Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadet Payscale

Hi All,

I'm just wondering if someone could let me know how the Cadet Payscale works?
    Does it increase every 3 months,, or upon hitting landmarks?

Thank you!

Cadets are point 1 the first year and point 2 for the second.

The further points are irrelevant as cadets won't reach point 3 if all goes well.

No monthly increases or for landmarks etc. Cadets don't have much time to be spending their pay anyway!

Comment

I assume points 3 and above are for AC cadets (not sure about NS)

Comment

As Auldsod said, you go in on Pt 1, after 12 full months, you go on Pt 2. If all goes to plan you end up commissioned after a few months on Pt 2. If you got back classed for any reason you would end up on Pt 3.

Cadet pay has improved a lot over the years but is still crap. We used to get bills that might be €400 at times from a salary of €1100pm

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
          As Auldsod said, you go in on Pt 1, after 12 full months, you go on Pt 2. If all goes to plan you end up commissioned after a few months on Pt 2. If you got back classed for any reason you would end up on Pt 3.

Cadet pay has improved a lot over the years but is still crap. We used to get bills that might be €400 at times from a salary of €1100pm
          Agreed.

You're not in your cadetship (or the DF) to make money. Best to suck it up and get the bump up after commissioning.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            I assume points 3 and above are for AC cadets (not sure about NS)
            NS cadetship comes in under two years unless backclassed for whatever reason.

Not sure how long flight training is in the AC and if that pushes into a third year. Would seem exceptionally long to be in essentially a basic training environment (even though I've same opinion about the NS cadetships).

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
              NS cadetship comes in under two years unless backclassed for whatever reason.

Not sure how long flight training is in the AC and if that pushes into a third year. Would seem exceptionally long to be in essentially a basic training environment (even though I've same opinion about the NS cadetships).
              AC is 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                AC is 3 years
                Dev, duration of AC cadetships are not written in stone and what you state as fact is a rough estimate.

AC cadetships vary widely. From intake to commissioning has taken as little as two years to as long as three and a half in recent times.

A RACO document published recently forecasts that the current class which will commence ground school very soon are looking at up to four years, from intake to commissioning, and that the next class to be inducted very soon will potentially be in training for between 4-5 years. So, the extra payscales will most certainly be used. Significant changes have been made to the wings course to try and speed up the training. Time will tell as to whether it will affect the end product.

As there was last year, for a short period of time there will be four classes of almost 40 AC cadets all in various stages of training.

The idiotic decision to not recruit any AC cadets in 2008 & 2009 and the subsequent recruitment of tiny classes of 3-5 is the chicken coming home to roost. Of course, no one could have accurately forecast the large scale exodus (of mainly rotary crews) but to ignore natural wastage is criminal. But, as per, no one faces accountability.

More pilots are scheduled to retire this year already than cadets who are expected to be commissioned. This doesn't include ATC which has its own HR issues.

To the OP, unless you have significant existing financial commitments (mortgage/rent, kids etc) you will survive just fine.

Comment

Absolutely and the length can vary depending on weather, aircraft availability and instr availability

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                    Dev, duration of AC cadetships are not written in stone and what you state as fact is a rough estimate.

AC cadetships vary widely. From intake to commissioning has taken as little as two years to as long as three and a half in recent times.

A RACO document published recently forecasts that the current class which will commence ground school very soon are looking at up to four years, from intake to commissioning, and that the next class to be inducted very soon will potentially be in training for between 4-5 years. So, the extra payscales will most certainly be used. Significant changes have been made to the wings course to try and speed up the training. Time will tell as to whether it will affect the end product.

As there was last year, for a short period of time there will be four classes of almost 40 AC cadets all in various stages of training.

The idiotic decision to not recruit any AC cadets in 2008 & 2009 and the subsequent recruitment of tiny classes of 3-5 is the chicken coming home to roost. Of course, no one could have accurately forecast the large scale exodus (of mainly rotary crews) but to ignore natural wastage is criminal. But, as per, no one faces accountability.

More pilots are scheduled to retire this year already than cadets who are expected to be commissioned. This doesn't include ATC which has its own HR issues.

To the OP, unless you have significant existing financial commitments (mortgage/rent, kids etc) you will survive just fine.
                    Three and half years is very long. Surely an argument for commissioning pre-winging there. The officer could always be binned or moved into a ground role if flight training is failed.

I may be making a massive assumption here but there have surely been cases where cadets have being winged but have failed training on type afterwards?

Comment

The Air Corps is the one branch of the DF I have very little knowledge of. I am very surprised that the Air Corps is not able to define the length of time it takes to train Air Corps cadets. Both the Army and Naval Service are able to set out the length of time for the various stages but the Air Corps is not (per military.ie).

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                        The Air Corps is the one branch of the DF I have very little knowledge of. I am very surprised that the Air Corps is not able to define the length of time it takes to train Air Corps cadets. Both the Army and Naval Service are able to set out the length of time for the various stages but the Air Corps is not (per military.ie).
                        It may be dependent on a number of factors such as aircraft availability and other operational needs. Having only eight aircraft for a large number of cadets can't help either. I can see why it's far more difficult for the AC to stick a time on the flight training portion but like yourself Bravo20, I can't claim to have a great deal of knowledge.

Comment

When your weather dependent ....

I think I read somewhere that since the PC9 pilots are failing later in the wings course than with the Marchetti/Fouga

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                            Three and half years is very long. Surely an argument for commissioning pre-winging there. The officer could always be binned or moved into a ground role if flight training is failed.

I may be making a massive assumption here but there have surely been cases where cadets have being winged but have failed training on type afterwards?
                            You are correct. Your suggestion makes total sense. However. If you are a bean counter it saves money to pay an individual as a cadet at €18k per year rather than as an officer at €30k+ a year. That is the only reason as far as I can see.

I have never heard of anyone failing a type conversion course after completing a wings course.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                              You cannot expect a defined time when the longest and most important part of the course is entirely dependent on weather which is completely outside of anyone's control. Somewhere between 30-40% of planned sorties are cancelled by weather. This is before you consider aircraft servicability and instructor availability. The army and naval service don't have to suffer to the same extent, especially in relation to the weather.

A service bulletin for a specific maintenance aspect can ground a fleet. That can't be planned for.

There are so many variables that cannot be predicted, hence why there is no definitive plan.

A class of 10 will take significantly longer than 5 simply because there are only so many slots per day. Its just simple maths before you consider all the other variables.

Comment

Working...
                              X