No announcement yet.

Looking Forward/Loooking Back 2017/2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or do as they do for the RDF officer competitions and put a distance limit on it. "Candidates must live within 100km of the unit where the vacancy exists" etc

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
      It would be feasible in Cities and Counties that have more that one unit or Corps. Some units will be within an acceptable distance, Ennis and Limerick, Mallow to Cork, Kilkenny and Dublin to the Curragh etc. I am not for a second suggesting Donegal to Cork as an option, but it might work on a regional basis.
      Yes but not for all. Not everyone drives. You could have someone might live in Ennis, work in Galway and be posted into Limerick.

My all know the organisation well enough to know exactly what would happen.

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      You can advertise nationwide for a post to be filled competitively "Successful applicants MUST be able to parade in Cathal Brugha Bks on a regular basis, min 3 parades + 1 weekend per month"

It is up to the applicants to decide whether to put themselves up for it.
      Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
      Or do as they do for the RDF officer competitions and put a distance limit on it. "Candidates must live within 100km of the unit where the vacancy exists" etc
      Which isn’t fool proof either!

Should be worded as trellheim suggests

Comment

there is a bit of need for both, if the boss calls an urgent parade and your 200km away, doesn't happen often though.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

there is a bit of need for both, if the boss calls an urgent parade and your 200km away, doesn't happen often though.
          Then you get the senior staff officer in a brigade that lives about 2 hours away from the Bde HQ if not more.

Comment

Already applies for competitive officer promotions, its 85/90% on 451s, 108s , file and courses , 10% on interview.

667s are not required to be completed for RDF NCOs which is appalling
            I've had a 667 annually since the re org. Granted, easier for my Sunray to do this!
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I've had a 667 annually since the re org. Granted, easier for my Sunray to do this!
              You are the exception. Ask around.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                And where have they gone? There is no regulatory provision for you to get one. There is no provision for them to be retained. There is no AF667 (RDF). There is an AF451 (RDF) which is retained in COMO

Comment

I'd like to address a couple of these points

a) a Sgt is not a senior NCO = CS/CQ/BSM/BQ
                  Wasn't a mistake. It's gotten that bad in terms of foot-dragging (some of it by tea-drinkers).

b) there are tons of corporal vacancies, just not in your unit or sub-unit
                  Of less than zero interest to any of us. People have made considerable sacrifices to make it to the new location over the past five or so years, but that day is clearly about done.

c) there has been some level of agreement that the next rounds of induction will apply to join a unit rather than a location ( see RDFRA last newsletter )
                  I'll believe when I see it. Meanwhile, we're toast, following in the steps of a sister sub-unit.

Many people do not see themselves as ever transferring and its fair to say many commanders dont encourage it but if you are stale where you are ( I did it twice now and both times was a huge change, some was positive, some was negative, but I'd never go back )
                  This isn't my first Unit, Corps or even army no. And while I endorse the need to keep a positive mental attitude in front of the troops, the reality is that the RDF is nearly dead.

Comment

From the POV of a RDF private, just before the reorg and for two years into it there were a number of excellent courses that were advertised to all ranks in our unit, but you had to be corporal rank or above to join them. At the time, getting onto a POTS course was pretty difficult because of the number of privates in the unit, and especially so after the reorg as a number of units combined and competition increased for the 1 or 2 places.
                    After the reorg there were two courses opened to privates advertised as far as I remember, but two things happened; the fitness test was a requirement for them and if you applied, the NCOs were in the line for the course before the privates. I see the last course that was circulated to us doesn't appear to require a fitness test, which is a welcome development for a non-physical course.
                    Maintaining motivation to do the same thing every year, was certainly a large factor in leaving for many experienced privates I knew.

Comment

Then you get the senior staff officer in a brigade that lives about 2 hours away from the Bde HQ if not more.
                      More I'd say!
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
                        c) there has been some level of agreement that the next rounds of induction will apply to join a unit rather than a location ( see RDFRA last newsletter )
                        This was torpedoed in Dublin just before Xmas.... won't go into details on open board

Comment

There is no AF667 (RDF).
                          Annex E to Chapter 4 Admin Instr R5 is the AF667 (RDF)

Comment

Working...
                          X