Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Security Duty Allowance

Do ASM / NSR receive all the allowances they are entitled to?

Eg Patrol Duty Allowance, Security Duty Allowance, Tech Pay, Sea going allowance

I'm especially interested to hear if they get SDA, on/off camp?, whether or not replacing PDF personnel!

Muff Diver
    Post Thanks / Like
    PDA is always paid, although the timing can be erratic.
    SDA is only paid when performing a duty in place of a member of the PDF.
    The NSR do not go on camp, the vast majority of courses are done in haulbowline and the normal guard and stand to are in place.
    SDA is not paid while under training.
    Tech pay is not something we have (to my knowledge) pursued.
    Sea going allowance is PDA.
    No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
    No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Vice Admiral

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading up on the NSR here as I'm hoping to join but I'm a bit confused about how the allowances work.

Are PDA and SDA allowance taxable?

Does an NSR member just get the security allowance for working a weekend in Haulbowline or do they also get their weekly pay pro-rated to two days?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    Reading up on the NSR here as I'm hoping to join but I'm a bit confused about how the allowances work.

Does an NSR member just get the security allowance for working a weekend in Haulbowline or do they also get their weekly pay pro-rated to two days?
    I’d imagine it is taxable

Can’t speak for NSR but if I do a security duty (I get 2 days pay (no duty allowance)) with Army reserve

6. Likes Auldsod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope!... this has been the age old argument for the DF doing things on the cheap, bring in the reservist to do the duty and pay him a flat days rate saving the unit the cost of duty money, the logic being mandays used in support of units are seen as training days rather than actual duties.

they don't qualify for PDA ( Sea going money) for time afloat as PDA can only be paid to persons post to a ship rather than those attached.
    Time for another break I think......

8. Likes DeV liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    When the RDF reorg happened, we were still in the doldrums in terms of pay for members (as opposed to now where we are raking it it haha). At the time one of RDFRAs shooting themselves in the foot moments was to say cut & burn the PDF and instead have thousands more reservists. One of the means of placating the representative associations (PDF) was to issue a directive that a reservist would not be used for a duty that would cost a PDF man an allowance that would otherwise be due. Hence RDF still do not get paid SDA even when on duty beside a PDF

10. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    When the RDF reorg happened, we were still in the doldrums in terms of pay for members (as opposed to now where we are raking it it haha). At the time one of RDFRAs shooting themselves in the foot moments was to say cut & burn the PDF and instead have thousands more reservists. One of the means of placating the representative associations (PDF) was to issue a directive that a reservist would not be used for a duty that would cost a PDF man an allowance that would otherwise be due. Hence RDF still do not get paid SDA even when on duty beside a PDF
    Plus of course it means money is saved from the PDF allowances subhead and it comes from the RDF pay subhead instead. It isn’t huge money by any stretch, but it also means the mandays actually get used (1 formation last year actually used all their mandays last year and were given more.

Financially the reservist is probably better off getting 2 mandays instead of 1 with SDA (gross anyway)

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Plus of course it means money is saved from the PDF allowances subhead
    No, they are not allowed to try and save money by using RDF instead. There is a DCOS LOI on it

13. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, they are not allowed to try and save money by using RDF instead. There is a DCOS LOI on it
    So who is getting the SDA in that case?

It may not be the intend but it surely must be the effect?

We aren’t talking huge numbers of people so the saving wouldn’t even be €10,000 across the whole DF

Post Thanks / Like
    That is not correct. The directive regarding the payment of SDA was issued long before the re-org. In fact it was never paid, there was a ban on the use of RDF for a security duties for a period as a result of the case taken and individual, supported by RDFRA in the early noughties to the WRC (or whatever its equivalent was at the time).

16. Likes na grohmití, hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Up to until maybe 2000 or so there was a security duty Manday allotment wasn’t ? That has been zero since and Training manday allocations are used.

There was a proposal from an individual (not a RDFRA policy)

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason I asked is because the information on the NSR page on military.ie states that "The NSR also carry out land based security duties at the Naval Base on Haulbowline Island, Cork. These duties are carried out at weekends and the reservists who carry them out are paid the standard Permanent Defence Force allowances for these duties".

The site also mentions "Patrols are typically 2 or 3 weeks in duration. You will be paid for this training and also receive a sea going allowance". Seems to be a contradicting the actual practice then so!

