Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41
  1. #26
    Major General ODIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    ( see RDFRA last newsletter )
    These are still a thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Many people do not see themselves as ever transferring and its fair to say many commanders dont encourage it but if you are stale where you are ( I did it twice now and both times was a huge change, some was positive, some was negative, but I'd never go back )
    I think we are going to need to adopt a PDF like attitude to promotions soon. Panels and points based on effectiveness, KPIs, Courses completed, Courses/time as an instructor etc. It will not work in all locations, like if you are going to a CS/CQ promotion board while living in Dublin and the available vacancy is in Kerry.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

  2. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
  3. #27
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    I'd like to address a couple of these points

    a) a Sgt is not a senior NCO = CS/CQ/BSM/BQ
    Correct but if there are no Sgts vacancies then Sgt vacancies can only be created by promotion (of Sgts to SNCO rank) and natural wastage

    Many people do not see themselves as ever transferring and its fair to say many commanders dont encourage it but if you are stale where you are ( I did it twice now and both times was a huge change, some was positive, some was negative, but I'd never go back )
    Quote Originally Posted by odin
    I think we are going to need to adopt a PDF like attitude to promotions soon. Panels and points based on effectiveness, KPIs, Courses completed, Courses/time as an instructor etc. It will not work in all locations, like if you are going to a CS/CQ promotion board while living in Dublin and the available vacancy is in Kerry.
    It won’t be an option for a huge amount of people.

    IMHO due to the nature of the RDF panels (like PDF now have) aren’t an option, it would end up like the reorg (people apply for Cork and get Donegal. The best option is to advertise vacancies as they occur (and make the criteria/areas assessed in line with what you suggest).





    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    These are still a thing?
    yes

  4. #28
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    9,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    adopt a PDF like attitude to promotions soon. Panels and points based on effectiveness, KPIs, Courses completed, Courses/time
    Already applies for competitive officer promotions, its 85/90% on 451s, 108s , file and courses , 10% on interview.

    667s are not required to be completed for RDF NCOs which is appalling
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  5. Thanks ODIN thanked for this post
    Likes ODIN liked this post
  6. #29
    Major General ODIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    It won’t be an option for a huge amount of people.

    IMHO due to the nature of the RDF panels (like PDF now have) aren’t an option, it would end up like the reorg (people apply for Cork and get Donegal. The best option is to advertise vacancies as they occur (and make the criteria/areas assessed in line with what you suggest).
    It would be feasible in Cities and Counties that have more that one unit or Corps. Some units will be within an acceptable distance, Ennis and Limerick, Mallow to Cork, Kilkenny and Dublin to the Curragh etc. I am not for a second suggesting Donegal to Cork as an option, but it might work on a regional basis.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

  7. #30
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    9,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can advertise nationwide for a post to be filled competitively "Successful applicants MUST be able to parade in Cathal Brugha Bks on a regular basis, min 3 parades + 1 weekend per month"

    It is up to the applicants to decide whether to put themselves up for it.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  8. Likes DeV, ODIN, hptmurphy liked this post
  9. #31
    Private 2*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or do as they do for the RDF officer competitions and put a distance limit on it. "Candidates must live within 100km of the unit where the vacancy exists" etc

  10. #32
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    It would be feasible in Cities and Counties that have more that one unit or Corps. Some units will be within an acceptable distance, Ennis and Limerick, Mallow to Cork, Kilkenny and Dublin to the Curragh etc. I am not for a second suggesting Donegal to Cork as an option, but it might work on a regional basis.
    Yes but not for all. Not everyone drives. You could have someone might live in Ennis, work in Galway and be posted into Limerick.

    My all know the organisation well enough to know exactly what would happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    You can advertise nationwide for a post to be filled competitively "Successful applicants MUST be able to parade in Cathal Brugha Bks on a regular basis, min 3 parades + 1 weekend per month"

    It is up to the applicants to decide whether to put themselves up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    Or do as they do for the RDF officer competitions and put a distance limit on it. "Candidates must live within 100km of the unit where the vacancy exists" etc
    Which isn’t fool proof either!

    Should be worded as trellheim suggests

  11. #33
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    9,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    there is a bit of need for both, if the boss calls an urgent parade and your 200km away, doesn't happen often though.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  12. #34
    Private 2*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    there is a bit of need for both, if the boss calls an urgent parade and your 200km away, doesn't happen often though.
    Then you get the senior staff officer in a brigade that lives about 2 hours away from the Bde HQ if not more.

  13. #35
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Already applies for competitive officer promotions, its 85/90% on 451s, 108s , file and courses , 10% on interview.

    667s are not required to be completed for RDF NCOs which is appalling
    I've had a 667 annually since the re org. Granted, easier for my Sunray to do this!
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  14. #36
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    9,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a 667 annually since the re org. Granted, easier for my Sunray to do this!
    You are the exception. Ask around.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  15. Likes DeV, Truck Driver liked this post
  16. #37
    Private 2*
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    I've had a 667 annually since the re org. Granted, easier for my Sunray to do this!
    And where have they gone? There is no regulatory provision for you to get one. There is no provision for them to be retained. There is no AF667 (RDF). There is an AF451 (RDF) which is retained in COMO

  17. #38
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    I'd like to address a couple of these points

    a) a Sgt is not a senior NCO = CS/CQ/BSM/BQ
    Wasn't a mistake. It's gotten that bad in terms of foot-dragging (some of it by tea-drinkers).

    b) there are tons of corporal vacancies, just not in your unit or sub-unit
    Of less than zero interest to any of us. People have made considerable sacrifices to make it to the new location over the past five or so years, but that day is clearly about done.

    c) there has been some level of agreement that the next rounds of induction will apply to join a unit rather than a location ( see RDFRA last newsletter )
    I'll believe when I see it. Meanwhile, we're toast, following in the steps of a sister sub-unit.

    Many people do not see themselves as ever transferring and its fair to say many commanders dont encourage it but if you are stale where you are ( I did it twice now and both times was a huge change, some was positive, some was negative, but I'd never go back )
    This isn't my first Unit, Corps or even army no. And while I endorse the need to keep a positive mental attitude in front of the troops, the reality is that the RDF is nearly dead.

  18. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes The real Jack liked this post
    Dislikes DeV disliked this post
  19. #39
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the POV of a RDF private, just before the reorg and for two years into it there were a number of excellent courses that were advertised to all ranks in our unit, but you had to be corporal rank or above to join them. At the time, getting onto a POTS course was pretty difficult because of the number of privates in the unit, and especially so after the reorg as a number of units combined and competition increased for the 1 or 2 places.
    After the reorg there were two courses opened to privates advertised as far as I remember, but two things happened; the fitness test was a requirement for them and if you applied, the NCOs were in the line for the course before the privates. I see the last course that was circulated to us doesn't appear to require a fitness test, which is a welcome development for a non-physical course.
    Maintaining motivation to do the same thing every year, was certainly a large factor in leaving for many experienced privates I knew.

  20. #40
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    Then you get the senior staff officer in a brigade that lives about 2 hours away from the Bde HQ if not more.
    More I'd say!
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  21. #41
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim
    c) there has been some level of agreement that the next rounds of induction will apply to join a unit rather than a location ( see RDFRA last newsletter )
    This was torpedoed in Dublin just before Xmas.... won't go into details on open board
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •