Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  128
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 195
  1. #151
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell you that the offer of a piggyback buy on the various UK contracts has been made in the last few months - there was no response...

  2. Thanks sofa, apod, Truck Driver thanked for this post
  3. #152
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,990
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    I can tell you that the offer of a piggyback buy on the various UK contracts has been made in the last few months - there was no response...
    Because this tender was in train maybe ????

    That could be why it was cancelled

  4. #153
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Because this tender was in train maybe ????

    That could be why it was cancelled
    I doubt it - it was a two or three sentence offer: what we're ordering, timelines and costs, and are you interested?

    There was no response - nothing, not even a 'wait, out' -so it's pretty unlikely that you've chinned off a procurement exercise to take advantage of ours with just three lines of an offer you didn't respond to. No samples, no nothing...

  5. #154
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shame, they really should have asked for an F-35B sample...

  6. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
  7. #155
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pym View Post
    Shame, they really should have asked for an F-35B sample...
    Do you still have an embassy in Damascus?

    Actually, if the DF units on the Golan had an AD radar, they wouldn't have seen them as well...

  8. #156
    C/S CTU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    Do you still have an embassy in Damascus?

    Actually, if the DF units on the Golan had an AD radar, they wouldn't have seen them as well...
    I would say the RAF had a bit of a wake up call in Cyprus this morning

    https://news.sky.com/story/russian-m...icial-11752330
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed! I mean, annihilation's bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

  9. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes EUFighter liked this post
  10. #157
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    IE the suppliers wanting more than the DF was prepared to pay?
    I've always wondered about this. From what I've seen the outdoor retail trade buys stuff at half of the price that you see it on sale for. So a 240 pair of boots should cost the shop €120. The manufacturer of course, made the things for half of that, so their cost to make is about 60, with the balance profit. The DF values for a pair of boots, have always been greater than half SRP - I wonder to manufacturers see the DF coming and go - easy money. The thing to remember is that the DF orders are small fry compared to some European retailers, some of the big outdoor chains in germany would order stock for a few months, what would do the DF a few years.

    Of course other markets are different, electronics have fairly tight margins for example.

  11. #158
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends how many pairs the DF wanted over how many years and how much they were prepared to pair for them.

    There are dozens of manufacturers who will provide 30,000 pairs over 3 years for €30 a pair, fabric/leather boot with a waterproof liner and a vibram sole. For €50 you get a better, more resilient boot in more size options, and as you go higher your options get better and better.

    If the DF wanted to pay €15 a pair then it was probably disappointed with what was offered in return...

  12. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
  13. #159
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    846
    Post Thanks / Like
    It might be going a bit of track but I have always wondered why we did not join the Nordic Combat Uniform project, as we all expect to deploy troops to similar places through UN and EU missions it might have make sense to take advantage of a common uniform.

  14. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  15. #160
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having seen, particularly the Norwegian uniforms and cold/wet weather gear, up close and in operational conditions, I can say they don't stint on cost. The civil equivalent of their wet weather gear alone would cost you €700 and change...

  16. Likes EUFighter liked this post
  17. #161
    Lt Colonel Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Heart in Donegal
    Posts
    2,132
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Danes too. Their stuff is top of the line
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

    In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

    You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

  18. Likes EUFighter, spider pig liked this post
  19. #162
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    It might be going a bit of track but I have always wondered why we did not join the Nordic Combat Uniform project, as we all expect to deploy troops to similar places through UN and EU missions it might have make sense to take advantage of a common uniform.
    from what i can see day-to-day engagement with other EU militaries has dropped through the floor. i work (admittedly in a NATO context) with middle/senior ranking officers from the Nordic countries, France, Germany, the Baltics, and of course we talk shop - there's a bare minimum to support the next EUBG rotation with Germany, but thats it. by contrast we'll be doing something (training/doctrine/diplomacy/exercises with all of those militaries, whether in an a NATO context or just a 'friendly neighbours' context every single week.

    the MOU with the UK is effectively dead, nothing came of it apart from unanswered emails, and the Nordics are the most disapointed of all, given the proportion of UN/EU deployments they do that include Ireland. i worked on a JW were Sweden (non-NATO member) specifically asked if we could arrange for an Irish FAC team to be involved so they could really work the air support angle for an upcoming EUBG. no answer.

  20. #163
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,990
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    from what i can see day-to-day engagement with other EU militaries has dropped through the floor. i work (admittedly in a NATO context) with middle/senior ranking officers from the Nordic countries, France, Germany, the Baltics, and of course we talk shop - there's a bare minimum to support the next EUBG rotation with Germany, but thats it. by contrast we'll be doing something (training/doctrine/diplomacy/exercises with all of those militaries, whether in an a NATO context or just a 'friendly neighbours' context every single week.

    the MOU with the UK is effectively dead, nothing came of it apart from unanswered emails, and the Nordics are the most disapointed of all, given the proportion of UN/EU deployments they do that include Ireland. i worked on a JW were Sweden (non-NATO member) specifically asked if we could arrange for an Irish FAC team to be involved so they could really work the air support angle for an upcoming EUBG. no answer.
    Of course who did the U.K. ask?

    I’m assuming DoD

    There is a particular subunit doing short-term exchanges and other engagement with Brecon .... that is NCOTW

  21. #164
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Of course who did the U.K. ask?

    I’m assuming DoD

    There is a particular subunit doing short-term exchanges and other engagement with Brecon .... that is NCOTW
    its Mil-to-Mil at Colonel level. thats my source anyway, theres a MOD-DOD link, and knowing the byzantine nature of DOD-DF relations there's some co-ordination on the UK side

  22. #165
    Lt Colonel
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding tagging on to orders - are the DF hampered at all by the requirements to tender? I mean if that was the case, it would at least seem polite to say as much.

