http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ht=Incinerator

An Bord Pleanala has today granted permission
    http://www.pleanala.ie/news/SIDS%20R...ision%20EN.pdf

The addressing of DoD concerns with regard to AC
    http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/rep...0/RPA0045A.pdf

Basically all The Applicant has to do is stick aviation warning lights on the stack and provide height and co-ordinates

2. Thanks Tempest thanked for this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    This fight is far from over, judging by the local response to this mornings decision, including the leader of Fianna Fail.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

4. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    This fight is far from over, judging by the local response to this mornings decision, including the leader of Fianna Fail.
    The fight is over. With 3 other incinerators already sanctioned elsewhere in the country, the principle of incineration has been accepted. One in Dublin, duleek and limerick. Why shouldn’t cork have one too.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenji View Post
    The fight is over. With 3 other incinerators already sanctioned elsewhere in the country, the principle of incineration has been accepted. One in Dublin, duleek and limerick. Why shouldn’t cork have one too.
    Let us hope it is not entirely over. Incineration is a dirty business with a potential for accidents in the process. Materials incinerated are not of guaranteed uniformity or quality. In it's day ISH tried to process Radio active material. All incineration produces dioxins and particulate matter. The former is captured but PM can go up the chimney. Cobh is a terraced town with buildings facing the sea and will receive emmissios, good or indifferent in Southerly winds. Incineration has a future but it also has a history, so when the chickens come home to roost, Indaver must produce Insurance fund cover for illnesses coupled to emmissions of say at least E 100 Billion. Nationally we know that segregated waste has problems of cross contamination, with wrong items in the wrong bin. We may have to become importers of waste if we cannot feed our incinerator, so we cannot be certain that imported materials are safe.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ancientmariner, like myself will no doubt remember when the Harbour was a dumping ground for all sorts of toxins.
    Irish Fertilizer Industries/Nitrogen Eireann Teoranta in its day at Marino point sent skyward a green plume of chemicals unknown, and everyone living in a 10 mile radius had asthma or a wide range of other respitary ailments. Combine this with the twice daily train carrying gas in bulk tanks. Known locally as the time bomb.When it closed, we could literally breathe a sigh of relief.
    Pfizer at Ringaskiddy had a ship that daily collected their slurry waste, took it a few miles beyond the Cork Buoy, and dumped it.
    On the road to Cobh, just off the N25, another Pharma industry works away making products unknown, but eminating a smell that is somewhere beween boiling cabbage and cats urine.
    The situation at Irish Steel is well documented.
    Harbour residents were made to put up with all this, because of the jobs these industries brought.
    The incinerator is the straw that broke the camels back.

8. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see this turning into a Shell to Sea campaign for its entire build phase.

With the attention this plant has brought and will continue to bring, I wonder has the planning taken account of the the risks of possibility attracting environmental terrorism. At its initial planning, the worlds eco-terrorist groups never had cheap access to drones capable of carrying munitions. Neither did they have access to state level cyber weapons akin to stuxnet/shamoon/wannacry/notpetya.

Now they do.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/09/01/...tal-extremism/

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree. The site is opposite the entrance to NMCI. The only thing beyond that is the Naval Base. The rest is Port of Cork or Large Pharma. Next door is a scrap facility. Port of cork has just commenced expansion of the port facility, this will see many construction vehicles for the next five years or more. In addition, the dreaded east tip is currently being landscaped to cover the evils of the last ecological blot on the harbour landscape.. Corrib, by contrast was one remote construction site surrounded by countryside. It will be difficult, for potential protesters to tell which truck is for the Ferryport or the east tip and which is for the incinerator.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing some tweets that Kohoe has "confirmed a review of the base post incinerator"?

Something from Afloat:
    https://afloat.ie/port-news/navy/ite...to-be-reviewed
    Last edited by Sparky42; 13th June 2018 at 20:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Seeing some tweets that Kohoe has "confirmed a review of the base post incinerator"?

Something from Afloat:
    https://afloat.ie/port-news/navy/ite...to-be-reviewed
    If they were serious on national security could they do a CPO on the land under the defence act?
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed! I mean, annihilation’s bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know why we do not put those type on industries on the west coast out of the way of populated areas

14. Likes DeV liked this post
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    I don't know why we do not put those type on industries on the west coast out of the way of populated areas
    How did that work out for bringing the gas ashore fro Corrib, you'd get the same issues, just with the added issue of being far from where the waste is produced.

16. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, hptmurphy liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTU View Post
    If they were serious on national security could they do a CPO on the land under the defence act?
    Oddly enough, the relcaimed land around the island was once DoD property.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    I disagree. The site is opposite the entrance to NMCI. The only thing beyond that is the Naval Base. The rest is Port of Cork or Large Pharma. Next door is a scrap facility. Port of cork has just commenced expansion of the port facility, this will see many construction vehicles for the next five years or more. In addition, the dreaded east tip is currently being landscaped to cover the evils of the last ecological blot on the harbour landscape.. Corrib, by contrast was one remote construction site surrounded by countryside. It will be difficult, for potential protesters to tell which truck is for the Ferryport or the east tip and which is for the incinerator.
    The incinerator is probably dependent on the Port of Cork to create a fall back supply chain to top up materials for the fires. However Port of Cork is in a capacity handling overload in that the new deepwater facilities , shifted down stream, are insufficient and we are seeing ships waiting at anchor for a berths most days.

Thread Information