No announcement yet.

Establishment versus reality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historically most would have one. Unless the University modules are slowing down the point of acquisition. Any seaman S/Lieut appointed to a ship will have the required Cert.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
      Historically most would have one. Unless the University modules are slowing down the point of acquisition. Any seaman S/Lieut appointed to a ship will have the required Cert.
      2-3 years as a S/Lt before NWC is awarded

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Do they still send young officers to do irrelevant university courses after qualification? I know of one who did geology, a great source of mirth to his mates, who said at least now he'd know all about the type of rock he would run aground on.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
          Do they still send young officers to do irrelevant university courses after qualification? I know of one who did geology, a great source of mirth to his mates, who said at least now he'd know all about the type of rock he would run aground on.
          Afaik not in the NS because they have to go to NMCI

Comment

In answer to the question if the reservists could deploy to the med for 3 months - did anyone ask them ? If I had to plan it out a year in advance I probably could.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Many frontline services , including the BA, use reservists in combat units. If reservists are NOT a functional reserve then disband such forces and
              institute a 3year lottery conscription.
              Indeed they do......and if reservists had been given the proper supports back in 2005 around the Re Org of the RDF with employment legislation changes it might have happned. I'm unsure of the current effectiveness of the NSR but using them as cheap labour to back fill vacancies is never going to be a long term solution.

Conscription..in Ireland........em...no.....the looney left loose the plot when the yanks pull into shannon for a smoke....conscription.... you really want to kill them off!

was a Lieut. watchkeeper and there were NO S/Lieut watchkeepers until a class of 4 Cadets came through, and eventually they became Lieuts in due time. In the Naval Service qualified watchkeepers can be of either rank as it is not specifically only a Sub's job.
              Some of Eithnes Watchkeepers were Lts.. but they didn't need to be....we should never have a time where we have more Lts. than we have S/Lts. thats just a poor manpower managment issue.

In answer to the question if the reservists could deploy to the med for 3 months - did anyone ask them ? If I had to plan it out a year in advance I probably could.
              Interesting question, but I reckon the key appointments are not a problem to fill. Missions like these tend to be career moves and not to be available is a black mark so if you look at the actual vacancies, appointments will be thin on the ground.

Since when?????

Would be rare to have a S/Lt that hadn't sat his watch keepers withing 6 months of being promoted. Remember as Ensigns they are understudies and learning on the job.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Do graduates who join the NS as cadets not get commissioned as Sub Lt now, similar to their Army counterparts?

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  Since when?????

Would be rare to have a S/Lt that hadn't sat his watch keepers withing 6 months of being promoted. Remember as Ensigns they are understudies and learning on the job.
                  The cadetship is now 2 years (Cadet training for 1 year and 1st year of the Level 7 degree in NMCI).

On completion of their 1st year exams they are commissioned as an Ensign or S/Lt (if they already hold a degree). That is the start of a 3 year short service commission.

They then do 2nd year of the level 7 and then the add on 1 year of the level 8 degree (as a Ensign or S/Lt).

On completion of the degree they do the 6 month Naval Watchkeeping Cse (maybe they do this between the level 7 and level 8 http://www.cit.ie/course/CRSNASC8)

That is from a mixture of the DF, NMCI and CIT websites.
                  Last edited by DeV; 25 January 2018, 16:45.

Comment

Interesting question, but I reckon the key appointments are not a problem to fill. Missions like these tend to be career moves and not to be available is a black mark so if you look at the actual vacancies, appointments will be thin on the ground.
                    yes lol fair point but it doesnt have to be Sophia either but I take your point, same thing in the Army, I'll not be a platoon commander in UNDOF.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Afaik not in the NS because they have to go to NMCI
                      When they had to go to CIT they still had to go to another 3rd level after. Many went to UCG.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                        When they had to go to CIT they still had to go to another 3rd level after. Many went to UCG.
                        I assume that stopped with NMCI?

Comment

I assume that stopped with NMCI?
                          That is what I am asking. If someone does not have an existing 3rd level qualification, do they have to get one, in addition to either their engineering or deck officer qualification?

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                            Do graduates who join the NS as cadets not get commissioned as Sub Lt now, similar to their Army counterparts?
                            They do...

On completion of the degree they do the 6 month Naval Watchkeeping Cse (maybe they do this between the level 7 and level 8 http://www.cit.ie/course/CRSNASC8)
                            Which they can only do as S/Lts....so back to my point watchkeepers within two years of commissioning ...not from promotion to S/Lt assuming they were commissioned as Ensigns....

yes lol fair point but it doesnt have to be Sophia either but I take your point, same thing in the Army, I'll not be a platoon commander in UNDOF.
                            I was generalising around Naval missions, army missions for junior officers are probably similar...and there is that little thing about not having done overseas trips and how it effects contracts!
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              Which they can only do as S/Lts....so back to my point watchkeepers within two years of commissioning ...not from promotion to S/Lt assuming they were commissioned as Ensigns....!
                              What they can only do as S/Lts?

You will notice of course that Ensigns aren’t included in the figures (same as army 2/Lts) for strength purposes Ensign (2/Lt) and S/Lt (Lt) are the same rank.

The question is do they do the NWC before the level 8 or after?
                              Last edited by DeV; 25 January 2018, 22:41.

Comment

What they can only do as S/Lts?

You will notice of course that Ensigns aren’t included in the figures (same as army 2/Lts) for strength purposes Ensign (2/Lt) and S/Lt (Lt) are the same rank.

The question is do they do the NWC before the level 8 or after?
                                The development of all Naval training has seen aspects of all mil courses assimilated as part of a cert or degree course. In this case the NWC is the final part of been awarded a Hons Level 8 Degree. The answer is more or less at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X