No announcement yet.

Single boot concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can tell you that the offer of a piggyback buy on the various UK contracts has been made in the last few months - there was no response...

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
      I can tell you that the offer of a piggyback buy on the various UK contracts has been made in the last few months - there was no response...
      Because this tender was in train maybe ????

That could be why it was cancelled

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Because this tender was in train maybe ????

That could be why it was cancelled
        I doubt it - it was a two or three sentence offer: what we're ordering, timelines and costs, and are you interested?

There was no response - nothing, not even a 'wait, out' -so it's pretty unlikely that you've chinned off a procurement exercise to take advantage of ours with just three lines of an offer you didn't respond to. No samples, no nothing...

Comment

• Shame, they really should have asked for an F-35B sample...

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
            Shame, they really should have asked for an F-35B sample...
            Do you still have an embassy in Damascus?

Actually, if the DF units on the Golan had an AD radar, they wouldn't have seen them as well...

Comment

Do you still have an embassy in Damascus?

Actually, if the DF units on the Golan had an AD radar, they wouldn't have seen them as well...
              I would say the RAF had a bit of a wake up call in Cyprus this morning

It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
              It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                IE the suppliers wanting more than the DF was prepared to pay?
                I've always wondered about this. From what I've seen the outdoor retail trade buys stuff at half of the price that you see it on sale for. So a 240 pair of boots should cost the shop €120. The manufacturer of course, made the things for half of that, so their cost to make is about 60, with the balance profit. The DF values for a pair of boots, have always been greater than half SRP - I wonder to manufacturers see the DF coming and go - easy money. The thing to remember is that the DF orders are small fry compared to some European retailers, some of the big outdoor chains in germany would order stock for a few months, what would do the DF a few years.

Of course other markets are different, electronics have fairly tight margins for example.

Comment

• Depends how many pairs the DF wanted over how many years and how much they were prepared to pair for them.

There are dozens of manufacturers who will provide 30,000 pairs over 3 years for €30 a pair, fabric/leather boot with a waterproof liner and a vibram sole. For €50 you get a better, more resilient boot in more size options, and as you go higher your options get better and better.

If the DF wanted to pay €15 a pair then it was probably disappointed with what was offered in return...

Comment

• It might be going a bit of track but I have always wondered why we did not join the Nordic Combat Uniform project, as we all expect to deploy troops to similar places through UN and EU missions it might have make sense to take advantage of a common uniform.

Comment

• Having seen, particularly the Norwegian uniforms and cold/wet weather gear, up close and in operational conditions, I can say they don't stint on cost. The civil equivalent of their wet weather gear alone would cost you €700 and change...

Comment

• The Danes too. Their stuff is top of the line
                        I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                        Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                        Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                        And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                        With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                        He put a bullet through his brain.
                        And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                        Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                        Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                        The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                          It might be going a bit of track but I have always wondered why we did not join the Nordic Combat Uniform project, as we all expect to deploy troops to similar places through UN and EU missions it might have make sense to take advantage of a common uniform.
                          from what i can see day-to-day engagement with other EU militaries has dropped through the floor. i work (admittedly in a NATO context) with middle/senior ranking officers from the Nordic countries, France, Germany, the Baltics, and of course we talk shop - there's a bare minimum to support the next EUBG rotation with Germany, but thats it. by contrast we'll be doing something (training/doctrine/diplomacy/exercises with all of those militaries, whether in an a NATO context or just a 'friendly neighbours' context every single week.

the MOU with the UK is effectively dead, nothing came of it apart from unanswered emails, and the Nordics are the most disapointed of all, given the proportion of UN/EU deployments they do that include Ireland. i worked on a JW were Sweden (non-NATO member) specifically asked if we could arrange for an Irish FAC team to be involved so they could really work the air support angle for an upcoming EUBG. no answer.

Comment

from what i can see day-to-day engagement with other EU militaries has dropped through the floor. i work (admittedly in a NATO context) with middle/senior ranking officers from the Nordic countries, France, Germany, the Baltics, and of course we talk shop - there's a bare minimum to support the next EUBG rotation with Germany, but thats it. by contrast we'll be doing something (training/doctrine/diplomacy/exercises with all of those militaries, whether in an a NATO context or just a 'friendly neighbours' context every single week.

the MOU with the UK is effectively dead, nothing came of it apart from unanswered emails, and the Nordics are the most disapointed of all, given the proportion of UN/EU deployments they do that include Ireland. i worked on a JW were Sweden (non-NATO member) specifically asked if we could arrange for an Irish FAC team to be involved so they could really work the air support angle for an upcoming EUBG. no answer.
                            Of course who did the U.K. ask?

I’m assuming DoD

There is a particular subunit doing short-term exchanges and other engagement with Brecon .... that is NCOTW

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              Of course who did the U.K. ask?

I’m assuming DoD

There is a particular subunit doing short-term exchanges and other engagement with Brecon .... that is NCOTW
                              its Mil-to-Mil at Colonel level. thats my source anyway, theres a MOD-DOD link, and knowing the byzantine nature of DOD-DF relations there's some co-ordination on the UK side

Comment

• Regarding tagging on to orders - are the DF hampered at all by the requirements to tender? I mean if that was the case, it would at least seem polite to say as much.

Regarding things like JW... It does seem odd that the DF can deploy on NATO lead missions, but not NATO lead exercises... At least if they include bang bang elements - given that they have participated in things like Combined Endeavour.

Actually, maybe another poster was right and the problem is all in the titles - ropebag, can you arrange for JW to be retitled into something more expedient for our situation, something like "Non-aligned shooty bang bang exercise that is not indicative of any wavering of Ireland's oft referenced, but functionally meaningless, tradition of neutrality 19-2."

Comment

Working...
                                X