Brits to sell off Iveco Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    The RG32 have no pratical use beyond overseas deployment and there are possibly occasions where the Pajeros are less than suitable, but I do agree with a reduction in types...so bin the RG32s
    The RG32M LTVs (LTAVs are of limited use anywhere) and the Panther is in the same boat

Comment

i would imagine size wise the Panther would be more practical domestically while presumably the RG 32 more suited to overseas, otherwise we just rely on Mowags. Are they not overkill in most domestic situations

Comment

Originally posted by apc View Post
        i would imagine size wise the Panther would be more practical domestically while presumably the RG 32 more suited to overseas, otherwise we just rely on Mowags. Are they not overkill in most domestic situations
        There is not much in the difference size wise,having seen both in action on narrow Lebanese roads.As for practicality at home. In what role?? LTAV's are overkill for most ATCP taskings.
        For moving troops around they are limited by their size.
        If we need to move troops under armour than Mowag is still the way to go.Even domestically.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Would they be of use to AGS? Either armed response, or patrolling some of the more interesting areas after dark? Obviously with weapons removed an painted a cuddly colour.
          Last edited by Flamingo; 6 May 2018, 14:11.
          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
            Would they be of use to AGS? Either armed response, or patrolling some of the more interesting areas after dark? Obviously with weapons removed an painted a cuddly colour.
            When we had to rely on confiscated armoured BMW's to kit out the ERU after the Garda Inspectorate recommended getting armoured vehicles for use in Barricade situations what do you think?

The head shed in AGS would have a shitfit at the very idea of Guards going around in Military vehicles.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

At present AGS has no need (thank god) for mine protected armoured cars.
              And long may that continue.
              The PSNI only hang on to their Tangi because they had them when there was no other way to get around overtly, safely, but they are being phased out when they reach end of life.
              The Pangolin that replaces them is a public order vehicle, because uniquely, nordie rioters still have access to high velocity firearms and explosives.
              Mainland UK police forces have also started using Pangolin, in response to the threat from islamic terrorism.
              But you won't see the UK police driving around in military armoured vehicles either.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Fair enough. I was more thinking that if they were going cheap (stuff from Whithams is usually priced to sell), would there be a role for them, even if AGS didn’t need all the whistles and bells.
                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

They are mechanical/electrical an issue!

Comment

There is not much in the difference size wise,
                    The RG32 has a bigger profile heightwise than the Panther, I took the attached photo last week in Rome

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00998.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	698195
                    Last edited by hptmurphy; 6 May 2018, 23:12.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I was thinking if we had to go back to border patrols they might more suited but in fairness I forgot that from time to time we do need to move personnel under fire at home so Mowags it is.
                      Last edited by apc; 7 May 2018, 09:51.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        The RG32 has a bigger profile heightwise than the Panther, I took the attached photo last week in Rome

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8526[/ATTACH]
                        Panther is still a large 4 seat car though. Takes up the same space as a large van. Mowag APC doesn't take up much more road space (only 2m longer) and you can effectivey fit three times as many in it.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by apc View Post
                          I was thinking if we had to go back to border patrols they might more suited but in fairness I forgot that from time to time we do need to move personnel under fire at home so Mowags it is.
                          Funny.

Border patrols are done by troops. LTAV's can't carry a patrol.A Mowag can. Yes the CAV LTAVs would have a role for ISTAR,but not for Inserting/extracting patrols.

Anyway.If we needed to go armoured but low profile we could always buy more Landcruiser AUV's.

Comment

Working...
                          X