Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like

Mid 1980s IDF Vehicle Questions

Hey there,

I am a miniature wargamer looking to re-create a IDF army list for scenarios in tabletop gaming, so just have a few questions surrounding some the vehicles of the mid 80s.

Firstly, when did the Scorpions receive their co axial GPMG's? I can find pictures from the early 80s that show the .50 cal on the command vehicle but i can only found 1990s+ images of scorps with the GPMG's mounted.

Secondly what transport did the ranger wing use in the mid 80s? I've heard the Land Rover 110XD WMIK but also heard that this may of been used only in Liberia and was mission dependent, what generally would of been the transport for them?

And last speaking for transports in general, how was the crew selected for transports like the Panhard M3 or timoney apc? where these selected from the squads themselves which dismounted with the rest of the section or were they dedicated crew that stayed onboard?

Any replies will be much appreicated!
    Cheers.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is your understanding of "co-axial"? Your question about this is confusing.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

3. Likes DeV liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    What is your understanding of "co-axial"? Your question about this is confusing.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rpion_Tank.jpg

The GPMG thats mounted on top here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Hey there,

I am a miniature wargamer looking to re-create a IDF army list for scenarios in tabletop gaming, so just have a few questions surrounding some the vehicles of the mid 80s.

Firstly, when did the Scorpions receive their co axial GPMG's? I can find pictures from the early 80s that show the .50 cal on the command vehicle but i can only found 1990s+ images of scorps with the GPMG's mounted.

Secondly what transport did the ranger wing use in the mid 80s? I've heard the Land Rover 110XD WMIK but also heard that this may of been used only in Liberia and was mission dependent, what generally would of been the transport for them?

And last speaking for transports in general, how was the crew selected for transports like the Panhard M3 or timoney apc? where these selected from the squads themselves which dismounted with the rest of the section or were they dedicated crew that stayed onboard?

Any replies will be much appreicated!
    Cheers.
    Co axial weapon being that which is fitted along side the main weapon, in this case the MAG 80 fitted in tandem to the 76mm on the CVRT, the additional turret mounted weapon being a MAG 58 mounted in the mid 80s. the > 5 mouinted on trp command Vehicles in the aerly 90s didn't last as it raised the profile of the vehicle.

ARW didn't use an armed vehicles other than VLRA ACMATS in UNISOM until the deployment of the WMIK in Liberia, which were actulally Dutch owned vehicles and were promptly returned after the were deemed unstable after the tragic death of Sgt Derek Mooney, ARW

The APC crews were selected from qualified personel, witha requirement for AF154 'S' for drivers and a APC commanders course for commanders. Usually from the Bn to which to the vehicle was deployed . AF154 'S' courses would have been a speciality in infantry units. The majority of the Timoney APC were deployed by 1st Tank Squadron, so a 154 'S and a commanders course would be fairly generic within a Cavalry unit.
    Time for another break I think......

Thread Information