Process of Joining the RDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process of Joining the RDF

Evening all, I was on the phone to a guy in Aiken Barracks the other day and was asking about doing work experience with the DF, after finding out that theres no opportunity for uni students to do anything I asked if the RDF would be recruiting soon and he said there should be a competition around march. IF this is the case I was wondering how long I could expect to wait between applying and (hopefully) joining the unit. Also, I'm doing International Politics and Conflict studies at QUB and was wondering would this degree be a valuable one when applying for a cadetship (Post graduation)
    Thanks

Welcome to IMO

What kind of work experience are you looking for?

The RDF joining process probably takes a number of months

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Welcome to IMO

What kind of work experience are you looking for?

The RDF joining process probably takes a number of months
      Well, I had heard about a "work experience" scheme being offered but when I asked the guy he said it was only for TY students, If it were possible I'd just like the opportunity to visit the barracks and just get some kind of experience. Thanks, for the info, I'm just worried because one of my friends has been waiting two years now on a place in a PDF platoon and was worried I'd be graduated before I get a chance to join

Comment

The work experience on offer is basically a week long intoduction to the military aimed at TY students. It is non-residential. It does not involve a whole lot but covers things like military history and the different corps.

There is no actual experience of being a soldier involved ... except maybe surviving a week of death by powerpoint.

There is an RDF recruitment campaign starting in a few weeks. Consider applying for it. Modern RDF training (particularly during full time training, maybe 2 weeks as a recruit plus some non full time at weekends/ evenings) is about as close to experiencing PDF training without actually joining the PDF.

As for your QUB degree being of any use, not unless you become an officer in the PDF and fill one of the Comdt appointments in SPB or perhaps as an instructor in UNTSI but you are looking at 10 - 20 years down the line at those.

That being said, credit is given for any degree when applying for a cadetship
        Last edited by Fantasia; 27 February 2018, 11:08.

Comment

Have a look at UNTSI or maybe Dept of Foreign Affairs

Comment

Thanks, great info! (I still haven't figured out how to actually thank a post...) What's SPB? That's the plan, apply and spend time in the RDF and then apply for a cadetship after graduating. With regards to fitness levels and things like that exactly how fit do you need to be? As it stands I'm running 5k in 22/23min but want to get it below 20. When I go home at the weekends I usually go for walks up the mountain with about 14kg in the pack and as naff as it sounds I do a lot of Airsoft with uni, especially milsims. But I still sort of worry at the back of my head about the demands of fitness in it?

Comment

Originally posted by BorderBandit View Post
              Thanks, great info! (I still haven't figured out how to actually thank a post...) What's SPB? That's the plan, apply and spend time in the RDF and then apply for a cadetship after graduating. With regards to fitness levels and things like that exactly how fit do you need to be? As it stands I'm running 5k in 22/23min but want to get it below 20. When I go home at the weekends I usually go for walks up the mountain with about 14kg in the pack and as naff as it sounds I do a lot of Airsoft with uni, especially milsims. But I still sort of worry at the back of my head about the demands of fitness in it?
              SPB - Strategic Plans Branch

I’d try UNTSI, DoD, Irish Aid, Department of Foreign Affairs

Fitness

Airsoft rolleyes

Comment

That's a pretty good PDF for the fitness, thanks Dev.

Comment

SPB - Strategic Plans Branch

I’d try UNTSI, DoD, Irish Aid, Department of Foreign Affairs

Fitness

Airsoft rolleyes
                  You cannot "try UNTSI". The most junior instructor appointment in UNTSI is a Captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
                    You cannot "try UNTSI". The most junior instructor appointment in UNTSI is a Captain.
                    We are talking about work experience.

I know of at least 1 private who did work experience in UNTSI (different situation but we aren’t talking about instructors.

Incorrect, there is an Sgt (A.R.) instructor’s appointment

Comment

Incorrect, there is an Sgt (A.R.) instructor’s appointment
                      .... and the position is being very capably filled
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

UPDATE: Applied for the RDF competition the other night so now it's a case of waiting I suppose. Does anyone have any advice for the induction process, interview and ect. Also with regards to the medical, the only outstanding medical issues I have are hayfever and an allergy to perfumed washes and ect. Would either of these leave me as not eligible for service in the RDF and eventually PDF given that I have treatments for both easily at hand?

Comment

Just had my Garda background check come back in less than a week! They've improved the turnaround hugely!

Medical and background check completed only a week after a fitness test is a bit of a revelation!

Comment

Just had my Garda background check come back in less than a week! They've improved the turnaround hugely!

Medical and background check completed only a week after a fitness test is a bit of a revelation!
                            Wut . Is it interviews next ?
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              Wut . Is it interviews next ?
                              Interview done and passed. Essentially it's just the drug test and bloods to come back clean. Have the dates for recruit training and all. It's actually given me a very positive outlook on the RDF. I must say that I had an assumption that I'd be fecked around for six months with all the stages mentioned above happening at random and last minute intervals.

Maybe I'm being naive but looking forward to recruit training now!

Comment

Working...
                              X