Ex Irish P20 class delivered to the Libyan Navy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Delivered very empty it would appear given her marks in the water. It'll be interesting to see what weapons will be fitted.
    Given that the distance from Netherlands to Benghazi Libya is about 3500 nm or at least 12 days at sea burning fuel and using water, she would be running a little light. Mostly depends on speed, I'm guessing 12 knots for economy. She is probably also awaiting stores and armament and CREW.

Comment

Originally posted by pilatus View Post

Video of the handover ceremony.
      The NEW Libyan Naval Vessel has been announced by the Libyan Authorities as a return of a Libyan vessel from a seven year sojourn elsewhere. As it is definitely one of our P21 class it demonstrates the inability of Middle Eastern peoples to tell the plain truth on any matter without shame or embarrassment .

Comment

Fuxache
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

T
          he NEW Libyan Naval Vessel has been announced by the Libyan Authorities as a return of a Libyan vessel from a seven year sojourn elsewhere. As it is definitely one of our P21 class it demonstrates the inability of Middle Eastern peoples to tell the plain truth on any matter without shame or embarrassment .
          So its only been resting in our 'Naval Service' for that time.....
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Looks like the Iraqi information minister had an understudy!
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

LÉ Aisling finds new lease of life with Libyan warlord

A former Naval Service ship, auctioned off to a private broker, has ended up in Libya under control of a man who has been described as his country’s most potent warlord.

Comment

They did send a ship off to be refitted, possibly to Malta. To this guys followers, a ship is a ship.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                  LÉ Aisling finds new lease of life with Libyan warlord

https://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...rd-471019.html
                  It was in the news again for contravention of a UN Disarmament protocol. it has been fitted with a 40mm gun + 2x2omm. Selling proven vessels on the open market ,which has ALWAYS been permeated by shady characters, leads to ships being passed from hand to hand . it happened with the break up of ISL, the Aircorps Helos, and two of our Naval Ships. Lack of National pride and a horse Fair mentality leaves us ripe for ridicule and made look like idiots by our civilian bosses.

Comment

So what should we do to control their post service end use? I'm sure I am not alone here hoping to see a more honourable fate for L.E. Eithne when she inevitably retires from service.
                    Clearly selling the ship, or any asset, at public auction has failed us and looks bad for our international reputation.
                    Is it better to mothball the ship, and lay her up somewhere as a floating training room with occasional trips to sea, until her day comes to meet the cutting torch?
                    Because I would be very uncomfortable seeing the ship i watched go down the Verolme slip on a wet dark december day in 1983, end up rusting away as her new owners conversion plans fall by the wayside, or becoming the platform of some glorified foreign gangster.

Let's keep then until they are about to sink, anchor them behind haulbowline so they can be used by NMCI for classrooms, when it looks like they are about to sink, tow them to sea and sink them honourably, for divers to explore, like Isaalt or Muirchu.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      So what should we do to control their post service end use? I'm sure I am not alone here hoping to see a more honourable fate for L.E. Eithne when she inevitably retires from service.
                      Clearly selling the ship, or any asset, at public auction has failed us and looks bad for our international reputation.
                      Is it better to mothball the ship, and lay her up somewhere as a floating training room with occasional trips to sea, until her day comes to meet the cutting torch?
                      Because I would be very uncomfortable seeing the ship i watched go down the Verolme slip on a wet dark december day in 1983, end up rusting away as her new owners conversion plans fall by the wayside, or becoming the platform of some glorified foreign gangster.

Let's keep then until they are about to sink, anchor them behind haulbowline so they can be used by NMCI for classrooms, when it looks like they are about to sink, tow them to sea and sink them honourably, for divers to explore, like Isaalt or Muirchu.
                      If they are not usable within Defence control, then they should be sanitised of pollutants, such as oils or carcinogens , and used in a sinkex offshore as you suggest.

Comment

Would it be unfeasible to convert it to a floating accommodation block? After all, some facilities must already be in board.
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

It is, but assuming you are going to connect to shore supply, you still need a staff aboard to ensure the other machinery is maintained, as well as having somewhere to park it. If rumours are true, space within the basin will be an issue in years to come

Comment

The problem with keeping vessels in service until they are on the verge of sinking is the Minister will then assume that your NS is happy with aging ships and will not renew them, in the fashion of decades of neglect of past Naval ships. As for selling them off, well, they got paid what the market dictated it was worth and the money is being used to fund Dail printers. Keeping old vessels for training means you fill up the limited space in the Base with scarcely usable ships like the old Setanta. As for who gets to use them afterwards, well, that's the way of the world. People are having a moan about one Irish ship that ends up in semi-dodgy hands. Well, so what. Compared to what the countries of Eastern Europe and Russia have dumped into Africa and Asia, one small ship is of no consequence whatsoever. Our friends in Europe will happily sell first-class weapons to anyone who comes calling with a big enough brown envelope, as can be seen in the war in Yemen. Quite frankly, Ireland's conscience is clean on this one.

Comment

If she was used as a dive site people imagine the solicitors rubbing their hands with glee for The claims

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                                Would it be unfeasible to convert it to a floating accommodation block? After all, some facilities must already be in board.
                                Crews won't live on existing vessels…..never mind ships converted to accom purposes
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X