    Regarding things like JW... It does seem odd that the DF can deploy on NATO lead missions, but not NATO lead exercises... At least if they include bang bang elements - given that they have participated in things like Combined Endeavour.

    Actually, maybe another poster was right and the problem is all in the titles - ropebag, can you arrange for JW to be retitled into something more expedient for our situation, something like "Non-aligned shooty bang bang exercise that is not indicative of any wavering of Ireland's oft referenced, but functionally meaningless, tradition of neutrality 19-2."

  23. Likes ropebag liked this post
  24. #166
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure that tendering is quite the obstacle that some suggest - we somehow manage to buy stuff without tendering all the time (RC-135, P-8, E-7 Wedgetail), and the NS bought the fourth P60 with no pre-contracted option-to-buy or tender: they were offered it by Appledore, thought it was a good plan and bought it. No one took the Government to court over it, and with €80million at stake, any of the European yards would have thrown a hissy fit if they had any grounds to.

    It would be very easy to call a boot buy a UOR - if you blokes have no boots then it's urgent, and it's certainly an operational requirement to be able to walk on non-carpeted surfaces....
    Last edited by ropebag; 2nd July 2019 at 19:09.

  25. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes EUFighter liked this post
  26. #167
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,990
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pym View Post
    Regarding tagging on to orders - are the DF hampered at all by the requirements to tender? I mean if that was the case, it would at least seem polite to say as much.

    Regarding things like JW... It does seem odd that the DF can deploy on NATO lead missions, but not NATO lead exercises... At least if they include bang bang elements - given that they have participated in things like Combined Endeavour.

    Actually, maybe another poster was right and the problem is all in the titles - ropebag, can you arrange for JW to be retitled into something more expedient for our situation, something like "Non-aligned shooty bang bang exercise that is not indicative of any wavering of Ireland's oft referenced, but functionally meaningless, tradition of neutrality 19-2."
    Absolutely nothing to stop deploying on exercises, once we have signed the SOFAs

    Except DoD and Money

  27. #168
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    its Mil-to-Mil at Colonel level. thats my source anyway, theres a MOD-DOD link, and knowing the byzantine nature of DOD-DF relations there's some co-ordination on the UK side
    Its all well and good talking Colonel to Colonel, but when a GOC needs to ask low ranking civvies in the DOD with makeyuppy jobs to loan a tent to a community group, you can bet that there is no prospect of jumping on a on the likes of a boot tender at the last minute. You also need to remember that the DF doesn't get to buy its own clothes. It all goes through the office of government procurement.....

  28. #169
    Commander in Chief apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    5,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    A group of P.A's just returned from Exercise Guardian Angel in Spain and that was a NATO exercise. Pics up on IKON this week.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac


    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  29. Thanks DeV, Truck Driver thanked for this post
  30. #170
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,990
    Post Thanks / Like
    New DF & AGS tender issued
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/pu.../publictenders

    DF wise:
    Boot lightweight multi-role Brown
    Lightweight safety boot Brown for Arty units
    Flying boot AC
    Flame Retardant Safety Boot Black for NS
    Operational Leather Boot Brown for ARW
    SD boot black other ranks
    SD Boot Brown Officers
    SD court shoe black other ranks
    SD court shoe Brown Officers

    Closing date 23/9/19

  31. Likes apod liked this post
  32. #171
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    3,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see why the ARW need a different operational boot to everyone else's operational boot...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  33. Likes ropebag, apod liked this post
  34. #172
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I don't see why the ARW need a different operational boot to everyone else's operational boot...
    New DF & AGS tender issued
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/pu.../publictenders

    DF wise:
    Boot lightweight multi-role Brown
    Lightweight safety boot Brown for Arty units
    Flying boot AC
    Flame Retardant Safety Boot Black for NS
    Operational Leather Boot Brown for ARW
    SD boot black other ranks
    SD Boot Brown Officers
    SD court shoe black other ranks
    SD court shoe Brown Officers

    Closing date 23/9/19
    Why cant the Naval Service (less than 1,000 people) be the same brown as everyone else (Army, Air Corps, ARW). It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and more uniform across the entire DF!

    Sure that would make sense so it wont happen!

    https://www.stripes.com/news/navy-co...dates-1.451147

    "“They want uniforms that are comfortable, lightweight, breathable … and they want fewer of them,” he said.

    Black-leather safety boots will remain standard for the green camouflage uniform, but commanding officers may authorize the optional wear of the Navy certified desert-tan or coyote-brown, rough-side-out leather non-safety boots when safety boots are not required.
    Last edited by TangoSierra; 3rd July 2019 at 21:08.

  35. #173
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I don't see why the ARW need a different operational boot to everyone else's operational boot...
    Speshul.

    Actually, it doesn't look like anyone else is get an 'operational' boot, everyone else just gets a 'lightweight, multi-role boot' or a safety boot.

    I would put good odds on the lightweight boot being some cheap and cheerful thing that's fine for mooching around the range and pacing the office floor, but somewhat less than ideal for people lugging 40kg of gear + rifle up a mountain in the dark, in February.

  36. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, DeV liked this post
  37. #174
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    3,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had that thought myself...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  38. Likes ropebag liked this post
  39. #175
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,990
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I don't see why the ARW need a different operational boot to everyone else's operational boot...
    Strange that they making them wear issue boots!

    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    Why cant the Naval Service (less than 1,000 people) be the same brown as everyone else (Army, Air Corps, ARW). It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and more uniform across the entire DF!

    Sure that would make sense so it wont happen!

    https://www.stripes.com/news/navy-co...dates-1.451147
    Because they need to be fire retardant

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •