RDF Courses and Promotions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Happened when women were first signed on in 1992. We had females on NCOs courses within 18 months, Sergeants with 24 months and I reckon officers not long afterwards. Vacancies that had been held open for years were flooded with females.

In my former unit it took me 2 years to get to NCO rank because of my backround, and a further 9 years to get my third stripe due to lack of vacancies and then to turn up on camp to be greeted by a female Sergeant who hadn't been born when I first donned uniform, who was usually a PA with the attitude of attila the cnut, really galled me...and lets not go there with officers.. Females who couldn't dress them selves or carry a rifle warranting a salute soon after they had left puberty!
    So it sounds like the there was a lot of nepotism and misguided promoting going on in the reserves of yore.

Back to the present, what do you all think about current promotion speeds etc within the RDF?

Should there be an expectation that it should take 2-3 years before loading onto a PNCO course and another few years after that before getting a POC?

If a member has got themselves up to speed, is performing very well and is putting in the hours - should they not be placed on a POC or PNCO course as early as possible (if there is recognisable potential)? Or do we believe that they have to put a number of years under their belt as a junior soldier/rating just to show their commitment?

Just to qualify my comments on the above; I do understand it will take time for a joiner to get from recruit to 3*/AB and I am suggesting the above for a scenario where you've a unit where vacancies exist and need to be filled at these levels.

Comment

See post 12

Comment

Add to that, you can now go on a POC as a 3 star, if deemed suitable.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          See post 12
          I read that post but that's not the practice that seems to be operating in every unit. I was less querying the mechanics of promotion but how it actually works in practice and what members' opinions on here are? Forgetting about new entrants being ex-pdf, being engineers, naval watchkeepers or Doctors - do you believe a new joiner should spend 3-4 years at 3* before Corporal and a similar length of time at Cpl before going for a POC - or should someone good be moved onto career courses as soon as possible and feck the begrudgers?

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
          Add to that, you can now go on a POC as a 3 star, if deemed suitable.
          I've heard about this as well but didn't know the change had been implemented. From what I heard it's a differing interpretation of the regulations allowing non-NCO's to be commissioned with a degree being a key consideration. Apparently the degree type doesn't matter. I know an NSR AB got on a POC course lately but he had a relevant skill set.

Could be bull as well but I've also heard that this will allow commissioning up to 45 if the candidate is deemed suitable.

Comment

What I outlined is the actual practice, generally you would see people on a PNCOs Cse with 2/3 years as a Pte 3*. There can be exceptions.

There is a pic of the latest PNCO Cse on the RDFRA Facebook page, while not a guarantee of accuracy..... there are not too many 7 year service medals being worn.

It remains to be seen how the POC’s course will be advertised

Comment

What I outlined is the actual practice, generally you would see people on a PNCOs Cse with 2/3 years as a Pte 3*. There can be exceptions.

There is a pic of the latest PNCO Cse on the RDFRA Facebook page, while not a guarantee of accuracy..... there are not too many 7 year service medals being worn.

Yeah, I knew there were going to be no new regulations but the current ones are very open to interpretation though. It'll be interesting to see how it's advertised alright.

Comment

Speaking as an instructor on that course - I got my 7 year medal right before a 1916 commemoration in 2016, along with the 100 year medal. - what was missing was my 12 year bar.

Every year SINCE my 7th year i was asking for the medal and didnt get it.
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                  But you didn't have to go through an interview process to get in, they did.
                  We did, there was always an interview process within the unit , both for recruits and promotions. I have very little faith in formal interviews as what you get at interview very often doesn't materialize further down the line.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Back to the present, what do you all think about current promotion speeds etc within the RDF?

Should there be an expectation that it should take 2-3 years before loading onto a PNCO course and another few years after that before getting a POC?
                    Promotion needs to be based on courses done, there is no point in sending 19 year olds out on a PNCOs course when they don'y have the knowledge expected of them to do the job. No one should be even considered unless they have a recognised amount of corps specific course done.

I'm guilty of being fast tracked and then spending so much time training other people on the basics that I didn't acquired corps specific courses . 3 stars often got the courses then as it more appropriate to Trooper Gunners as opposed to Sergeant gunners!, does make sense to a certain degree but it limits what NCOs can do for a long period of time... bear in mind a reserve AML 90 course took nearly 18 months from being formed up to the first shoot.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                      Speaking as an instructor on that course - I got my 7 year medal right before a 1916 commemoration in 2016, along with the 100 year medal. - what was missing was my 12 year bar.

Every year SINCE my 7th year i was asking for the medal and didnt get it.
                      Put in a redress and you will, have it faster than light.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Put in a redress and you will, have it faster than light.
                        Might do that myself..... 21 done in the next year or 2, still waiting on 12 year bar

Comment

It all depends on how much you can attend and what is organised.

In some locations you could be a 3* within 12 months (or less) of joining

Comment

Working...
                          X