Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    sadly senior officers never wanted men from the ranks so to speak...they never considered their ability and knowledge....hopefully this may change....too late for many though...

2. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golden rivet View Post
    sadly senior officers never wanted men from the ranks so to speak...they never considered their ability and knowledge....hopefully this may change....too late for many though...
    That is very untrue of the modern DF where CFR officers are more valued due to their maturity and experience

4. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    That is very untrue of the modern DF where CFR officers are more valued due to their maturity and experience
    absolutely and should be done more, would have major benefits for both officers and other ranks

Post Thanks / Like
    If that is true why are they only run every 10 years or so?

7. Thanks Spark23 thanked for this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    If that is true why are they only run every 10 years or so?
    10 POC was supposed to start in circa 2015 or so. DOD were dragging their feet about the T&C despite a lotnof pushing from J1. They only got agreement on the T&C at the end of 2017 and competition was run in 2018.

I would like to see them run every few years and have it as a viable career path rather than someone be lucky to meet the criteria when one is advertised

9. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    10 POC was supposed to start in circa 2015 or so. DOD were dragging their feet about the T&C despite a lotnof pushing from J1. They only got agreement on the T&C at the end of 2017 and competition was run in 2018.

I would like to see them run every few years and have it as a viable career path rather than someone be lucky to meet the criteria when one is advertised
    Army logic (including DoD in that)

The biggest cadet classes in the history of the State, shortages of officers in units, more and more taskings, UCAS, etc etc

Were the public service career breaks also actively encouraged in the DF ?

Now having said that the NCO rank loses some very capable experienced NCOs but it hopefully makes the DF a better place

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not actively encouraged but facilitated more often than maybe previously

12. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    If an enlisted member got accepted onto a cadetship would they have to do the whole 15 months of officer training or would they enter at a later stage because of their previous military experience?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribben View Post
    If an enlisted member got accepted onto a cadetship would they have to do the whole 15 months of officer training or would they enter at a later stage because of their previous military experience?
    Exactly the same cadetship (ie 15 months)

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity in terms of enlisted and commissioned personnel how long do they have to wait to serve overseas?

I spoke to a serving officer about joining last week and he told me he waited 8 or 9 years to get the chance.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity in terms of enlisted and commissioned personnel how long do they have to wait to serve overseas?

I spoke to a serving officer about joining last week and he told me he waited 8 or 9 years to get the chance.
    It really depends on unit and Corps. In the Infantry, the largest Corps, it's about 3-5 years for a Private. For a Lieutenant, it's about 5-7 years.

This will also depend on the number of troops overseas, there will be an increase from November so waiting time will reduce.

Getting the first trip isn't a problem, its the second trip for a Private that is almost impossible to get unless your a cook or Mowag crewman.

17. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    It really depends on unit and Corps. In the Infantry, the largest Corps, it's about 3-5 years for a Private. For a Lieutenant, it's about 5-7 years.

This will also depend on the number of troops overseas, there will be an increase from November so waiting time will reduce.

Getting the first trip isn't a problem, its the second trip for a Private that is almost impossible to get unless your a cook or Mowag crewman.
    Does this not make it difficult for privates to extend their service even when promoted to Corporal? I thought they had to have more than one tour under the belt in their first enlistment?

Or is it different in practice?

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Does this not make it difficult for privates to extend their service even when promoted to Corporal? I thought they had to have more than one tour under the belt in their first enlistment?

Or is it different in practice?
    The requirement for an overseas trip for Extension of Service is impossible for most to achieve as there is not enough overseas trips, so it is ignored. The average is about one trip in 9 years.

20. Thanks Auldsod thanked for this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Extension of Service is impossible for most to achieve as there is not enough overseas trips, so it is ignored. The average is about one trip in 9 years.
    If you are in certain corps, though, your chance is much higher I would presume.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like

There are officers going overseas next trip that were commissioned last year. It all depends on the needs of the service.

23. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know of one Non infantry officer who couldnt get an overseas trip until a Captain vacancy came up. Even then, the mission was scrubbed.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    What corps are they in?

Thread Information