Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 37 of 37
  1. #26
    Lt Colonel Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Heart in Donegal
    Posts
    2,068
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think the camo pattern made a difference in Somalia though? I can't imagine the locals looking through binos and going "nah Mohammed, it's ok these are IRISH foreign invaders here to support the UN, and by extension foreign colonial powers, leave them go." "How do I know?" "Well if you look at the dark brown, black, and shades of green, while it looks similar to the French dogs, it's actually quite distinct"

    Any photos/links to the Swiss project?
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

    In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

    You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

  2. Likes na grohmití, CTU liked this post
  3. #27
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Do you think the camo pattern made a difference in Somalia though? I can't imagine the locals looking through binos and going "nah Mohammed, it's ok these are IRISH foreign invaders here to support the UN, and by extension foreign colonial powers, leave them go." "How do I know?" "Well if you look at the dark brown, black, and shades of green, while it looks similar to the French dogs, it's actually quite distinct"
    I agree to a point

    Not sure if the US were the only ones with chocolate chip in Somalia.... but they weren’t part of UNOSOM II AFAIK

    Of course then the went to French (Franklin?) uniform in OG (as used with UNIFIL (or was UNOSOM II the first use?)), not sure if there was French with UNOSOM II or in Somalia - of course one thing worth nothing is the Irish was the only contigent not to take any casualties.

    The Irish pattern is very similar to the French TBH

    My personal feeling is that maybe we should just go for someone else’s pattern and buy off the shelf, which would probably improve supply, design and quality issues and drastically reduce costs.

    Any photos/links to the Swiss project?
    ?
    Last edited by DeV; Yesterday at 18:07.

  4. #28
    Lt General apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    4,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think the camo pattern made a difference in Somalia though? I can't imagine the locals looking through binos and going "nah Mohammed, it's ok these are IRISH foreign invaders here to support the UN, and by extension foreign colonial powers, leave them go." "How do I know?" "Well if you look at the dark brown, black, and shades of green, while it looks similar to the French dogs, it's actually quite distinct"
    In a word.Yes. The first time the Irish were contacted out there it transpired afterwards that the Somali militia mistook them for Americans.My cousin was one of the lads there that day and he and the rest of the people who were there are some of the few DF to have fired in anger overseas in the last 30 years.
    Any photos/links to the Swiss project?
    Yup. http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t12429-n...s-armed-forces or you can just google "Swiss Army MBAS".




    Of course then the went to French (Franklin?) uniform in OG (as used with UNIFIL (or was UNOSOM II the first use?)), not sure if there was French with UNOSOM II or in Somalia - of course one thing worth nothing is the Irish was the only contigent not to take any casualties.
    UNOSOM 2 were the first to wear what later became the "Franklin" uniform.The first ones were actually French F1 uniforms that the irish purchased as a UOR from the French Foreign legion whom they shared a camp with in Baidoa.
    The Irish pattern is very similar to the French TBH
    Not as much yellow/loam.

    My personal feeling is that maybe we should just go for someone else’s pattern and buy off the shelf, which would probably improve supply, design and quality issues and drastically reduce costs.
    Nah.I like the fact that our pattern is ours.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  5. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, EUFighter liked this post
  6. #29
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Swiss stuff is normally good quality but unlikely to be combat proven and will be expensive

  7. #30
    Lt General apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    4,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyway.Thread drift.Back on topic folks.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  8. #31
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Do you think the camo pattern made a difference in Somalia though? I can't imagine the locals looking through binos and going "nah Mohammed, it's ok these are IRISH foreign invaders here to support the UN, and by extension foreign colonial powers, leave them go." "How do I know?" "Well if you look at the dark brown, black, and shades of green, while it looks similar to the French dogs, it's actually quite distinct"

    Any photos/links to the Swiss project?
    In that type of thinking, then buying a leprechaun suit in temple Bar would be more effective with shamrock bobbles on the helmet

  9. Likes X-RayOne liked this post
  10. #32
    Custom User Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    In a word.Yes. The first time the Irish were contacted out there it transpired afterwards that the Somali militia mistook them for Americans.My cousin was one of the lads there that day and he and the rest of the people who were there are some of the few DF to have fired in anger overseas in the last 30 years.

    Yup. http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t12429-n...s-armed-forces or you can just google "Swiss Army MBAS".





    UNOSOM 2 were the first to wear what later became the "Franklin" uniform.The first ones were actually French F1 uniforms that the irish purchased as a UOR from the French Foreign legion whom they shared a camp with in Baidoa.

    Not as much yellow/loam.


    Nah.I like the fact that our pattern is ours.
    AFAIK the 77 Inf BN UNIFIL was the first to wear franklins.. The 76 had US Style OG combats on trail.

  11. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  12. #33
    Lt General apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    4,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Craghopper View Post
    AFAIK the 77 Inf BN UNIFIL was the first to wear franklins.. The 76 had US Style OG combats on trail.
    Correct.The 77 Bn were the first to wear the Franklin.1st TPT UNOSOM Changed to the French F1's halfway through the trip and the 2nd TPT deployed in them. Franklins were a copy of the F1's.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  13. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  14. #34
    Custom User Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Correct.The 77 Bn were the first to wear the Franklin.1st TPT UNOSOM Changed to the French F1's halfway through the trip and the 2nd TPT deployed in them. Franklins were a copy of the F1's.
    Yup.. I Know .. One of the lads I trained with served with the FFL. Tailored the franklins to the same specs as the F1's. Had us all following suit.

  15. #35
    Lieutenant X-RayOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    dublin
    Posts
    1,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the end of the day camo pattern uniforms and kit are designed to help conceal troops for their safety, we should not forget this. Similarly, this should be the primary focus in picking a pattern, making sure it does what it is supposed to.

    Personally, I think our pattern works well at home or in temperate environments such as most of Europe, etc. What we need is an arid uniform considering where most of our recent and current overseas missions are. We have one already, it just needs to be issued on a widescale basis instead of becoming some gucchi collectors item on ebay costing 500 euros a pop!

    In relation to force protection / identification, it is a fallicy to say our uniform significantly protects us overseas. We drive around in the most un-tactical bright white vehicles, adorned with bright blue flags and wear same bright blue covers on our body armour and helmets. We can't make it more clear who we represent. If we are going to be contacted it will happen.

    On the missions where we aren't wearing UN colours, e.g. East Timor, Chad, Mali, etc. then our uniforms definitely need to help us blend in and this is where continuing to wear stand out patterns need to be questioned. Also, consider in the highest risk theatre we have recently operated in, Afghanistan, we wore desert uniforms like every other nation. ????
    The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

    T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

  16. Likes Flamingo liked this post
  17. #36
    Recruit Poiuyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    Also, consider in the highest risk theatre we have recently operated in, Afghanistan, we wore desert uniforms like every other nation. ????
    Except for the Temperate pattern helmet cover, CBA, and battlevest... kind of makes you wonder why they wore arid uniforms at all?

    Or were arid pattern helmet cover, CBA covers, and battlevest ever ordered?




    Last edited by Poiuyt; Today at 16:07.

  18. Likes Flamingo liked this post
  19. #37
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    At the end of the day camo pattern uniforms and kit are designed to help conceal troops for their safety, we should not forget this. Similarly, this should be the primary focus in picking a pattern, making sure it does what it is supposed to.

    Personally, I think our pattern works well at home or in temperate environments such as most of Europe, etc. What we need is an arid uniform considering where most of our recent and current overseas missions are. We have one already, it just needs to be issued on a widescale basis instead of becoming some gucchi collectors item on ebay costing 500 euros a pop!

    In relation to force protection / identification, it is a fallicy to say our uniform significantly protects us overseas. We drive around in the most un-tactical bright white vehicles, adorned with bright blue flags and wear same bright blue covers on our body armour and helmets. We can't make it more clear who we represent. If we are going to be contacted it will happen.

    On the missions where we aren't wearing UN colours, e.g. East Timor, Chad, Mali, etc. then our uniforms definitely need to help us blend in and this is where continuing to wear stand out patterns need to be questioned. Also, consider in the highest risk theatre we have recently operated in, Afghanistan, we wore desert uniforms like every other nation. ????
    Quote Originally Posted by Poiuyt View Post
    Except for the Temperate pattern helmet cover, CBA, and battlevest... kind of makes you wonder why they wore arid uniforms at all?

    Or were arid pattern helmet cover, CBA covers, and battlevest ever ordered?




    There has been occasions overseas where elements (for various reasons) have/will/try to target specific nationalities in a multi-national environment for various reasons. Including when you are in a white vehicle, with blue body armour & helmet cover. Of course, on occasion having a unique uniform will be an advantage in this regard.... sometimes a disadvantage

    Why is a lighter colour required in some climates..... it isn’t necessarily to blend in ..... its to stay cooler



    Also remember that DPMs actually replaced 2 uniforms.
    Last edited by DeV; Today at 16:36.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •