Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Yeah...sorry I'd like to give you a dig out again......but I'm no longer serving
    Serving is the thing. All personnel in uniform, and at a particular rank, should slot in, and be capable of doing the job at the same rates and allowances of the rank. Treating reserves as dogsbody's on exclusive lower rates is an embarrassment and a perpetuation of the FEMPI conditions long since passed.
    The big difficulty is the NSR and it's history. We failed to train or use them as sailors. They could be fully marinised in a 8 week course hitting all the key essentials to be done, particularily at sea . We lack a certain amount of vision not realising that personnel in sailors uniforms should be capable of going to sea. NSR officers could act as bridge watch keepers after 1 week GMDSS course, 1 week rule of the road, 1 week chartwork, and 2 weeks basic stitching it together on board a training desig. ship. In 1992 I recommended that they(SM) be used or disbanded.

2. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Serving is the thing. All personnel in uniform, and at a particular rank, should slot in, and be capable of doing the job at the same rates and allowances of the rank. Treating reserves as dogsbody's on exclusive lower rates is an embarrassment and a perpetuation of the FEMPI conditions long since passed.
    The big difficulty is the NSR and it's history. We failed to train or use them as sailors. They could be fully marinised in a 8 week course hitting all the key essentials to be done, particularily at sea . We lack a certain amount of vision not realising that personnel in sailors uniforms should be capable of going to sea. NSR officers could act as bridge watch keepers after 1 week GMDSS course, 1 week rule of the road, 1 week chartwork, and 2 weeks basic stitching it together on board a training desig. ship. In 1992 I recommended that they(SM) be used or disbanded.
    This is now the case I believe. WHile the NSR cannot fill appointments at sea, they can slot in to do most of the job required.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

4. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm assuming doing security duties down at the Naval Base would only really be a goer for the Cork and Waterford units anyway.

It's quite a trek from Dublin and Limerick and you'd see any pay benefit eaten up by fuel and tolls!

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auldsod View Post
    I'm assuming doing security duties down at the Naval Base would only really be a goer for the Cork and Waterford units anyway.

It's quite a trek from Dublin and Limerick and you'd see any pay benefit eaten up by fuel and tolls!
    Almost the same distance from Haulbowline to Limerick as it is from Haulbowline to Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatrfurt.
    (135km to Blaa, excellent roads, 125km to the Treaty, OK roads)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm never down in Waterford. I always assume it's a lot closer to Cork than it actually is and I guess Haulbowline requires the long drive around! Still though - relatively long drive to both places!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm told by one who does the journey regularly that its at least 2 hours from Waterford to Cork.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I'm told by one who does the journey regularly that its at least 2 hours from Waterford to Cork.
    Via the coast road maybe...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Via the coast road maybe...
    And hour to Killeagh......anything after that is a good guess.

I'm told by one who does the journey regularly that its at least 2 hours from Waterford to Cork
    24hr Guard and then drive home..... big no no... we were stopped doing that in Fermoy years ago when we used to come from Clonmel. Transport had to be provided.
    Time for another break I think......

Post Thanks / Like
    And hour to Killeagh......anything after that is a good guess.

24hr Guard and then drive home..... big no no... we were stopped doing that in Fermoy years ago when we used to come from Clonmel. Transport had to be provided.
    Does the AD still have a detachment on Haulbowline and if so can they not do guards etc?
    Time for another break I think......

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the AD still have a detachment on Haulbowline and if so can they not do guards etc?
    The ADR ceased to exist in 2013.

RDF involvement in AD Btys ceased (as far as I know) at the same time

13. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post

Thread Information