Sea King Retires from RN service.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea King Retires from RN service.

After over 50 years in service the RN is retiring from service, the last of its seakings, the AEWACS Mk7 ASa K Seaking version of 849 Sqn or "bagger" as its known. Merlin Mk 2 will be taking up this role on HMS Queen Elizabeth. They flew their last operational flight on the 14th.

They had planned to do a flypast tour of Devon tomorrow, but weather has meant they are deferring that flypast to wednesday

For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

There used to be a few based at Aldergrove in Op Banner days.

They'd fly when the RAF wouldn't due to the weather; I've heard various reasons for that such as Seaking had radar (not sure if it had), the pilots were used to flying without visual reference, and that the RN / RAF had different flying parameters.

I prefer to believe it was just because the RAF were cnuts 👍
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

No more.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Another piece on the Sea King retirement -

After almost 50 years of service, the last military Sea King helicopters flying in the UK will retire.
        'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I was suprised that there were Seakings still in service, but hadn't realised that they'd been on the go so long!

Comment

Originally posted by Burt View Post
            I was suprised that there were Seakings still in service, but hadn't realised that they'd been on the go so long!
            Royal Navy antiques - shame to see them go but they are long past their time - another nostalgia trip for the UK

Comment

Working...
            X