospital having had a toe amputated on my left foot and long term IV antibiotics! So I guess I'm spending April- September learning how to run and carry a rucksack - again!

It won't happen next year - because I've run out of little toes!

Never mind, I shouldn't have joined if I can't take a joke!
    Is it too early for a “toe the line” comment?
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

12. Thanks Flamingo, trellheim thanked for this post
    Likes ias, Flamingo, apod, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hedgie! I'll put my best foot forward...

14. Thanks trellheim thanked for this post
    Likes hedgehog, Shaqra, Truck Driver, hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    wow! Curates egg doesn't quite cut it! get well soon!
    Thanks! It wasn't all bad. There is nothing like spending time on a burns unit to make you realise you are not the only pillock in the world. Over the time I was there I saw six different people who had tried to light fires with petrol or white spirit, and one who had put a firecracker up his arrse and lit it...

Anyway, I'm sorry, I'm in danger of hijackng the thread, so carry on.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 1st January 2018 at 12:13.

16. Thanks trellheim thanked for this post
    Likes morpheus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been a dismal year for me.
    STP soaked up all of our time - so i took a break - we are so short on privates that by the time the STP was done, they had ticked most of their KPIs and used up most of their mandays.
    involved in 2 courses (1 is SIC 2 which is interesting and at least relative training that will be useful in my day job)
    Heading at least temporarily to pastures new, cannot face another year of STP... for now at least.
    Lets hope that this year is less depressing than last, or it may BE my last.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    Been a dismal year for me.
    STP soaked up all of our time - so i took a break - we are so short on privates that by the time the STP was done, they had ticked most of their KPIs and used up most of their mandays.
    involved in 2 courses (1 is SIC 2 which is interesting and at least relative training that will be useful in my day job)
    Heading at least temporarily to pastures new, cannot face another year of STP... for now at least.
    Lets hope that this year is less depressing than last, or it may BE my last.
    Stp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Shooting Team Practice, for the all army
    multiple weekends, full weeks of training with coaches etc
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

20. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, ODIN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shooting Team Practice, for the all army
    multiple weekends, full weeks of training with coaches etc
    WHAT THE

come to the dark side where such bs is not tolerated.

22. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, ODIN, na grohmití, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What trellheim said!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    every single time I have to be forcibly reminded of this dickery how the fk does that do anything for DF outputs

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not a rant, I can understand it to a degree....

on a positive note it definitely improves marksmanship in everyone involved,
    it builds team spirit and improves unit morale-
    This is proven in that my callsign has either won or been in the finals at all disciplines in the last few years and in general those involved enjoy it.

On a negative note it decimates availability of troops for everything else for the remainder of the year.

when units were larger, this was just one form of participation during the year, units had whole teams of people who were engaged in competing... whilst they also had platoons worth of other troops who saved their time to soldier, do courses, hone infantry skills etc. now the guys who dont like getting their boots dirty can swan around for the rest of the year, not worrying about having to crawl around in muck covered in sheep sh*te and the rest of those who would like to, are just not turning up for anything since they've used all of their free time to participate in the competitions anyway, this includes butts operators as well as shooting team members.

Our full time comrades have trouble understanding this mentality since we "volunteer" and they are "tasked" ... its a hard place to be for some of us :( thus we look for transfers away to try to recapture what it means to actually train and feel at least a tiny bit like we are contributing positively to the reserve and the wider defence forces, for the taxes paid for us.

we're down to the bones numbers wise and its probably the only outlet for commanders etc to feel like they have something achievable at unit level.
    Last edited by morpheus; 2nd January 2018 at 12:47.

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not meant to be antagonistic so please do not takenit as such:

It is an easy way out for units. Keep the reserve occupied with a load of range days which require a limited enough PDF contribution and then for the rest of the year you dont need to worry about them looking to use up resources doing things that just create work.

The reserve is on its knees. It is easy to blame the PDF for the recruiting challenges etc but the reality is that it was killed by the recruiment freeze.

As a concept we do not do volunteerism very well long term in this country. People take up hobbies and activities and drop them a few weeks or months later. People will not stay in the reserve for 30 years and be there every week either. It is unrealistic to expect that they would.

