Single boot concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buck View Post
    Do you think the camo pattern made a difference in Somalia though? I can't imagine the locals looking through binos and going "nah Mohammed, it's ok these are IRISH foreign invaders here to support the UN, and by extension foreign colonial powers, leave them go." "How do I know?" "Well if you look at the dark brown, black, and shades of green, while it looks similar to the French dogs, it's actually quite distinct"

Any photos/links to the Swiss project?
    In that type of thinking, then buying a leprechaun suit in temple Bar would be more effective with shamrock bobbles on the helmet

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
      In a word.Yes. The first time the Irish were contacted out there it transpired afterwards that the Somali militia mistook them for Americans.My cousin was one of the lads there that day and he and the rest of the people who were there are some of the few DF to have fired in anger overseas in the last 30 years.

Yup. http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t12429-n...s-armed-forces or you can just google "Swiss Army MBAS".

UNOSOM 2 were the first to wear what later became the "Franklin" uniform.The first ones were actually French F1 uniforms that the irish purchased as a UOR from the French Foreign legion whom they shared a camp with in Baidoa.

Not as much yellow/loam.

Nah.I like the fact that our pattern is ours.
      AFAIK the 77 Inf BN UNIFIL was the first to wear franklins.. The 76 had US Style OG combats on trail.

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
        AFAIK the 77 Inf BN UNIFIL was the first to wear franklins.. The 76 had US Style OG combats on trail.
        Correct.The 77 Bn were the first to wear the Franklin.1st TPT UNOSOM Changed to the French F1's halfway through the trip and the 2nd TPT deployed in them. Franklins were a copy of the F1's.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Correct.The 77 Bn were the first to wear the Franklin.1st TPT UNOSOM Changed to the French F1's halfway through the trip and the 2nd TPT deployed in them. Franklins were a copy of the F1's.
          Yup.. I Know .. One of the lads I trained with served with the FFL. Tailored the franklins to the same specs as the F1's. Had us all following suit.

Comment

At the end of the day camo pattern uniforms and kit are designed to help conceal troops for their safety, we should not forget this. Similarly, this should be the primary focus in picking a pattern, making sure it does what it is supposed to.

Personally, I think our pattern works well at home or in temperate environments such as most of Europe, etc. What we need is an arid uniform considering where most of our recent and current overseas missions are. We have one already, it just needs to be issued on a widescale basis instead of becoming some gucchi collectors item on ebay costing 500 euros a pop!

In relation to force protection / identification, it is a fallicy to say our uniform significantly protects us overseas. We drive around in the most un-tactical bright white vehicles, adorned with bright blue flags and wear same bright blue covers on our body armour and helmets. We can't make it more clear who we represent. If we are going to be contacted it will happen.

On the missions where we aren't wearing UN colours, e.g. East Timor, Chad, Mali, etc. then our uniforms definitely need to help us blend in and this is where continuing to wear stand out patterns need to be questioned. Also, consider in the highest risk theatre we have recently operated in, Afghanistan, we wore desert uniforms like every other nation. ????
            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
              Also, consider in the highest risk theatre we have recently operated in, Afghanistan, we wore desert uniforms like every other nation. ????
              Except for the Temperate pattern helmet cover, CBA, and battlevest... kind of makes you wonder why they wore arid uniforms at all?

Or were arid pattern helmet cover, CBA covers, and battlevest ever ordered?

Last edited by Poiuyt; 16 August 2018, 17:07.

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                At the end of the day camo pattern uniforms and kit are designed to help conceal troops for their safety, we should not forget this. Similarly, this should be the primary focus in picking a pattern, making sure it does what it is supposed to.

Personally, I think our pattern works well at home or in temperate environments such as most of Europe, etc. What we need is an arid uniform considering where most of our recent and current overseas missions are. We have one already, it just needs to be issued on a widescale basis instead of becoming some gucchi collectors item on ebay costing 500 euros a pop!

In relation to force protection / identification, it is a fallicy to say our uniform significantly protects us overseas. We drive around in the most un-tactical bright white vehicles, adorned with bright blue flags and wear same bright blue covers on our body armour and helmets. We can't make it more clear who we represent. If we are going to be contacted it will happen.

On the missions where we aren't wearing UN colours, e.g. East Timor, Chad, Mali, etc. then our uniforms definitely need to help us blend in and this is where continuing to wear stand out patterns need to be questioned. Also, consider in the highest risk theatre we have recently operated in, Afghanistan, we wore desert uniforms like every other nation. ????
                Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
                Except for the Temperate pattern helmet cover, CBA, and battlevest... kind of makes you wonder why they wore arid uniforms at all?

