Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army Reserve or Naval Service Reserve? Older potential recruit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Reserve or Naval Service Reserve? Older potential recruit.

I've been here before discussing joining the RDF before and being honest I didn't make the last recruitment drive due to fitness. I've worked on that and will be fighting fit for the next competition.

I'm trying to decide whether to join either the AR or the NSR as both will be available at my location. Both appeal to me but I definitely have more interest in the NSR.

I've done as much research as I can and my circumstances are that I'm 33, looking at a family relatively soon and am in a good job where I get enough leave to dedicate every year to allow 2-3 weeks FTT. I certainly think I can balance the above commitments with reserve service like most other RDF members.

I only want to join either reserve if I can make a valuable contribution though. The last thing I want is to be chocolate teapot in uniform. My primary worry about the NSR is that to be useful I would need to be available to go on patrols. Would I be right in assuming that I would need time available for 2 weeks FTT a year as well as 2-3 weeks for going on patrol or would you usually do either or? I also understand that these patrols of course are not planned around a reservists leave schedule!

I wouldn't be in the position that a college student may have where they can agree to go on a patrol at short notice to fill a gap on ship as that's just not something my job could accommodate without weeks/months notice. Do NSR members get to plan a patrol they are going on well in advance or is it very much adhoc. I just don't want to join the NSR and not be ever able to get to AS as I can never plan to get on a patrol which would be frustrating for all involved!

If the NSR is requires more flexibility than I can give, I would certainly join the AR and think I'd enjoy this just as much and could contribute. I'm assuming that FTT training is planned in the AR months in advance so as that members can organise the few weeks leave?

Sorry for the long mail and I know I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse a bit but I'm just trying to work out where to send my application so I contribute to the best of my ability!

My advice would be to get in to talk to NSR, make an informed decision. If that doesn’t suit go AR

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      My advice would be to get in to talk to NSR, make an informed decision. If that doesn’t suit go AR
      I have a contact in the AR at the location so I am good from that perspective.

I have tried to contact the NSR unti previously (Limerick) and have had difficulty contacting anyone on phone or otherwise. I also wouldn't be able to get access to Sarsfield as I'm a civilian. This was raised as an issue with visiting the unit before. I'd love to go in for a chat with the unit but doesn't seem possible. Hoping to get some detail here as my only alternative.

Comment

My initial recommendation is to submit your application for both so the process can start. This will also open up lines of communication, as far as I know each unit should have a liaison officer for you to talk to. As the recruiting process takes some time you can use this to find out as much as possible to help you make the decision. If you wait until you have all the information before making a decision the deadline for applying will probably have closed.

In relation to the questions you posed as far as I know you don't have to do both 2 weeks FTT and 2-3 weeks afloat. The first couple of years will probably be recruit and other courses anyway. BUT I am not in the NSR.

Comment

That possibly makes sense. I'll try and push hard for a visit on a parade night to both units. No substitute for that.

Still though, I'm open to whatever information an NSR member is able to provide - especially Limerick. I'm eager for information on what I could potentially be in for!

Comment

Actually B20 makes a good point apply for both and both Recruit Liaison Officers should be in touch with you.

In NSR some of the courses that you must do can only be done at Haulbowline/Cork and AFAIK you must complete patrols at sea in order to progress from OS to AS

Comment

I'll certainly try and get a visit in. Being honest, I have no issue travelling to Haulbowline regularly and going on patrols. It's the forward planning for when patrols are to take place which will be source of most of my questions. I guess the unit can help if I can get in contact. Anyone from Limerick unit NSR, feel free to PM!

At the risk of identifying myself I actually completed some of the said courses previously during a past encounter with the Navy and Haulbowline.

Comment

The NSR is pretty flexible and will accommodate you as much as possible, if you can give 2 weeks per year then that would be great, a couple of years ago I would have said stay away from the NSR as we were in big trouble floundering with little NS direction. There has been a major change in the NS attitude recently and the NSR is getting back to where we were pre reorg.
                Lots of positive things happening, getting in is long and drawn out but stick with it.
                All courses are held in the NMCI or Naval College, training at unit level is a mixture of weapons training and seamanship, weekends are afloat in RIBs or motor launches.
                Right now the NSR are in New York for the parade tomorrow.
                Give it a go if it doesn't work out what have you to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post
                  The NSR is pretty flexible and will accommodate you as much as possible, if you can give 2 weeks per year then that would be great, a couple of years ago I would have said stay away from the NSR as we were in big trouble floundering with little NS direction. There has been a major change in the NS attitude recently and the NSR is getting back to where we were pre reorg.
                  Lots of positive things happening, getting in is long and drawn out but stick with it.
                  All courses are held in the NMCI or Naval College, training at unit level is a mixture of weapons training and seamanship, weekends are afloat in RIBs or motor launches.
                  Right now the NSR are in New York for the parade tomorrow.
                  Give it a go if it doesn't work out what have you to lose.
                  I'm certainly going to give it a go. It sounds like things are definitely moving in a positive direction. Nothing to lose on my side either.

I've heard noises that there might be a push to speed up the recruitment process so God knows, maybe that will come to fruition too. Looking forward to the challenge anyway.

The Limerick units certainly seems to have maintained a relatively high profile over the last few years which to me is also a great sign.

Comment

Actually, one other question if anyone has an answer. Have any NSR travelled to the Med as part of the reaction to the migrant crisis?

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                      Actually, one other question if anyone has an answer. Have any NSR travelled to the Med as part of the reaction to the migrant crisis?
                      AFAIK no, although a Spanish speaking NSR LS did go to South America a few years ago

Comment

AFAIK no, although a Spanish speaking NSR LS did go to South America a few years ago
                        That was a "jolly" rather than an overseas operation.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I'm assuming NSR can't go overseas on operations like the rest of RDF then? I guess the operations in the Med count.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                            I'm assuming NSR can't go overseas on operations like the rest of RDF then? I guess the operations in the Med count.
                            When called out on permanent service (requires the Minister’s signature), only employed on a State ship they can be employed outside the territorial seas

Comment

When called out on permanent service (requires the Minister’s signature), only employed on a State ship they can be employed outside the territorial seas
                              Pretty exceptional circumstances for that then I'd say. No signature for a junket to South America?

Comment

Working...
                              X