I am not sure how to speed up recuitment. They still need to go through the hoops of vetting (even though the latest version is a joke), medical, fitness etc. Fitness failures and no-shows is well over 50%.

You cannot have a scenario where people are allowed to train without being vetted.

Since the majority of the cadres were do away with and the well flagged shortages in the PDF the RDF are a double edged sword. They need a lot of resources to get them to the level that they are useful / dependable / capable but the units do not have the resources to do that.

27. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the dark side. Im same callsign as morpheus and my feelings are same. 21 years in and the last 4 have been shite. All about stp and bugger all else.
    Im thinking about discharge and joining Garda reserve

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much of the insistance on doing shooting competitions is coming from the RDF? Over the last 4 years there must have been changes in the Bn leadership so the only constant is the RDF element

30. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recruiting is a major issue now because not enough was done about retention in the past (everyone from recruit up has to accept a degree of responsibility for that).

To use this STP, is it aiding retention

Will people recruited fall by the wayside? Of course they will but if we are left 50% of a full recruit pln in 2/3 years....

Recruiting is and will always be important don’t get me wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    You cannot have a scenario where people are allowed to train without being vetted.
    No-one is arguing against vetting, after 32 years in the force vetting is not the current problem, Vetting has been in since before I joined and by and large . Post 2012 the problems with induction are entirely outside RDF control and are nothing to do with vetting whatsoever . There have been several PQs this year on this topic, where the recurrent answer is to prioritize PDF recruitment over RDF

We could admin the recruitment/induction ourselves - a simple matter to have Manpower or Bde HR take a few RDF Sgts and Officers from the Line units so that process is maintained

As a concept we do not do volunteerism very well long term in this country. People take up hobbies and activities and drop them a few weeks or months later. People will not stay in the reserve for 30 years and be there every week either. It is unrealistic to expect that they would.
    Beg to differ. In addition you have the same IV ( Irish Volunteers) on your tunic buttons that I do.

33. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Thanks! one who had put a firecracker up his arrse and lit it...

Seems appropriate...

Seriously though, hope you're doing well.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

35. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post

Seems appropriate...

Seriously though, hope you're doing well.
    I'm going to be humming that all evening now! I've just been told I'll be home by the weekend
    Last edited by Flamingo; 2nd January 2018 at 15:33.

37. Likes ODIN liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Depressing wait on promotions - is there really that few people in our DF HR and manpower - same thing seen in RDF recruitment "we're too busy cos we're doing PDF recruitment" - well let us do it then, it cant be any worse, as usual interfacing with pay is like a stone wall only I'd have torn the wall down by now
    We've corporals who've gotten into their forties waiting for SNCO vacancies to be filled, ptes who've gotten into their thirties waiting for corporal vacancies. Our last recruit was six years ago. There were only a couple of people on Camp and we've recently ceased parading entirely because of the numbers situation.

All entirely avoidable. On the upside, I get a nice service medal this year.

39. Likes trellheim, ODIN, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've corporals who've gotten into their forties waiting for SNCO vacancies to be filled, ptes who've gotten into their thirties waiting for corporal vacancies. Our last recruit was six years ago. There were only a couple of people on Camp and we've recently ceased parading entirely because of the numbers situation.
    I'd like to address a couple of these points

a) a Sgt is not a senior NCO = CS/CQ/BSM/BQ
    b) there are tons of corporal vacancies, just not in your unit or sub-unit
    c) there has been some level of agreement that the next rounds of induction will apply to join a unit rather than a location ( see RDFRA last newsletter )

Many people do not see themselves as ever transferring and its fair to say many commanders dont encourage it but if you are stale where you are ( I did it twice now and both times was a huge change, some was positive, some was negative, but I'd never go back )

Post Thanks / Like
    a) a Sgt is not a senior NCO = CS/CQ/BSM/BQ
    But his Naval Equivalent a Petty Officer is a Senior Rate....
    Time for another break I think......

42. Likes na grohmití, apod liked this post

Thread Information