Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eurostat: Highest share of expenditure on defence in Estonia, lowest in Ireland(2016)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurostat: Highest share of expenditure on defence in Estonia, lowest in Ireland(2016)

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/pro...DDN-20180518-1

In 2016, the EU's 28 Member States earmarked €200 billion of public expenditure for 'defence'. This is equivalent to 1.3% of GDP. This is much less than the amount spent on social protection (expenditure equivalent to 19.1% of GDP in 2016), health (7.1%) or education (4.7%), but higher than public spending on recreation, culture and religion (1.0%), environmental protection (0.7%) and housing and community amenities (0.6%).

Highest share of expenditure on defence in Estonia, lowest in Ireland

In 2016, the ratio of government defence expenditure to GDP varied across EU Member States from 0.3% in Ireland, 0.4% in Luxembourg, 0.6% in Malta and Austria, to 2.4% in Estonia, 2.1% in Greece, 2.0% in the United Kingdom and 1.8% in France.

In absolute terms, the United Kingdom spent the most on defence (€47 bn in 2016). This is equivalent to almost a quarter (24%) of the total EU public expenditure on defence. It was followed by France (€41 bn, or 20% of the EU total), Germany (€33 bn, or 16%) and Italy (€22 bn, or 11%). Together, these four Member States accounted for 71% of the total defence expenditure in the EU.
    Last edited by Poiuyt; 28 May 2018, 16:56.

To be fair, that's still not entirely accurate given our screwed up GDP figures, I mean wasn't 2016 the "Leprechaun economics" year?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
      To be fair, that's still not entirely accurate given our screwed up GDP figures, I mean wasn't 2016 the "Leprechaun economics" year?
      Even if you take out the so called "Leprechaun economics" it does not change the picture a lot! The jump was in 2015 but the GDP has not fallen, and even if the GNI value is used the percentage is still roughly the same.

Comment

It's amazing what a border with Russia and learning from previous attacks will do (hat tip to Estonia}

Comment

The over-heating of the housing markets shows that there is room to expand our defence spend but selling that to the public will be an issue. However in the early 90's we had a spend of 1.4% and that seemed to be accepted.

To convince people we must be able to define what our role will be in a common EU defence scenario, like some others we will still be outside of NATO so what can we bring to the table.
          Some items spring easily to mind such as Maritime Patrol, then there are areas which are lacking in a general EU scenario,, sea-lift, air-lift, air-2-air refuelling what role could we play there?

What role will we play in future UN missions: just supplying bodies is more the role of southern Asian countries like India, Indonesia and Philippians. We only can supply small numbers of troops but could provide the heavy elements or expensive items such as air lift both through tactical aircraft and helicopters. The old ex-Soviet machines are not always going to be around and as recently seen Russia is not willing to provide such support to the west (Volga Dnepr will no longer provide AN-124s to NATO).

Once we have a clear vision what we want a future Irish DF to do then we can start to push for more spending.

Comment

Looks like a journo was looking at IMO - it is not like they would look at EC pages

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time.
              We defininitely better not discuss the secret air corps ARW base at the undisclosed location in the Midlands...
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                Wouldn't be the first time.
                We defininitely better not discuss the secret air corps ARW base at the undisclosed location in the Midlands...
                I imagine you'll probably 'disappear' for posting that.

Hopefully it'll be quick.

Was nice knowing you
                'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                  I imagine you'll probably 'disappear' for posting that.

Hopefully it'll be quick.

Was nice knowing you
                  Zip ties,Blacked out goggles,peltors and most importantly a ball gag,being prepared as we speak.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Yes, the ball gag makes the experience a lot mo

Comment

Yes, the ball gag makes the experience a lot mo
                      Looks like they got him mid-sentence.

Hopefully the ball-gag isn't too tight.

Comment

I wish to confirm that I am alive and uninjured. Nobody need to be concerned for my welfare.
                        Do not go looking for me.

Comment

I wish to confirm that I am alive and uninjured. Nobody need to be concerned for my welfare.
                          Do not go looking for me.
                          Thank Goodness for that.

They didn't 'recruit' you did they?

Why is my computer making funny whirring noises...

Comment

Ireland’s defence spending is lowest in Europe at 0.3% of GDP

By Sean O’Riordan
                            The Department of Defence added that each country pursues a defence policy that reflects its particular requirements and there can be significant differences in the proportion of funding that differing states allocate to defence.

“While there is always the potential to invest additional resources in defence, this must be considered against other social, economic and environmental priorities”

The department said that there are a range of other international comparator measures which would place Ireland higher compared to other countries, including total defence expenditure, the percentage of overall government expenditure, and expenditure on a per capita basis.

To use a phase made popular earlier this year "I call BS!!" (What is also often left out is that 25% of our defence budget is to cover Pensions)
                            Clear, if we compare spend per capita or overall expenditure to a small Third World country we come out on top. But we have to be compared to our peers and that is other small/medium First World nations.

Taking % GDP is a means to be able to fairly compare, if the economy is doing bad the GDP and spend goes down, if it is doing good GDP climes and so doe expenditure in absolute term. All the time the % stays the same, back in the late 80's we had still is a slight recession but our spend was 1.3%, a whole 1% more than today!

So lets look at some other indicators:
                            Firstly defence as % of total government budget
                            Top: Estonia 6.0%
                            Bottom: Luxembourg 1.0%
                            Ireland: 1.1%
                            Denmark: 2.3%
                            Finland: 2.3%
                            Sweden: 2.6%
                            EU Avg: 2.6%

Next the Bonn International Center for Conversion (BICC) GMI Index.
                            The Global Militarization Index (GMI) depicts the relative weight and importance of the military apparatus of one state in relation to its society as a whole.
                            Here we are on place 117 in the world, Israel being number 1.
                            Ireland: 493pts
                            Denmark: 642pts
                            Finland: 718pts
                            Sweden: 523pts

One of the key sub-indicators in the GMI is the Military Expenditure Index Score: comparison of military expenditure with its gross domestic product (GDP) and its health expenditure (as share of its GDP);
                            Ireland: 4.32
                            Denmark: 4.42
                            Finland: 4.96
                            Sweden: 4.86

We could go on with more comparisons but as we all know you can tell whatever story you want by selecting what to show and what not. But the general view is that no matter what index you use we are the bottom for defence. And what is more annoying is the DoD defending it with BS rather than being honest and saying the "outside some photo ops for politicos we do not give a flying f..k about funding defence"

Comment

It would be interesting to see the different metrics when the money spent on pensions is taken out of the equation

Comment

Working...
                              X