Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Routes to becoming an Officer for Privates?

    I'm going to apply for a Cadetship once I finish college next year but I know a lot of people who have applied for it and didn't get in.

    If I end up on that boat are there any routes to a commission through general service for let's say a private or a corporal with a decent University degree?

  2. #2
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are serving in the PDF you can still apply for a cadetship in exactly the same way up to the age limit.

    The other route is commissioning from the ranks where you need to be a NCO but those courses are only run every 10 years or so (there is a course on at the minute).

  3. #3
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    189
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 10th Potential Officer Course is on now. As the name suggests it is only the 10th one that has ever been run.

    Provided you meet the age requirements, there are quite a few enlisted soldiers that get selected for a cadetship.

    The DF have not done a direct comissioning from the ranks in decades and other than a judge and medical officers, have not had direct entrant PDF officers 15 years

  4. #4
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribben View Post
    I'm going to apply for a Cadetship once I finish college next year but I know a lot of people who have applied for it and didn't get in.

    If I end up on that boat are there any routes to a commission through general service for let's say a private or a corporal with a decent University degree?
    Yes, apply for a Cadetship as a serving private. There are now plenty of officers that have come up through the ranks this way in recent years. 20% of some cadet classes in fact.

  5. #5
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    9,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the reserve, Commissioning from the ranks is the main road in.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  6. #6
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post

    The DF have not done a direct comissioning from the ranks in decades and other than a judge and medical officers, have not had direct entrant PDF officers 15 years
    The AC commissioned five NCOs earlier this year.

  7. #7
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    The AC commissioned five NCOs earlier this year.
    as ATCs

  8. #8
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    as ATCs
    Yes Dev. Once again, thank you for stating the obvious. I'm starting to think you do this deliberately.

    Fantasia stated that the "DF" has not done a direct commissoning from the ranks in decades. This isn't the case.

    Also, my mistake, it was four NCOs, not five.

  9. Likes na grohmit liked this post
  10. #9
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    189
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    The AC commissioned five NCOs earlier this year.
    Like many in the army, I used DF when I should have used army.

    Apologies for the confusion

  11. #10
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you applied for a cadetship as a serving private are there any restrictions on age? or amount of years served?

    Would prior service be beneficial in the selection process or do they ignore it?

  12. #11
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are the age requirements? Can an enlisted soldier apply for a cadetship competition?

  13. #12
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    Yes, apply for a Cadetship as a serving private. There are now plenty of officers that have come up through the ranks this way in recent years. 20% of some cadet classes in fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    The 10th Potential Officer Course is on now. As the name suggests it is only the 10th one that has ever been run.

    Provided you meet the age requirements, there are quite a few enlisted soldiers that get selected for a cadetship.

    The DF have not done a direct comissioning from the ranks in decades and other than a judge and medical officers, have not had direct entrant PDF officers 15 years
    What are the requirements for a serving private to apply for a cadetship in terms of age and years of experience?

    Can you apply for a Cadetship competition whilst serving as a private?

  14. #13
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you apply for a cadetship as a serving PDF NCO/Pte, exactly the same requirements (age etc) apply as if you were a civilian.

    You just qualify for a bonus in final interview.

  15. #14
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    9,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pedantic I know but we have both an RDF and PDF with Army Components. ( the Act, S18)
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  16. #15
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know how the cadet payscale works?
    I know that regular pay scales go up yearly from 1st Point onwards.
    But Cadetships only last 15 months, so are there certain landmarks that have to be hit in order for pay to increase?
    Or is it every 3ish months? (seeing as there are five points to the scale)

    Thanks.

  17. #16
    C/S Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribben View Post
    I'm going to apply for a Cadetship once I finish college next year but I know a lot of people who have applied for it and didn't get in.

    If I end up on that boat are there any routes to a commission through general service for let's say a private or a corporal with a decent University degree?
    Don't forget that getting in as a civilian is by far the better option if that's the route you want to go down.

    The increased score received in interview from being already enlisted in the PDF is quite small so there is no guarantee that being already enlisted will improve your chances of a cadetship massively.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a private soldier but you could find it tough going if a cadetship is your real goal.

    Just apply as a civilian, put enlisting out of your mind and give it your best shot!

  18. #17
    C/S Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedy View Post
    Does anyone know how the cadet payscale works?
    I know that regular pay scales go up yearly from 1st Point onwards.
    But Cadetships only last 15 months, so are there certain landmarks that have to be hit in order for pay to increase?
    Or is it every 3ish months? (seeing as there are five points to the scale)

    Thanks.
    This was already answered and replied to in the thread you previously setup.

    http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...Cadet-Payscale

  19. #18
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    as ATCs
    Implying that ATCs make a lesser officer than any other type?
    Time for another break I think......

  20. Likes Fantasia liked this post
  21. #19
    C/S Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Implying that ATCs make a lesser officer than any other type?
    I wondered the same.....

  22. #20
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Implying that ATCs make a lesser officer than any other type?
    Absolutely not

    A very Specialist small pool of people

    Afaik they were all ATC NCOs so they had to have ATC qualifications already

  23. #21
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Absolutely not

    A very Specialist small pool of people

    Afaik they were all ATC NCOs so they had to have ATC qualifications already
    So why highlight that they were ATCO's.... Primarily an officer in the DF.... qualified as an ATCO. When it comes to highlighting that persons were CFR for what ever reason or the corps it always seems like they have a stigma behind them.

    They are now Commissioned officers regardless of their back round.
    Time for another break I think......

  24. Likes Auldsod, Herald liked this post
  25. #22
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    So why highlight that they were ATCO's.... Primarily an officer in the DF.... qualified as an ATCO. When it comes to highlighting that persons were CFR for what ever reason or the corps it always seems like they have a stigma behind them.

    They are now Commissioned officers regardless of their back round.
    Some of the most memorable officers I’ve come across (for positive reasons) are CFRs and it is to be encouraged

    Go back to the original question in the thread, just having “a decent university degree” will not get you on a CFR scheme.

    In some cases, they are highly specialised as I was highlighting

  26. #23
    Commander in Chief Bravo20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    5,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    The CFR scheme in the PDF is very rare, currently running at once a decade it seems. It is a very underutilized source of officers in the DF. That being said the large classes and the increase in age limit for cadets have meant that more other ranks are applying and getting in.

  27. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  28. #24
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go back to the original question in the thread, just having “a decent university degree” will not get you on a CFR scheme.
    As it should be !
    Time for another break I think......

  29. #25
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    189
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    The CFR scheme in the PDF is very rare, currently running at once a decade it seems. It is a very underutilized source of officers in the DF. That being said the large classes and the increase in age limit for cadets have meant that more other ranks are applying and getting in.
    It is a pity it is not utilised more, some great people have come through that scheme. The current course was supposed to happen around 4 years ago but didnt happen.

  30. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •