No announcement yet.

Dual citizen interested in cadetship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not specific to the Army but I have a few Irish-American friends who have moved to Ireland for different reasons, college, work etc. For most of them, it has been a massive culture shock and most of their pre-conceptions have been shattered. Saying that, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

The big thing most of them said is that they are treated like outsiders and foreigners. This continues until they adapt to the culture. While this may be an obvious thing, they generally said that they had no idea how difficult it would be. Not trying to be stereotypical but the Irish tendency for self-depreciation is the exact opposite of the ostentatious American.

Specific to the army, the humour - you really need to get Irish humour before you think of joining the army. While the DFTC and Cadet school are fairly humourless institutions, you will need to fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
      Not specific to the Army but I have a few Irish-American friends who have moved to Ireland for different reasons, college, work etc. For most of them, it has been a massive culture shock and most of their pre-conceptions have been shattered. Saying that, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

The big thing most of them said is that they are treated like outsiders and foreigners. This continues until they adapt to the culture. While this may be an obvious thing, they generally said that they had no idea how difficult it would be. Not trying to be stereotypical but the Irish tendency for self-depreciation is the exact opposite of the ostentatious American.

Specific to the army, the humour - you really need to get Irish humour before you think of joining the army. While the DFTC and Cadet school are fairly humourless institutions, you will need to fit in.
      Fair point and I can see why Americans may have that experience. That said, in terms of Irish culture outside of the military I will be quite comfortable as my family is from Ireland and actually have lived in Cork during the past 4 summers since my family moved back to Ireland once I made it to college. I have no doubt there will be challenges being an American but those challenges aren't large enough for me to be deterred from pursuing the Irish military. I'll definitely work on my humor like you recommended though haha ????

Comment

Robert, one thing to bear in mind might be the fact that drill orders are delivered in Irish in the DF. Given your links to the country, it might not be a bad idea to source an information sheet with all the orders written on them in both English and Irish (as well as with phonetic pronunciation included, if possible). Most Irish people don't speak Irish particularly well but the sounds of the language are familiar to them. I was given such a sheet when undertaking recruit training so maybe someone here who still has this could forward it to you?

All the best with your application.

Comment

There are many soldiers born and raised in other countries currently serving. In my own unit, there are a few English, Polish, a South African and other Eastern Europeans. I know several others serving in other units.
          You shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodview View Post
            Robert, one thing to bear in mind might be the fact that drill orders are delivered in Irish in the DF. Given your links to the country, it might not be a bad idea to source an information sheet with all the orders written on them in both English and Irish (as well as with phonetic pronunciation included, if possible). Most Irish people don't speak Irish particularly well but the sounds of the language are familiar to them. I was given such a sheet when undertaking recruit training so maybe someone here who still has this could forward it to you?

I would really appreciate that! If there is anyone willing to forward that would be of great help. My cousin is actually a professor in Irish and Celtic languages so I could run through with him if I'm saying it right haha. I also appreciate the good wishes the cadet commissioning today has got me excited even though I'm still around year and a half away from applying!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
              There are many soldiers born and raised in other countries currently serving. In my own unit, there are a few English, Polish, a South African and other Eastern Europeans. I know several others serving in other units.
              You shouldn't have any problems.
              thank you for the reply this is very reassuring!

Comment

Originally posted by Woodview View Post

Maltese cadets have survived orders in Irish since 2009.

Comment

And before them, Zambian cadets

Comment

There are worse culture shocks... An Irishman I know going to the US in the 1930s and getting drafted, another going to South Africa in the 1980s and getting drafted.. Into a war.
                    Or any poor sod who joins the foreign legion and gets all commands in French and two chances to get it right.

You'll be grand. If you get through the interview!

Comment

Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                      There are worse culture shocks... An Irishman I know going to the US in the 1930s and getting drafted, another going to South Africa in the 1980s and getting drafted.. Into a war.
                      I heard of another Irishman who was born in the US, returned to Ireland, joined the Irish Volunteers in 1913, had to go on the run in 1916, fought and was wounded in the War of Independence, fought in the Civil War, survived everything only to be arrested when he returned to the US in 1932. His crime was draft dodging in 1918. He was eventually let go when he explained that his didn't get his draft notice until 1923...when he finally got back to his home place after 7 years of fighting and running.

His participation in the Easter Rising is another interesting story but one that shows the chaos of the time.
                      Last edited by Poiuyt; 7 February 2018, 19:10.

Comment

WE have a Scot and a Brit, both now LT's in their respective units. Come over and I'll keep an eye for you in the DFTC.

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                          WE have a Scot and a Brit, both now LT's in their respective units. Come over and I'll keep an eye for you in the DFTC.
                          Yeah I read a small article on the scot and her story! I got a bit over a year until I apply as I'll be completing a masters degree in either forensic psychology or counter terrorism/international security (just sent in my school apps) then I'll fill out my cadet application the second they become available! If we do cross paths in the future I won't be hard to miss I'll be the tall ginger with an American accent haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Yeah I read a small article on the scot and her story! I got a bit over a year until I apply as I'll be completing a masters degree in either forensic psychology or counter terrorism/international security (just sent in my school apps) then I'll fill out my cadet application the second they become available! If we do cross paths in the future I won't be hard to miss I'll be the tall ginger with an American accent haha.
                            Best of luck.. Both of those degrees have huge importance in the Army.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Cadetships are usually advertised around February with annual intakes happening circa October. There will be a number of stages that you will be required to present for, often with only a week or 2 of notice. Be sure that you are in a position to present where and when directed. Competitions Section will be flexible enough as far as they can but you must present at all stages that they require. It will require more than 1 trip to Ireland with no guarantee of success

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
                                Cadetships are usually advertised around February with annual intakes happening circa October. There will be a number of stages that you will be required to present for, often with only a week or 2 of notice. Be sure that you are in a position to present where and when directed. Competitions Section will be flexible enough as far as they can but you must present at all stages that they require. It will require more than 1 trip to Ireland with no guarantee of success
                                And don’t expect expenses

Comment

Working...
                                X