Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like

Dual citizen interested in cadetship

Hello,

I am a dual Irish-American citizen who is interested in applying for cadetship in the defence forces. I grew up in the United States my whole life but I have always been drawn to the Irish Military due to their role in UN peacekeeping. My question was whether anyone had an experience with an Irish defence forces member who was also raised outside of Ireland? I am still a year away from applying to the next competition as I will be completing a masters degree but am fairly dead set on pursuing a career as an officer in the defence forces.I would really appreciate any insight on experiences with foreign born servicemen as I know it is a unique situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello.

have a read of this document from 2016

http://www.military.ie/fileadmin/use..._Comp_2016.pdf

pay attention to this section:

A candidate for a Cadetship must:
    a. At the time of application:
    (1) be a citizen of Ireland; or,
    (2) be a refugee as defined under either the Refugee Act 1996 or the
    International Protection Act 2015; or, be a national of an European
    Economic Area State1
    or the Swiss Confederation; or,
    (3) be a national of any other State who is lawfully present in Ireland
    and has five (5) years lawful residence here2
    b. Satisfy the Minister for Defence as to character,
    c. Be 18 years of age or above and under 28 years of age on the closing date
    for receipt of applications, which for the 2016 competition is 17 April 2016
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the response! My question was not regarding whether or not I am eligible as I am a citizen of Ireland. It was more in regard to whether or not there were any other people in the thread who are in a similar situation as me in that they were not brought up in Ireland but are in the defence forces. In any case I appreciate the link!

Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your response. My question was not in regards to eligibility as I am a citizen of Ireland it was just seeking out whether or not there is anyone else in this forum who was brought up outside of Ireland and is currently in the defence forces.

Post Thanks / Like
    are you currently resident in Ireland?

Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I go to college in the United States but will be most likely completing my masters in Ireland so will be moving there shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I go to college in the United States but will be most likely completing my masters in Ireland so will be moving there shortly.
    Ok, just going straight into Irish society (being the Cadet School (and DF)) could be a bit of a culture shock

For the last number of years the Cadet School have been training Maltese cadets but they are only here for 15 months

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe you'll be able to join any army with dual citizenship, the Israelis might be ok with it but they'd be the only ones.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was already in contact with the recruitment services as long as I'm a citizen of Ireland it is deemed ok.

10. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I never heard that before. I actually did more research after posting this and saw that a Scottish soldier decided to join the Irish military due to her desire to pursue peacekeeping as well implying that it has been done before. I did move to France when I was 10 and lived there for an extensive period of time so I do have experience of culture shock haha. My parents also live in Cork currently so I have been able to experience Ireland enough to know that I would be perfectly ok living there. That said, I do understand that it might be a challenge leading people as an officer in a military where I would obviously stand out. Here is the link talking about the Scottish cadet who I would presume is still serving as she was part of a recent class. http://www.thejournal.ie/defence-for...74058-Jan2016/ I also really appreciate the insight!

12. Thanks restless thanked for this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    I don't believe you'll be able to join any army with dual citizenship, the Israelis might be ok with it but they'd be the only ones.
    There are no restrictions on having citizenship elsewhere. You are never asked if you have other citizenship other than Irish. The criteria that must be satisfied in terms of citizenship is spelled out in post #2 above

Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    Also here is a link I found to be cool that I just sent to DeV on a Scottish soldier with no apparent link to Ireland. It helped soothe some of my fears about the prospect of being a "different" cadet haha.

Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your response. My question was not in regards to eligibility as I am a citizen of Ireland it was just seeking out whether or not there is anyone else in this forum who was brought up outside of Ireland and is currently in the defence forces.
    Just realized I repeated myself sorry about that lol!

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also here is a link I found to be cool that I just sent to DeV on a Scottish soldier with no apparent link to Ireland. It helped soothe some of my fears about the prospect of being a "different" cadet haha.
    You would be different and if you are worried about being different then maybe you need to rethink your decision. That being said the current classes are so big it would be easy to hide

17. Likes DeV liked this post
    Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    You would be different and if you are worried about being different then maybe you need to rethink your decision. That being said the current classes are so big it would be easy to hide
    Haha very true. I'm not too concerned about being different I just understand my situation is unique and is looked upon in variety of ways so was just trying to ask if anyone else was in a similar situation as me. That said if I am successful in obtaining cadetship and eventually commission I know I'll be dealing with the question "why didn't you just join the American military?" the rest of my career lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not specific to the Army but I have a few Irish-American friends who have moved to Ireland for different reasons, college, work etc. For most of them, it has been a massive culture shock and most of their pre-conceptions have been shattered. Saying that, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

The big thing most of them said is that they are treated like outsiders and foreigners. This continues until they adapt to the culture. While this may be an obvious thing, they generally said that they had no idea how difficult it would be. Not trying to be stereotypical but the Irish tendency for self-depreciation is the exact opposite of the ostentatious American.

Specific to the army, the humour - you really need to get Irish humour before you think of joining the army. While the DFTC and Cadet school are fairly humourless institutions, you will need to fit in.

20. Likes na grohmiti liked this post
    Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poiuyt View Post
    Not specific to the Army but I have a few Irish-American friends who have moved to Ireland for different reasons, college, work etc. For most of them, it has been a massive culture shock and most of their pre-conceptions have been shattered. Saying that, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

The big thing most of them said is that they are treated like outsiders and foreigners. This continues until they adapt to the culture. While this may be an obvious thing, they generally said that they had no idea how difficult it would be. Not trying to be stereotypical but the Irish tendency for self-depreciation is the exact opposite of the ostentatious American.

Specific to the army, the humour - you really need to get Irish humour before you think of joining the army. While the DFTC and Cadet school are fairly humourless institutions, you will need to fit in.
    Fair point and I can see why Americans may have that experience. That said, in terms of Irish culture outside of the military I will be quite comfortable as my family is from Ireland and actually have lived in Cork during the past 4 summers since my family moved back to Ireland once I made it to college. I have no doubt there will be challenges being an American but those challenges aren't large enough for me to be deterred from pursuing the Irish military. I'll definitely work on my humor like you recommended though haha ????

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Robert, one thing to bear in mind might be the fact that drill orders are delivered in Irish in the DF. Given your links to the country, it might not be a bad idea to source an information sheet with all the orders written on them in both English and Irish (as well as with phonetic pronunciation included, if possible). Most Irish people don't speak Irish particularly well but the sounds of the language are familiar to them. I was given such a sheet when undertaking recruit training so maybe someone here who still has this could forward it to you?

All the best with your application.

23. Likes DeV liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are many soldiers born and raised in other countries currently serving. In my own unit, there are a few English, Polish, a South African and other Eastern Europeans. I know several others serving in other units.
    You shouldn't have any problems.

25. Likes DeV liked this post
    Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodview View Post
    Robert, one thing to bear in mind might be the fact that drill orders are delivered in Irish in the DF. Given your links to the country, it might not be a bad idea to source an information sheet with all the orders written on them in both English and Irish (as well as with phonetic pronunciation included, if possible). Most Irish people don't speak Irish particularly well but the sounds of the language are familiar to them. I was given such a sheet when undertaking recruit training so maybe someone here who still has this could forward it to you?

I would really appreciate that! If there is anyone willing to forward that would be of great help. My cousin is actually a professor in Irish and Celtic languages so I could run through with him if I'm saying it right haha. I also appreciate the good wishes the cadet commissioning today has got me excited even though I'm still around year and a half away from applying!

Pioneer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    There are many soldiers born and raised in other countries currently serving. In my own unit, there are a few English, Polish, a South African and other Eastern Europeans. I know several others serving in other units.
    You shouldn't have any problems.
    thank you for the reply this is very reassuring!

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodview View Post

Maltese cadets have survived orders in Irish since 2009.

29. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And before them, Zambian cadets

31. Likes DeV liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are worse culture shocks... An Irishman I know going to the US in the 1930s and getting drafted, another going to South Africa in the 1980s and getting drafted.. Into a war.
    Or any poor sod who joins the foreign legion and gets all commands in French and two chances to get it right.

You'll be grand. If you get through the interview!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by expat01 View Post
    There are worse culture shocks... An Irishman I know going to the US in the 1930s and getting drafted, another going to South Africa in the 1980s and getting drafted.. Into a war.
    I heard of another Irishman who was born in the US, returned to Ireland, joined the Irish Volunteers in 1913, had to go on the run in 1916, fought and was wounded in the War of Independence, fought in the Civil War, survived everything only to be arrested when he returned to the US in 1932. His crime was draft dodging in 1918. He was eventually let go when he explained that his didn't get his draft notice until 1923...when he finally got back to his home place after 7 years of fighting and running.

His participation in the Easter Rising is another interesting story but one that shows the chaos of the time.
    Last edited by Poiuyt; 7th February 2018 at 18:10.

Thread Information