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    That is not correct. The directive regarding the payment of SDA was issued long before the re-org. In fact it was never paid, there was a ban on the use of RDF for a security duties for a period as a result of the case taken and individual, supported by RDFRA in the early noughties to the WRC (or whatever its equivalent was at the time).
    It was reiterated in 2013. I have the letter

Post Thanks / Like
    Reiterated but not a direct correlation.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Allowances for Reservists , and many other things, should have been dealt with by a revision of R5/R6/S7/A18 (Regulations) and R5 Admin Instrs since the 2012 Re-organisation * and,indeed, to deal with massive gaps in the 2005 re-org as well. A couple of amendments to the 1954 act would not hurt either.

This should have reflected the current status of the Reserve and its relationship to the Permanent Force .

It is nothing less than awful that 6 years later nothing has been done about this
    Last edited by trellheim; 6th April 2018 at 13:13.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

22. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason I asked is because the information on the NSR page on military.ie states that "The NSR also carry out land based security duties at the Naval Base on Haulbowline Island, Cork. These duties are carried out at weekends and the reservists who carry them out are paid the standard Permanent Defence Force allowances for these duties".

The site also mentions "Patrols are typically 2 or 3 weeks in duration. You will be paid for this training and also receive a sea going allowance". Seems to be a contradicting the actual practice then so!
    It your on full time training and it is authorised you are paid. It could be a single day or over 3 weeks depending on what your doing (everyone is more or less guaranteed they will get at least 7 days fulltime Training annually (if they are available))

Post Thanks / Like

But you can't receive sea going allowance as you are not posted to the ship, you are on attachment and the NS has never paid PDA to those who are on attachment. To be posted you must be filling a recognised vacancy and be replacing a crew member who has been permanently been detached. Given the NSR members originating unit is his NSR unit and not the ship.. he can't be paid PDA.

The other issue being that the time aboard ship is only creditable for PDA if the the ship is on a recognised patrol of fixed duration...ie time beyond Roches point and back, not sitting alongside . Back in my day Security allowances were not payable while on patrol, as in duties alongside sentries or QM, as you were actually 'at sea' and being paid PDA.

Patrols are no longer two or three weekers!

So who is getting the SDA in that case?
    No one.... if its not applied for its not paid, it remains in the budget, the unspent portion is returned to central funding at end of year.

In fact it was never paid, there was a ban on the use of RDF for a security duties
    There was a period in Clonmel where man power was so tight the Res Cav squadron were doing all the mid week duties with and the 12Bn guys doing the weekends. We used to get a weeks camp , doing three guards in the week. Everyone was happy until someone outside the loop insisted on Sgt Guard Commanders instead of Cpls and the pool dried up. Got the Bn through a bind..and we all made a few quid. We gladly left the Bn guys do the weekends.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    There was a period in Clonmel where man power was so tight the Res Cav squadron were doing all the mid week duties with and the 12Bn guys doing the weekends. We used to get a weeks camp , doing three guards in the week. Everyone was happy until someone outside the loop insisted on Sgt Guard Commanders instead of Cpls and the pool dried up. Got the Bn through a bind..and we all made a few quid. We gladly left the Bn guys do the weekends.
    27 Bn used to do it the other way around. One of the local FCA Lts was unemployed or on very reduced hours. He used to do a lot of the weekends

26. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Early 90s I was doing a couple per week in Fermoy ! getting paid on a daily basis how ever they managed that. I was on short time from my regular job 2 days per week, two Guards in Fermoy, I was making more than working full time.

Saw me through the winter of 92/93.. eager trooper I was

28. Likes na grohmití, sofa liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did similar in Limerick during the lean years of 2002, when I was between jobs. Two duties a week allowed the PDF to get involved in large scale exercises that the DF had up to that point not been able to achieve, moving a brigade as one to the ex area, tactically.
    Two on, two off, and a day as a sub. Kept the wolf from the door until I got a job.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

30. Likes hptmurphy, sofa liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    I did similar in Limerick during the lean years of 2002, when I was between jobs. Two duties a week allowed the PDF to get involved in large scale exercises that the DF had up to that point not been able to achieve, moving a brigade as one to the ex area, tactically.
    Two on, two off, and a day as a sub. Kept the wolf from the door until I got a job.
    Cork did the same in 2001.

Cathal Brugha did the same in 2004.

I think it should be done again now. DF is so understrength that lads are doing nothing but duties. Exercises only happen during an MRE at this stage

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    The difference is, in this time of relative economic strength, is there anough members of the reserve with the spare time fo give the commitment? That is before we go down the road of mandays etc.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    My location has a set (not unambitous) target for Duties completed by RDF by quarter and year since Q3 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Cork did the same in 2001.

Cathal Brugha did the same in 2004.

I think it should be done again now. DF is so understrength that lads are doing nothing but duties. Exercises only happen during an MRE at this stage
    Yeah...sorry I'd like to give you a dig out again......but I'm no longer serving

Thread Information