There has been occasions overseas where elements (for various reasons) have/will/try to target specific nationalities in a multi-national environment for various reasons. Including when you are in a white vehicle, with blue body armour & helmet cover. Of course, on occasion having a unique uniform will be an advantage in this regard.... sometimes a disadvantage

Why is a lighter colour required in some climates..... it isn’t necessarily to blend in ..... its to stay cooler

Also remember that DPMs actually replaced 2 uniforms.
                Last edited by DeV; 16 August 2018, 17:36.

Comment

Dark colours retain heat and attract insects. and yes they did order 5.11 battlevests and desert helmet covers.GSBA was worn under the vest so was concealed for the most part by it.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	47161_426733773670_6809866_n (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	698222
                  Last edited by apod; 17 August 2018, 19:18.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Dark colours retain heat and attract insects. and yes they did order 5.11 battlevests and desert helmet covers.GSBA was worn under the vest so was concealed for the most part by it.
                    [ATTACH]8581[/ATTACH]
                    Any particular reason the guy on the left is wearing nomex flight gloves?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      There has been occasions overseas where elements (for various reasons) have/will/try to target specific nationalities in a multi-national environment for various reasons. Including when you are in a white vehicle, with blue body armour & helmet cover. Of course, on occasion having a unique uniform will be an advantage in this regard.... sometimes a disadvantage

Why is a lighter colour required in some climates..... it isn’t necessarily to blend in ..... its to stay cooler

Also remember that DPMs actually replaced 2 uniforms.
                      Just looking at the first pic and comparing the BA Desert DPM to our arid, you notice just how much better our pattern blends into the prevalent background muster. The amount of brown is just too much in the BA Desert DPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                        Any particular reason the guy on the left is wearing nomex flight gloves?
                        scoring gucchi points

i'm sure there were no shortage of them where he was.

on the serious side....they are fire resistant, give good tactile dexterity and are close fitting. so not bad as a bit hand protection.
                        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

The way the IDPM was 'aridised' has produced a uniform that's far too light in tone, it looks ok in the one environment in the pictures, but in general terms in Afghanistan it's far too light - it's almost luminescent in anywhere that isn't the colour of concrete dust.

The French arid/desert pattern is very good, as is the Norwegian one, the Swedish pattern is a bit light for my taste - it would be fine in [[/I]very[/I] arid environments, but I think it would struggle anywhere that was a bit more mixed.

Arktis have produced a scheme called Comb Arid that worked far more effectively in Northern Iraq/Kurdistan that than you'd think a collection of greens would, even in very 'deserty' areas.

The existing temperate IDPM pattern would be fine in more arid colours - tone down the Red/Brown colour to a mid-Tan/Brown, change the black to a lightish tan/sand, and it would be an excellent scheme...

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                            The way the IDPM was 'aridised' has produced a uniform that's far too light in tone, it looks ok in the one environment in the pictures, but in general terms in Afghanistan it's far too light - it's almost luminescent in anywhere that isn't the colour of concrete dust.

The French arid/desert pattern is very good, as is the Norwegian one, the Swedish pattern is a bit light for my taste - it would be fine in [[/I]very[/I] arid environments, but I think it would struggle anywhere that was a bit more mixed.

Arktis have produced a scheme called Comb Arid that worked far more effectively in Northern Iraq/Kurdistan that than you'd think a collection of greens would, even in very 'deserty' areas.

The existing temperate IDPM pattern would be fine in more arid colours - tone down the Red/Brown colour to a mid-Tan/Brown, change the black to a lightish tan/sand, and it would be an excellent scheme...
                            From the pictures there is a great variation in the colorisation of the uniforms, this could be due to dust or more likely fading, so a quality issue. In the "non-faded" there is a light tan, light brown tone combined with the base sand tone.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                              From the pictures there is a great variation in the colorisation of the uniforms, this could be due to dust or more likely fading, so a quality issue. In the "non-faded" there is a light tan, light brown tone combined with the base sand tone.
                              I've seen some brand new uniforms, I assume they were a reasonable representation of the average of how the Arid DPM looks, and they are far too light in tone - they are different colours and pattern to the awful US ACU sofa camouflage, but the effect at 100 yards or so is similar, if a light grey/sand man-shaped blob rather than a light grey/blue man shaped blob...

It simply doesn't work, it's just too light.

Comment

MOD: Back on thread folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X