Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the IAC ever mount free fall or guided bombs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the IAC ever mount free fall or guided bombs?

Did we ever mount free fall dumb / guided bombs on any of our previous aircraft? Assume almost a total no when it comes to guided anyway! When was the last time we wouldve trained in their operation and on what ranges would they have been used?

Slovenia employes free fall bombs on their PC9's ... would it require much engineering / modification to our aircraft to fit them for this purpose - or can we purchase off the shelf fittings for the aircraft if necessary?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

The Marchettis, Cessnas, Fougas and PC9 could/do carry unguided rockets (and in some cases fixed/podded MGs), not bombs.

So you’d have to go back before that.

The PC9s probably could be but it may require would on the plyons and/or software & sights

Comment

Spitfire Trainers and Avro Anson carried bombs, the rest seem to use rockets.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        ...The PC9s probably could be but it may require would on the plyons and/or software & sights
        they might require a different Pilatus pylon (though i doubt it..), but the hardpoints are ready for both the pylons and the weight of the ordnance - as well as having the plumbing for anything guided.

the software and sights should also be ready - unless you paid Pilatus extra to delete the ballistic bombing software when you bought them.

i wouldn't be that surprised if you could fit one of the off-the-shelf laser targeting pods and its in-cockpit equipment, a Paveway, and have it all up and running in a matter of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
          they might require a different Pilatus pylon (though i doubt it..), but the hardpoints are ready for both the pylons and the weight of the ordnance - as well as having the plumbing for anything guided.

the software and sights should also be ready - unless you paid Pilatus extra to delete the ballistic bombing software when you bought them.

i wouldn't be that surprised if you could fit one of the off-the-shelf laser targeting pods and its in-cockpit equipment, a Paveway, and have it all up and running in a matter of hours.
          I don’t know but the Swiss don’t like selling military equipment (even though they sell plenty)

Comment

I seem to recall that the Hardpoints and HUD were aftermarket additions from Belgium?

Comment

There is a famous photo of the Hudson being bombed up in the Emergency for a training flight and some of the bombs were concrete dummies. It could carry about eight bombs at once and was probably the most heavily armed AC aircraft until the PC-9s came along. The Anson could carry light bombs like the British 20 lb type......the Marchetti could carry up to a 110 lb bomb on it's pylons and there was a ground adjustable switch on the side of the pylon to set it to "bomb"...or rocket or gunpod, as required and this had to be checked as part of the preflight drill with external stores. The Rhodesians made a wide variety of bombs for the Marchetti, including napalm (a fibreglass tank known as a FranTan), cluster bombs and a bouncing type called "Golfball". Bomb aiming was via the standard reflector sight, ie, nine parts Mk1 eyeball and one part good luck. Fougas could carry light bombs but we didn't. PC-9s can carry and use anything that has the standard NATO 14-inch lugs. These days, adding a weapon system is a bit more involved as you have to tell the aircraft software what's being added and the fire computer has to be aware of the ballistics of the weapon. Earlier PC-7s and other turboprops just had a reflector gunsight and a firing control panel and it was about as sophisticated as a WW 2 fighter......the Swiss are hypocrites of the highest order. They had no problem supplying Pinochet with infantry rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                I seem to recall that the Hardpoints and HUD were aftermarket additions from Belgium?
                The aircraft had their armament fit out added in Austria prior to delivery.

Comment

What about the Lysander? It had the option to mount bombs on the wheel fairings, but I'm not sure we did in Irish service.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

It could carry 25 lb bombs on those little wings........ Aircraft like the PC-9 can carry bombs from the start, because the pylon is designed to be able to carry a free-fall weapon, a missile "shoe" for a rail launched weapon or a podded weapon or camera or multiple bomb carrier. If the pylon is "wet", it can carry a drop tank or a ferry tank.

Comment

Working...
                    X